Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current home being advertised for rent

Options
  • 12-06-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

While browsing Daft seeing if there was potentially anything cheaper on the market - my current 1 year lease is up for renewal on July 9th - I noticed an apartment that looks a lot like my own. On closer inspection I realised it was my apartment - up for rent at €100 more a month than I'm paying.

The letting agency haven't said anything to us - we've never had a complaint or an issue with rent or anything.

Is this common? Can they just turf us out with less than a month's notice?

(I put my number down on the ad on Daft to see what they say tomorrow when they call me de novo)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

They may be using photos of your place to advertise another in the same building if the landlord owns more than one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

While browsing Daft seeing if there was potentially anything cheaper on the market - my current 1 year lease is up for renewal on July 9th - I noticed an apartment that looks a lot like my own. On closer inspection I realised it was my apartment - up for rent at €100 more a month than I'm paying.

The letting agency haven't said anything to us - we've never had a complaint or an issue with rent or anything.

Is this common? Can they just turf us out with less than a month's notice?

(I put my number down on the ad on Daft to see what they say tomorrow when they call me de novo)

Hmmm. Maybe in the same way as you're checking out the market, so too are they.

I'd check my lease first & see if there is an option to renew in it first.

Then I'd be looking to see if there was anywhere comparable/cheaper that I'd rather be renting before I played my hand with them & forced a confrontation & decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Don't recall there being any specific mention of a renewal - presumed it'd just enter a rolling renewal phase like any other places I've lived in. It's definitely our place too. Must investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

A lot of time if they are managing a few of the same apartments they will just put up one advert on Daft and continue to use it for all of them. I very much doubt they are going to turf you out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

They can't "turf you out" at the end of the lease, even if they wanted to! You acquired part 4 tenancy rights after 6 months and they can only terminate the lease on the basis of one of the clauses contained within.

You are however obliged to inform them of your intention to remain in the property on a part 4 tenancy between 3 and 1 months before the lease, or else you could be held liable for any costs incurred in re advertising. I'm not sure how this works if you intended to sign a new lease.

Note they are also entitled to a rent review after 12 months, so if you intend to stay in the property by the sounds of it be prepared for the landlord to try looking for €100 a month more in rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »
    They can't "turf you out" at the end of the lease, even if they wanted to! You acquired part 4 tenancy rights after 6 months and they can only terminate the lease on the basis of one of the clauses contained within.

You are however obliged to inform them of your intention to remain in the property on a part 4 tenancy between 3 and 1 months before the lease, or else you could be held liable for any costs incurred in re advertising. I'm not sure how this works if you intended to sign a new lease.

Note they are also entitled to a rent review after 12 months, so if you intend to stay in the property by the sounds of it be prepared for the landlord to try looking for €100 a month more in rent.

Correct like you said if the OP stays on he is libel for the costs incurred by them not advising in writing their intention to stay on as part 4. So advertising and EA costs are the OP's now. It makes no difference if they always intended to stay, they didn't advise of their intention in writing and therefore if they stay they are libel for the costs incurred by the landlord for not advising the same.

Plus like you said the LL is entitled to review the rent so the OP can expect to pay an increase aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'd just contact the agency and ask to stay another year under the same terms. If you have a 1 year contract, it's good practice to let the landlord know more than a month before the end of the contract if you want to stay on or not. If you didn't contact them, they may just assume that you don't want to stay any longer.

Advertisement