Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC 2013 History Papers Wed. June 12th, 2013 - OL and HL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

loads of people want a's and did good, now the bell curve will destroy all our dreams....

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

I'm just going to ask this even if it is a stupid question, for the account on operation barbarossa will I get marks for talking about the battle of kursk and operation typhoon as part of my answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

I'm just going to ask this even if it is a stupid question, for the account on operation barbarossa will I get marks for talking about the battle of kursk and operation typhoon as part of my answer?

Was the battle of kursk part of barbarossa? I know Typhoon was and you'd definitely get marks for that. Dunno why you wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭OisinLAD

loads of people want a's and did good, now the bell curve will destroy all our dreams....

That's what I was thinking, but at the same I'm pretty sure the people in this thread are in like the top 5/10% of students in the country... because If you are actually that bothered about your exams that you post on boards talking about them.. you must give a **** how you do.. I duno If that makes sense.. But basically I think the standard of student who would post on boards is higher then people who don't :L

Because I'm the only person in our year who felt good after coming out of the exam today.. so maybe it's just that we're all hoping for A's and stuff, when most people would take the C/B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Do dates matter? For example I said Martin Luther was born in Saxony Germany, does that count as an SRS or would the dates need to be included? The same goes for columbus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 CaileAN!

I couldn't find the short questions in my paper, I'm not sure if they weren't there or two pages were stuck together. Would I lose marks for not having it done if it wasn't in my questions booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

Very easy and fair test. Was delighted with the pictures, short questions and documents with the exception of one or two difficult ones. Question 4 was beautiful... Columbus and Luther :) Question 5 was also very good but I don't think I wrote enough for the results of the Ulster Plantation. Finally, Q6 was great. Thinking I got about 45/60 at the VERY least which is still very good so I am overall delighted with the paper. An A hopefully :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

CaileAN! wrote: »
    I couldn't find the short questions in my paper, I'm not sure if they weren't there or two pages were stuck together. Would I lose marks for not having it done if it wasn't in my questions booklet?

Should have asked your supervisor. That's a whole section right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

Exactly what I am thinking because people at school that don't even study thought it was really easy D:

LawdyLad wrote: »
    Should have asked your supervisor. That's a whole section right there.

I didn't realise I didn't have it when I had already walked out and was talking to my friends about the paper :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should really have pointed that out to your superintendent.

As to what will happen...if the pages are actually stuck together, the examiner will realise what happened and ask their advisory examiner for guidance. If the book arrives to the examiner with the pages easily opening, then it will just look like you left them out.

Was the battle of kursk part of barbarossa? I know Typhoon was and you'd definitely get marks for that. Dunno why you wouldn't!

Kursk was the 2nd largest tank battle ever recorded, took place between the soviets and germans near the city of kursk I think, before I've written similar stuff and not gotten marks for it, hard marking I guess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I didn't realise I didn't have it when I had already walked out and was talking to my friends about the paper :(

You should have gone back to the exam centre at that stage. Tell the superintendent tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

I was so scared I was missing a page because nothing came up on the Cold War/Moves Towards European Unity etcc :P I checked like twice :P

spurious wrote: »
    You should really have pointed that out to your superintendent.

As to what will happen...if the pages are actually stuck together, the examiner will realise what happened and ask their advisory examiner for guidance. If the book arrives to the examiner with the pages easily opening, then it will just look like you left them out.

Oh well, I'm not doing it for the leaving cert anyway so it isn't a huge deal. :P I think I can live with not having 20 marks in my history exam

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

I found the Long Questions much better than the Shorter ones, strangely enough! The Documents question on NI I had NO clue but that was only 2 marks.

Q1. Pictures were . . . OK . . . Think I got full marks but didn't enjoy it.

Q2. Documents were OK except the last question.

Q3. Short Questions - Think I got 10+ but I usually do much better in that section.

Q4. People in History - LOVED IT! In our class we wrote raps about Luther and Columbus so they were amazing. Wrote 2.5 pages for Luther and 2 for Culumbus with lots and lots of SRSs, so I'm really happy.

Q5. This question was grand, I hadn't prepared for it but I think I performed decently. The long question at the end didn't suit me but I got a good few SRSs so should be alright.

Q6. PERFECT! I did Ancient Rome and International Relations. In First Year our teacher gave us an eight-page long essay on Rome which was used instead of notes for that section and I remembered basically the whole thing, so it was a great help. We didn't actually do much of WW2 in class because we were rushing, but thanks to the lovely people on the History Accounts :) thread on Boards.ie I was flying for Operation Barbarossa and the Battle of Britain! :D

I got 93% in History in the Mocks and while this paper didn't suit me as much, I still think I got an A.

Two questions though:

1. Does it matter if you say 'Rome' instead of 'Ancient Rome'?

2. Someone said on another thread that using bulletpoints for accounts will get you severely marked down. I had my points fully explained and fleshed out, but each paragraph had a bullet point beside it to mark where each main SRS was. Will that be OK?

Cheers :)

<snip>

Two questions though:

1. Does it matter if you say 'Rome' instead of 'Ancient Rome'?
    No it doesn't matter.
    2. Someone said on another thread that using bulletpoints for accounts will get you severely marked down. I had my points fully explained and fleshed out, but each paragraph had a bullet point beside it to mark where each main SRS was. Will that be OK?

Yes. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

I did better than I thought I would have in history considering I did close to no study.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BradyShim

I did anchient Rome for q6 a) for the family life i wrote about the children's lives, the passtimes, marriage and stuff? Will I get marks? :/

BradyShim wrote: »
    I did anchient Rome for q6 a) for the family life i wrote about the children's lives, the passtimes, marriage and stuff? Will I get marks? :/

i said how the boys went to school to become like their fathers the girls stayed at home to be like their mothers etc... so yea you will i dont think for the pastimes though :/ but you only needed 5 points so I think you got your full 10

• Advertisement

i said how the boys went to school to become like their fathers the girls stayed at home to be like their mothers etc... so yea you will i dont think for the pastimes though :/ but you only needed 5 points so I think you got your full 10
    Yes, Family Life refers to power in the family, their past times, education, food etc.. Basically what their day was like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jpr57852

How many points did you need for those silly plantation accounts? I waffled through them. I've never studied any of the plantations...

jpr57852 wrote: »
    How many points did you need for those silly plantation accounts? I waffled through them. I've never studied any of the plantations...

waffled :P your supposed to give 4 points each... i waffled so i can get at least 2 marks on each one :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Two points thats all? Relief there.. I wasn't sure so done a long account :)

Two points thats all? Relief there.. I wasn't sure so done a long account :)

no its 4 for each one 4 points for each... 8 marks divided by two... for each relevant statement you get 2 marks :)

no its 4 for each one 4 points for each... 8 marks divided by two... for each relevant statement you get 2 marks :)

I didn't know exactly what to write so I wrote a page on each heading haha, just to make sure. Because we got a sample answer on that exact question and I didn't bother learning it as I didn't expect plantations up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Trait

jpr57852 wrote: »

Same here.
    I barely know anything about plantations

I didn't know exactly what to write so I wrote a page on each heading haha, just to make sure. Because we got a sample answer on that exact question and I didn't bother learning it as I didn't expect plantations up :P

ik my teacher was saying Revolutions so i spent my last hour cramming that into my head :P

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CathalRyano

It said 8 x 2. It was 8 marks for each. 16 marks altogether for the two of them.

• Advertisement

It said 8 x 2. It was 8 marks for each. 16 marks altogether for the two of them.

You get 2 marks per point therefore it is 4 per each and 8 in total....

Advertisement