Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westport or Enniscrone/Ballina

• 12-06-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Which would you recommend for a weeks holiday, 3 adults, 2 teens, a baby and two dogs, self catering.

Beach would be good, lots of wee pubs and restaurants, dog friendly, etc. Other towns that direction would also be considered, though don't want to go as far as galway with a baby in the car!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Westport would have more to do for a family - Westport House, Great Western Greenway / bike hire, climbing the Reek (or part of the way up if you have smallies), nice beaches at Old Head, etc. You could also do a day trip to Achill or take a boat trip over to Clare Island. Loads of family-friendly restaurants around the area. Plenty of self-catering options, my sister always books a house for a week on the way out to Louisburgh.

Ballina/Enniscrone would not the same level of amenities compared to Westport.

Tripadvisor would have plenty more recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I would second that Westport is the most suitable for what you want.

Enniscrone is a beautiful area though. It has a beach, a few small pubs and shops, takeaways and a restaurant, a waterworld, a kids park and an amusement arcade. Also down by the pier, boats take off every day for fishing.

Ballina would be a good place for the teenagers to do a bit of shopping, but I can't really find a reason to holiday there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Discover Enniscrone

Thanks very much for thinking of Enniscrone. I think you would love it here. Lots of great self catering houses within a few minutes walk to 5km golden beach, bars, restaurants, and shops. Great range of dining options with unbeatable sea views.

Surf Schools operate daily and cater for all age groups. Enniscrone not only has world class golf, but pitch and putt for those that prefer a less challenging day out. Music in the pubs, and hotels at night ranging from Trad to contemporary options.

Summer evenings on Enniscrone pier are a hive of activity, with pier diving, fishing and boat trips.

All this can be accessed without ever getting into your car!!!

When you feel the need to go further afield, there is a huge range of hill walking within easy reach of Enniscrone in the fabulous Ox Mountains, suitable for all ages and well behaved dogs.

Ballina offers lots of shopping, the magnificent Belleek Woods, world famous fishing on the Moy, lots of seafood, bars, nightclubs and a thriving Arts Centre. I could go on....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks very much for thinking of Enniscrone. I think you would love it here. Lots of great self catering houses within a few minutes walk to 5km golden beach, bars, restaurants, and shops. Great range of dining options with unbeatable sea views.

Surf Schools operate daily and cater for all age groups. Enniscrone not only has world class golf, but pitch and putt for those that prefer a less challenging day out. Music in the pubs, and hotels at night ranging from Trad to contemporary options.

Summer evenings on Enniscrone pier are a hive of activity, with pier diving, fishing and boat trips.

All this can be accessed without ever getting into your car!!!

When you feel the need to go further afield, there is a huge range of hill walking within easy reach of Enniscrone in the fabulous Ox Mountains, suitable for all ages and well behaved dogs.

Ballina offers lots of shopping, the magnificent Belleek Woods, world famous fishing on the Moy, lots of seafood, bars, nightclubs and a thriving Arts Centre. I could go on....

And you registered just to post this! :)

Westport voted town of the year, no competition really :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Discover Enniscrone

Thanks yop ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 enniscrone

I do not think you can compare Westport and Enniscrone. They are two very different towns; it all comes down to what you are looking for. With a baby and two dogs the Enniscrone beach and more open spaces might appeal more to you. The teenagers might prefer Westport with the busy night-life and regular hen and stag parties. Remember the two towns are not that far apart (about 1 hour and 15 mins drive) and day trips to the beach from Westport or vice versa a trip to Westport House from Enniscrone, are both simple options. Personally I would choose Enniscrone. Have a look at Enniscrone.ie for Day Trip Ideas and a full list of Events. I also think that if you check out all the sunset pictures on the Enniscrone Facebook Page you will be sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Would recommend enniscrone for sure, have been going there on hols since i was 8, so over 30 yrs! Have holiday home there now and rent out for summer if interested!! Hotels also do great deals, lots of early bird dining options, waterpoint swimming, summer caps, surfing, walking, calmness, uncrowded beach and fab indoor 'tumble jungle' for kids in ballina!! Im from mayo n wouldnt go next nor near westport in july/aug, just saying like!! Itll also be full of dubs, 1 way system around town and massive traffic jams! If u want holiday. Enniscrone!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Why not do both? As a previous poster mentioned its not much more than an hours drive from one to the other. Enniscrone is a beautiful beach and you have ideal weather for it at the moment. You could enjoy a few days there in the sun and then head for Westport which is a lovely town too and well worth a visit.

Advertisement