Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifle Pellets

Options
  • 12-06-2013 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Looking for .22 air rifle pellets got wasp nearly finished the tin in 2 days found they werent accurate!Looking for jsb exact,RWS or H&N.I was gona chance buying online but im not gona take the chance now that i think of the consequences!In the Laois/Kilkenny area but might travel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭slug gun

You can buy online with no dire consequences! As i mentioned to you before, just apply for a free import document from the Dept. of Justice, and when you receive it, place your order with an online shop.

I'm having great success with JSB's at the moment. Order them from intershoot, in NI, and they will arrive by post totally legally:)

BTW, the old Eley wasps were great pellets but they are now made by Bisley and are sadly rubbish. Original tins of eley wasps are traded for big money now, to be shot by anoracks in their vintage/classic airguns...me being one!:D

Enjoy your '97 and JSB's should bring out the best in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

slug gun wrote: »
    You can buy online with no dire consequences! As i mentioned to you before, just apply for a free import document from the Dept. of Justice, and when you receive it, place your order with an online shop.

I'm having great success with JSB's at the moment. Order them from intershoot, in NI, and they will arrive by post totally legally :)

Is there a link to the import license?What do you have to do exactly bit confused.I have 500 rounds on my license cant i get maybe 2 or 3 thousand pellets if i cant might not bother.500 rounds for a airgun is ridiculous! :mad:

Oh and do u get 5.51 or 5.52?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

what ones do you find best for hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭marcp

Bisleys. Hollow points.

• Advertisement

I didnt do this test thought id upload it for u guys! :)

I think jsb are the best!Then rws or crosman!I really want jsb's and think ill order a few tins! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

1shot16 wrote: »
    Is there a link to the import license? What do you have to do exactly bit confused.

Instructions and the form are available here: http://justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Individuals#import_eu
    1shot16 wrote: »
    I have 500 rounds on my license cant i get maybe 2 or 3 thousand pellets if i cant might not bother.500 rounds for a airgun is ridiculous! :mad:

If you've 500 rounds on your license they'll only grant you an import permit for 500 rounds. If you get caught in possession of more than 500 rounds you could be done for it. It's stupid, but it's the law.

Be glad you weren't given a limit of 100. It's happened to a bunch of air rifle shooters!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I have removed a couple of posts lads.

People fail to realise that bragging about not having to go through the proper channels to import ammo (and whether you agree with it or not it is ammo) on an open forum has more consequences than the mods giving you a bollocking.

It may result in Garda intervention, and in such cases Boards.ie will co-operate completely with any Garda request.

So please exercise some common sense. If it's just bragging then think before you type as it can cause you all sort of grief for a moments carelessness. If it's happening then it's illegal and as such we will not tolerate it here.

If you wish to discuss this further feel free to contact me or any other mod via private messaging (PM).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

IRLConor wrote: »
    Be glad you weren't given a limit of 100. It's happened to a bunch of air rifle shooters!

Then you cant legally buy ammo so if the guards give you 100 or 200 rounds your going to have to break the law to get them.So how do they expect you to accuire 100 or even 200 rounds of ammo(pellets)

Most Gardaí are not firearms experts. Actually most are not even familiar with firearms. So you need to instruct, and educate them. Most Gardaí run by the guidelines which say 100 rounds for hunting/plinking. This works for nearly all firearms except the air rifle due to the way the ammo is sold.

As IRLConor said in another thread, take an FCA2 and go back to your local station. Speak with you FO and explain to him/her that pellets are sold in tins of 500. In order to keep within the restrictions of your license you need an increase.

This shows you are willing to "play ball". Don't ask for what you need ask for what you want. Then if it's reduced you are still within the limit. So if you want to have 2 tins of pellets then ask for 1,500. Explain that this is only three tins, and even bring along a pellet (one of them) to show him. Put his mind at rest that you are not buying pallets of ammo. When he sees the tin or the size of a pellet and realises that it's not an "arsenal" he will be more inclined to increase your limit.

If you only get the increase to 500 then at least you are legal.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

So if you are getting an air rifle apply for around 5,000 rounds so you get around 2,000 so that will get you 4 tins!

It's a fragile balance. You need to make an application for a decent amount, but not so high that they tell you to cop on and feck off. So asking for (example) 10,000 rounds when you only need 1,000 will not work.

When talking to your FO tell him/her that you travel only once a month to the dealers. In that time you use approx. 1,500 - 2,000 pellets. Tell him this is 3-4 tins. Allowing for the fact you might have some pellets left over in a tin (100 - 300 pellets) when you go to buy more you need to be legally covered for what you intend to buy, and what is remaining from the last purchase. So you are requesting a 2,000 limit to allow you to buy 3 tins, and have between 100 - 500 pellets from the previous buy.

Put a good case forward, and they will try and help you out.

Was in portlaoise rod and gun recently only had gamo and diana to my disbelief 500 diana .22 pellets were 27 euro :eek: :eek: :eek:!Thats over twice the price on ebay !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Thats highway robbery!!

You can get 500 good quality 22lrs for that price!!

cw67irl wrote: »
    You can get 500 good quality 22lrs for that price!!

Not to derail the thread too much, but the cheapest I've got decent .22lrs for is about €75 per 500. Is there someone selling good ammo for less than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Cci standards for €70/1000?

Not in the same grade as tenex but not a massive difference, What type are you using?

cw67irl wrote: »
    Cci standards for €70/1000?

Not in the same grade as tenex but not a massive difference, What type are you using?

Lapua Center-X mostly. The current batch I have produced 13.62mm and 12.24mm groups in testing. Each group was 10 shots at 50m, measured edge-to-edge. I only wish I could get those results from the shoulder!

I haven't put CCI Standard through my current rifle but in the previous rifle it patterned like a shotgun. If I spot a box on my travels I might stick some through my current rifle to see what the results are like.

Advertisement