Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now waking during night... Advice please

Options
  • 12-06-2013 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Our little one has always been a great sleeper at night. She's 20 weeks now and used to sleep from 20-06:30.

We started weaning a few weeks ago after phn advice and showing great Interest and she gets purée at about 11 & 15. She has four bottles also in day (which she rarely finishes!)

The last few nights she's been waking at 2 (doesn't appear to be in pain!) I've been preserving and she finally settles a couple of hours later but tonight when she woke I gave her a 4oz bottle, which she took 3oz of then managed to settle her to sleep all within half hour!

What I'm trying to ask is do you think a bit of food (fruity rice or something like that) should be given before bed to try and get her thru the night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

I spoke too soon! She was up three times in night in total!

Thinking see may be a bit constipated too do that's prob not helping... Any advice on what to give for that also?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Are you sure she's ready to digest solids?

20 weeks isn't quite 5 months (26 weeks is 6 months).

She's drinking fewer bottles now too so she'll need extra water as she'd be losing out on fluids she had before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

What fruit are you giving her? The rice may be constipating her. Why were you advised to wean her?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my small boy is about the same age he takes 6 x 210 bottles a day but is a bit unimpressed with solids.
    He is always warm so sleeps in a vest which makes a huge difference.
    Mine stopped his 10 hour sleeps too but I still get 6 or 7.

She's still taking the same amount of bottles as only took four anyway and with that doesn't always finish them all. Giving her apple, pear, banana, carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Nicky987 wrote: »
    She's still taking the same amount of bottles as only took four anyway and with that doesn't always finish them all. Giving her apple, pear, banana, carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash.

Now I don't know how true this is but I was told to avoid banana with my little man as he was quite prone to constipation. Also try some pureed mango, even at ten months, it still encourages my man to go to the toilet as it's high in fibre.

When he was about 4/5 months old his sleep pattern went out the window, wasn't going to bed until all hours and was waking, he also went completely off his food. As far as I know there is a growth spurt around that time! But again, it could be the heat! Its waking me up lots at night, never mind the little fella :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I personally avoid apple and banana. It was v hard on my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

My little man was the same although weaned a little later (almost 25 weeks) once we started on solids. They go through so many phases that pass as quick as they arrive! Just persevere,I always adopt the old phrase of bottle no 1 until baby is 1 so I always gave the bottle first and the solids were more top up! He is almost 11 months now,eats everything on sight and sleeps well again! Like your little one he went through the same phase

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Sounds like the four month sleep regression - completely normal, and it will pass. Google "wonder weeks" for more information on the developmental leaps that babies go through and the impact it has on their sleep patterns and other behaviour.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, hopefully only a phase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

I agree with the foods rice and banana are constipating. Also found puree apple caused upset tummy in my little man. Suffered very bad with constipation. I found a teaspoon of brown suger in 3oz boiled water really helped when he was bad. 20weeks is young. No harm in waiting a week or two to start again. You know best though. :)
    Good luck.

Advertisement