Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/Restaurants around Thomas St/D8 ?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I am thinking of moving to a place just off Thomas St

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good bars or restaurants around this area? I have been in Arthurs pub which I really liked and the Little Green looks good but I havent seen much in the way of food offerings around the area.

I walked by another green pub on Francis St (can't think of name) which seems to do trad music. Anyone been there?

Or do I have to venture towards D2 for entertainment? Not very far I know but I would prefer to have a local I can go to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Fallons pub on the corner of New row south across from the bottom of Francis st is great for a few, perfect local.

That green pub is called The Irish House Party, geared for tourists.

The Brazen Head on high st is good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Great, didn't realise the Brazen head was so near. Funnily enough I go there quite regularly but come in from the other side of the quays to get to it.

Will check out Fallons. I seem to have missed that one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The Fumbally do some amazing grub!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thomas House is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Oh and Little Green Cafe on Thomas Street is also a lovely little spot. They do some good drink deals and cheap, tasty, food too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Bull and Castle and the Lord Edward are just down the road at Christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

missmyler wrote: »
    I am thinking of moving to a place just off Thomas St

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good bars or restaurants around this area? I have been in Arthurs pub which I really liked and the Little Green looks good but I havent seen much in the way of food offerings around the area.

I walked by another green pub on Francis St (can't think of name) which seems to do trad music. Anyone been there?

Or do I have to venture towards D2 for entertainment? Not very far I know but I would prefer to have a local I can go to.

There are plenty of pubs in the area.

Arthurs, the clock, Thomas House, Little green, house party, fallons, brazen head, o sheas merchant, pifko, bakers etc.

There are also a few pubs down on Francis street with all the antique shops.

food wise, I guess Thomas street isn't as well catered for as it should be, but aside from the pubs, you also have café notto, mannings bakery and a couple of newer additions that have popped up recently. The Fumbally is very good.

All round there are plenty of options. And youre only a stroll from Christchurch and temple bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Thomas House is the best bar in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Thomas House is the best bar in the city.

Great bar. Also Fallons, as mentioned above. The Dice Bar is not too far away either, just off the northside quays at Queen Street. Get yer rockabilly on of a Sunday night.
    I wish The Tenters bar (just up the road from Fallons) was still open, it would totally be my local, sadly it's been closed about 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Birneybau wrote: »
    Thomas House is a great spot.

Lovely cafe beside the Thomas House too whose name escapes me at the moment.

I'd say most of the pubs in the area would be considered 'locals' and would be friendly enough; I never liked the look of the Hill Top though (on the corner opposite Arthur's).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Kennedys pub (near Vicar St) is one of the best in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would like to throw 'Against the Grain' into the hat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Lars1916 wrote: »

Bit far away?

Could throw all city centre pubs in so, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Fallons is a great pub at the bottom of Francis St accross the road on Dean St.
    Fumbally Cafe is nice.

Anyone know if the burrito place on Thomas st is closed? that was really good. Hot Mama's or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lars1916 wrote: »

That's a fair hefty throw to get it up to Thomas St. though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Hard to beat Fallon's in fairness.The Lord Edward across from Christchurch is grand as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

As a local of the area my opinion is that Arthur's (or to locals 'The Old Robert Emmet') is soulless, dead, far too expensive for the area and more for tourists than anyone else. I do drink regularly in most of the pubs in Meath St and Thomas St.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pubs on Meath Street, although you'll always find a friendly welcome in The Lark Inn although it does lack a bit of atmosphere. On Thomas St. Bakers is definitely the best spot (go in to the lounge part, door on Thomas st side and not the one one the corner of Meath St/Thomas St.) It's a crackin little pub and does great food for very reasonable prices also if you want a proper Dublin trad session head down there on a sunday afternoon, great stuff, it gets a nice mix of old locals, new locals and tourists heading up to Guinness's.

The Clock is O.K, used to be a good spot but after many changes of management has lost a bit of its sparkle. Kennedy's further up (old O'Neills) is not my cup of tea. The Thomas House ia a great spot.

On Francis Street, there is The Dean Swift and The liberty Bell, the latter is O.K but nothing would bring me to recommend either. Fallon's as mentioned before on the bottom of the coombe is a nice spot and does a good pint and gets a nice crowd. Shannahan's and The Lamplighter further up The Coombe would not be on my list of favourites but perfectly good establishments is their own rights, but not for me.

Again, I'd say if you want a nice drink and a bit to eat close to home (assuming you love near Thomas st) you can't beat Baker's.

Pimlico wrote: »
    As a local of the area my opinion is that Arthur's (or to locals 'The Old Robert Emmet') is soulless, dead, far too expensive for the area and more for tourists than anyone else. I do drink regularly in most of the pubs in Meath St and Thomas St.

I wouldn't recommend any of the pubs on Meath Street, although you'll always find a friendly welcome in The Lark Inn although it does lack a bit of atmosphere. On Thomas St. Bakers is definitely the best spot (go in to the lounge part, door on Thomas st side and not the one one the corner of Meath St/Thomas St.) It's a crackin little pub and does great food for very reasonable prices also if you want a proper Dublin trad session head down there on a sunday afternoon, great stuff.

The Clock is O.K, used to be a good spot but after many changes of management has lost a bit of its sparkle. Kennedy's further up (old O'Neills) is not my cup of tea. The Thomas House ia a great spot.

On Francis Street, there is The Dean Swift and The liberty Bell, the latter is O.K but nothing would bring me to recommend either. Fallon's as mentioned before on Dean St (bottom of the coombe) is a nice spot and does a good pint. Shannahan's and The Lamplighter further up The Coombe would not be on my list of favourites but perfectly good establishments is their own rights, but not for me.

Again, I'd say if you want a nice drink and a bit to eat close to home (assuming you love near Thomas st) you can't beat Baker's.

I'm in the area as well. Must check in to Bakers again, haven't been there in years.
    I work in a bar, and have often been asked by people (tourists) where is Arthurs? I remember when it was called Handels (?), it was soulless back then, probably even more so now.
    I was in the Liberty Belle a few months ago, on account of it being the only place I could find that was showing a Barcelona v Real Madrid (Copa Del Rey) match, it was fairly empty, but seemed like a decent boozer.
    Fallons, as mentioned previously, is a great wee pub. They do toasties, on batch loaf bread, quality.
    The Thomas House is definitely worth checking out, one of my favourite bars in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

20Cent wrote: »
    Fallons is a great pub at the bottom of Francis St accross the road on Dean St.
    Fumbally Cafe is nice.

Anyone know if the burrito place on Thomas st is closed? that was really good. Hot Mama's or something.
    I seen that burrito place open only two days ago, I'd reckon they're still opening up every day.

Thomas House is, like the others have mentioned, a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Foodwise you can try the fish restaurant in The Lord Edward. A bit old school but really lovely.
    There is a Mexican cafe on Lord Edward Street that is seriously good, called Café Azteca.

And don't forget Leo Burdocks. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Pimlico wrote: »

I wouldn't recommend any of the pubs on Meath Street, although you'll always find a friendly welcome in The Lark Inn although it does lack a bit of atmosphere. On Thomas St. Bakers is definitely the best spot (go in to the lounge part, door on Thomas st side and not the one one the corner of Meath St/Thomas St.) It's a crackin little pub and does great food for very reasonable prices also if you want a proper Dublin trad session head down there on a sunday afternoon, great stuff, it gets a nice mix of old locals, new locals and tourists heading up to Guinness's.

On Francis Street, there is The Dean Swift and The liberty Bell, the latter is O.K but nothing would bring me to recommend either. Fallon's as mentioned before on the bottom of the coombe is a nice spot and does a good pint and gets a nice crowd. Shannahan's and The Lamplighter further up The Coombe would not be on my list of favourites but perfectly good establishments is their own rights, but not for me.

Would there be undesirables in any of the pubs on Francis St? That's what puts me off going into the Hill Top; the clientele outside smoking wouldn't seem to welcoming? The Liberty Belle looks similar. Anybody ever go into Ryans on James St (Hospital side of the Guinness plant) or have anything good to say about it?

+1 on Bakers; the pint is smashing in there and the man behind the counter is a pure gent. I don't think he is a Dub he definitely has a country accent. A lot of acts who play in Vicar St would tip in there for a couple afterwards by all accounts. Kennedys always has the horse racing on the TV which is something that really turns me off going into pubs (nobody minds the big race meetings, but I'm talking about the ****e American horse racing etc.)

sticksman wrote: »
    That's what puts me off going into the Hill Top; the clientele outside smoking wouldn't seem to welcoming?
    There's always a weather beaten aul lad or 2 having a smoke outside that pub. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Hi there. Im the owner of Thomas House. To be honest all the pubs in the area have their pros and cons. My favourite is Pifco on the quays, down the bottom of the hill from the Hill Top.
    Mammas Revenge is still open but its not open Saturday or Sunday for some reason.
    Drop into us for a scoop or nine.

bombidol wrote: »
    Hi there. Im the owner of Thomas House. To be honest all the pubs in the area have their pros and cons. My favourite is Pifco on the quays, down the bottom of the hill from the Hill Top.
    Mammas Revenge is still open but its not open Saturday or Sunday for some reason.
    Drop into us for a scoop or nine.

And a mighty fine establishment you run. Pifco wouldn't have been a bar I'd check out, but I'll pop in there for a pint now. Not now now, but now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You can try Big's Bar on Ellis Quay too, it seems to be very different to most bars around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Lux23 wrote: »
    You can try Big's Bar on Ellis Quay too, it seems to be very different to most bars around there.

is this place ay good then?

I know its a new opening and as far as I know its primarily a gig venue bar?

sounds great and a big plus for Smithfield. the voodoo lounge reopened recentl also and a new bar called Oscars in Smithfield village. added to ryans, the dice bar, the cobblestone and the generator bar, Smithfield is doing well of late.

there are also quite a few good eatieries in Smithfield now. wuff, seven social, third space etc

sin e isn't far away either. is fibbers rock bar still going?

Yea, it was good craic. But don't think it's a gig venue, too small really and not the right place.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Yea, it was good craic. But don't think it's a gig venue, too small really and not the right place.

I stand corrected, apparently they are having a mini music festival this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Great bar. Also Fallons, as mentioned above. The Dice Bar is not too far away either, just off the northside quays at Queen Street. Get yer rockabilly on of a Sunday night.
    I wish The Tenters bar (just up the road from Fallons) was still open, it would totally be my local, sadly it's been closed about 5 years.

What was the tenters pub like bozo? I drink in fallons as its right next to where j work and I used to jam in the rehearsal room so would always pass by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 MrCbee

The Cathedral Cafe across from Patricks Cathedral do a great breakfast and really nice coffee,

I live in the area and its pretty nice place to be, Best of Luck!

Advertisement