Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 in one vaccine

• 12-06-2013 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

hi all,
    just a quick question, is the 7 in one available from vets again to do yourself?
    somebody said to me yesterday it was.

for years i always injected my own dogs but cant get it the last 2 years or so and not been tight but it really annoys me to pay 50 euro per dog (i have 3) when it used to cost me 37 euro to do all the dogs myself.

thanks for any help and replys guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Traceability.
    The drug company which manufactures the medication numbers it's products.
    The administering Vet attaches one set of these numbers to the Owner's record and one set to their own records.
    The drug can be traced from manufacture to patient.
    Allowing an uncertain factor to enter the chain breaks traceability.
    You yourself may be fully able to administer the drugs to your pets, but not all owners may be administering the drugs correctly.
    The issue of whether you would be aware of any reason why you should not administer drugs (an illness which you might not detect at the time of giving the drugs) could also affect traceability.
    There is also no doubt that those who earn part of their living from administering these drugs might not be enthusiastic about losing out on fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They are legally classified as prescription-only medicines, so can only be dispensed by a vet, or else by a pharmacist, if you provide them with the Px. A lot of pharmacists were flouting the law, and there have been some high-profile prosecutions, so things have tightened up.

For a vaccination to stand scrutiny, it must have been given by a vet and the cert signed by the vet and stamped with the practice stamp.

There are lots of reasons it's better to have the vet vaccinate your pet. Do you know the correct storage requirements? How to properly give a sub-cut injection? Most importantly, no pet should be given a vaccine if they are brewing an illness, and I would leave it to the vet to make that judgement. It's not a lot of money to pay for what is actually an annual check-up. My own vet is really thorough with the pets coming in for annual boosters and often picks up on problems needing attention that the owner might not have spotted otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭alsace royal

ah id be quite confident administering injections ect as i grew up on a farm and still farm so injecting animals is part of everyday life for me. iv been keeping gsd's ( german shepards ) 20+ years so i would see any problems arising but i can see what your saying about people who may not have experiance of injecting, i suspose it just a part of everyday life for me.
    but also feel that good husbandry should include a weekly check of your animal and not letting it go to the point where the vet is telling you theres a problem in a clinic. just my thinking on it anyway

Advertisement