Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hampshire down sheep

• 12-06-2013 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

hi was wondering dose anyone know anyone that breeds Hampshire sheep am in donegal and has anyone kept any in the past ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

troygracie wrote: »
    hi was wondering dose anyone know anyone that breeds Hampshire sheep am in donegal and has anyone kept any in the past ?

Bought a Hampshire ram last year for the first time. Happy enough so far, his lambs seem to be doing good enough.

Breeders List here

See page 22 - seems to be a few breeders in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Bought a Hampshire ram last year for the first time. Happy enough so far, his lambs seem to be doing good enough.

Breeders List here

See page 22 - seems to be a few breeders in Donegal.
    Was it you John that put of pictures of them on the pictures thread ? They are class looking sheep .
    What are their positive traits ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Was it you John that put of pictures of them on the pictures thread ? They are class looking sheep .
    What are their positive traits ?

Hello Moy,

I posted this pic a good while back, is this it?

For me one positive trait I have found already was they are easier lambed than suffolks, which is what we had before.

They are supposed to be easier to fatten off grass as well rather than suffolks. Hard to say if I have found this to be the case. Although overall the lambs do seem fatter, but its hard to say... Just cos of the year that's in it, plus Hard to remember what they were like last year ;)

I killed the first 2 the other day, and the kill out 47% & 43% (45kg live, 19.5kg & 21.5kg dead)
    43% is a bit low isn't it...

But - I like them, we'll keep the two lads for another season anyways :)

Hello Moy,

I posted this pic a good while back, is this it?

For me one positive trait I have found already was they are easier lambed than suffolks, which is what we had before.

They are supposed to be easier to fatten off grass as well rather than suffolks. Hard to say if I have found this to be the case. Although overall the lambs do seem fatter, but its hard to say... Just cos of the year that's in it, plus Hard to remember what they were like last year ;)

I killed the first 2 the other day, and the kill out 47% & 43% (45kg live, 19.5kg & 21.5kg dead)
    43% is a bit low isn't it...

But - I like them, we'll keep the two lads for another season anyways :)
    Thats the one John , they have a really nice head .
    I dont keep sheep myself (yet) so I wouldnt be well up on the weights , but 20kg dead sounds ok ? What would the suffolks dead weight average be ?

Thats the one John , they have a really nice head .
    I dont keep sheep myself (yet) so I wouldnt be well up on the weights , but 20kg dead sounds ok ? What would the suffolks dead weight average be ?

How are you Moy,

Its more the % kill out rather than anything... 47% I am happy enough with, 43% is a bit low... but we'll see how the next bunch do.

Its strange to see a lad say "I dont have sheep yet" usually people who dont have sheep, tend to hate em ;):D

• Advertisement

I'm fine thanks John , hope you're good yourself .
    Would 50% be around the usual KO rate for them ?

I dont hate sheep , but Ive never had any either . My father has deep seated hatred for them so thats why they havent been here in years . :rolleyes:

One of my young lads has started to lose a bit of confidence in himself so I was thinking of getting a couple of ewes and a ram so we could learn something new together and hopefully get him to bring them to the odd show if he likes handling them

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Bought a few pedigree Hampshire downs last year.really happy with them.quiet and easy to manage(used to keep flock of soays, they were hard work) there was a some for sale on done deal recently up your way.good few lads breeding up there so you should get them handy enough.good luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭troygracie

is it much trouble getting a herd number for sheep ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I'm fine thanks John , hope you're good yourself .
    Would 50% be around the usual KO rate for them ?

I dont hate sheep , but Ive never had any either . My father has deep seated hatred for them so thats why they havent been here in years . :rolleyes:

One of my young lads has started to lose a bit of confidence in himself so I was thinking of getting a couple of ewes and a ram so we could learn something new together and hopefully get him to bring them to the odd show if he likes handling them

Have you many neighbours you don't know yet? :D

Have you many neighbours you don't know yet? :D
    First lesson for the young lad will be going in apologising for the break in :D If I start breeding them Con I hope the rams will start selling goodo back your way . We will be raking in the money then .
    Is there a show in Clarenbridge today actually ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement