Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off bill pay phone plans buyer beware

• 12-06-2013 1:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Isn’t it funny how the price of phones and the subsidies the networks give you when purchasing the phones has come down a lot the past few years and yet the length of contracts has gone up on most networks and is now 24 months just to get the phone free these days.

I can remember back in the Eircell and Esat Digifone days you got the bestselling billpay phone(Nokia 5110 at the time) for free and a free gift of a cheap Trium or Sagem on ready to go for free.

I have been billpay since I was 18 and every time I look to renew my contract or shop around the contract term on all networks either goes up 6 months (most of them don’t offer 12 months now) or the new best seller is not available on 12/18 month contracts or is nearly the price of buying it on prepay.

Anyway my dad was looking at switching to bill pay as he keeps running out of credit and asked me to show him what phones and plans are available. He is 69 years old and has no idea how to use a smart phone so was just looking for something easy to use like the Samsung Cobble, Nokia 113 etc.
    So we shopped around all the networks and I couldn’t believe the prices they are charging people for pretty basic mobile phones. Not only were the phones cheaper on PAYG but two of these phones you can buy unlocked in Xtravision for under €60. All the networks are at it but Meteor is the worst for it. Some shocking examples below

Nokia Asha 201 on billpay
    Phone Monthly Contract Minutes Texts Data
    Price cost
    €79 20.33 18 months 200 200 500mb

Versus
    You can buy the same phone on Prepay for only €49 and if you don’t like pay as you go you could sign up for a 30 day sim only contract and get the exact same deal as above with no long contract

Alcatel One touch
    Phone Monthly Contract Minutes Texts Data
    Price cost
    €79 20.33 18 months 200 200 500mb

Versus
    Same phone on prepay €29 and again if you don’t like PAYG. 30 day contract same minutes/text as above for the same price per month no long contract

Doro PhoneEasy 409
    €79 billpay
    €60 prepay

Nokia 113
    €79 billpay
    €49 prepay

This has to be the biggest rip off for a phone ever. The Alcatel One Touch 233 is €19.99 on Prepay. I have seen these phones in Cork and Limerick for sale unlocked for just €25-30 euros. €79 Meteor bill pay

Anyone reading this who is considering getting a basic phone just for calling/texting like the models above on a €20-25 euro pm contract my advice is to shop around and check the price of the phone you want to buy on prepay as there is very little difference in the prices and a for extra few euros more for the phone you can stay out of a long contract and get the same deals on a 30 day contract.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There even a worse deal which is cold calling people and switching them to a worse plan with the carrot of extras the customer doesn't realize they don't need. My advice for older people, is never accept any cold calls. Just hang up. They almost always are out to screw you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

OP - its not a rip-off. It just shows you ahve to shop around and buy the phone/package that suits you.

Some phone companies, particularly Meteor don't want low user accounts, so price themselves out of the market.

Try three - 25quid a month, 12 months, free phone (choice of 4) or sim only as you can buy simple phones cheaply for 20.33 a month and up to 300 minutes.

At the end of the day your dad wants peace of mind and a basic phone. All networks have similar coverage, so just go for the cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

... rip off ... Try Germany or the Netherlands ...

Absolute RIP OFF for Mobile Data.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

Could you explain to me please, older non-tekkie, here.........about these phones?
    I have pc, learning by my mistakes and messing up horribly, a lot. I have fire hd,long story, but in bag, used for surfing web, books, gleaning info from search engines, emails and, recently someone put some music on for me, at last!
    I do.not understand mobile phones yet! Was never shown how to use it and cannot turn it off when on nor on when off. Never tested in my life and haven't the first clue. Asked at skin. College they give courses to beginners and a representative came to the ICA and said we could pop in for 10 mins and just be shown something quickly and it was free, the college (his college) said full course only, and it is certificates, blah, blah!
    I am too old, and the young and unemployed must be priority surely?
    eircom,not mentioned here yet, have my wireless hub, and home landline, I had to get a phone and I cannot work it except to turn it off and on at end of call, I cannot retrieve messages nor get rid of them!
    I do wish a rural service where I could nip in for 10 mins and be shown one thing and I could write it down (forgetful) in my techno books. I refer to them constantly and get along that way. I write them in plain language, do this and see this, next line - press this and get that, once I have sorted this lot out I find writing it out this way to be really practical and useful. IT WORKS.
    I do not have the stress of struggling to remember remember these things nor the added expense of manuals, which are another load of difficulty as far as I can see.
    I also have lost, forgotten oh, messed up with so many passwords that I suddenly thought the next best thing to instantvrecall was instant retrieval! I use an access book for the passwords as at least I can find the m or the g and just have a little group to check and that is so helpful so do share that one with your mum's and dads, grannies and grandfathers, I think they will be delighted!

I did write address book not access accessible. My writing does not always come out correctly - sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Check out the local library. There maybe ads for local volunteer which help people with technical things like computers and smartphones.

wimbledon started this very morn......the world stopped, I got off and will not be back for 2 weeks, - and floating on cloud.................

Advertisement