Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Angry Joe preiview. Actually really good vid shows him creating the character, asking good questions and playing 3 hours of the game (edited into a 1 hour vid) with his thoughts at the end. I think the bullet sponge mechanics might actually work for this game. Him and 2 other guys (a dev and a fellow youtube/journo guy I think) go through the beginning of the game and they are generally wrecking shop. The deadzone kicks their ass though. Good to have a live q&a with the dev as well.

He says it's basically destiny but with a proper story and just hopes there's enough variety to stop the game getting boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

What's easiest way get access to beta of this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'd like to Echo what the others said about longer "time to kills" being better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

brady12 wrote: »
    What's easiest way get access to beta of this ??

Buy a key: http://www.g2play.net/category/18677/tom-clancy-s-the-division-multiplatform-beta-access-cd-key/

Ubisoft worked with some Youtube movie makers to come up with 4 Episodes in a series called Agent Origins based in the game world. These are absolutely class and better than some of the shyte on telly these days. Well worth a watch and definitely gets you hype for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been thinking more and more about this...

As I said above, I'm disappointed by the bullet sponge stuff and plenty of people have (quite rightly) asked the question "well what did you think it was gonna be?"

I guess gigantic, semi-open, tactical, realistic, survival, co-op shooter is what I was hoping for :D

Don't make me pour ten mags worth of bullets into a boss, especially in a game like this that's built a realistic world for us to play in, it's a total immersion killer to see any vaguely human type enemy requiring the bullet output of a factory to be taken down. When they've gone to the trouble of making such a faithful recreation of New York and working so hard to draw you in with all the little tweaks to how your avatar interacts with the environment and so on, it's a real shame that the mechanics of the game throw you back out.

I've had a ton of fun with Borderlands 2 in single play and in co-op, but even there where there are significant bullet sponge bosses to be dealt with, I wasn't thrilled at them, but felt it was very much in keeping with the world the game was giving me to play in. I've not played Destiny but in much the same way, they've created an alien experience where your pewpewpewpews are grindy, but not entirely out of context for their game world.

And you know what, all of this is fine :) There's nothing wrong with being disappointed that something isn't what you were hoping for, just as there's nothing wrong with being excited about it being something you weren't expecting :) I hope, above all else, that it's an enjoyable game that works when it launches. I *think* (or at the very least hope) Ubisoft has been given a bloodied nose enough to stop with their lies, overhype and broken releases and that The Division is the game that gets them back into people's good graces. One of my colleagues is very hyped for this, he's got a Beta Key so will be giving me a full report when he gets stuck in the weekend after next.

• It's the likely-hood that we will see a Destiny style business model deployed here is my biggest concern.
    Are they going to strip back content and withhold it via a paywall / DLC system

And as with Destiny the devs don't seem to want to openly admit what style of game it is when in fact it looks like a stripped back MMO style experience

Taking equipment sharing out = random equipment drops and grinding

Well they said the only micro transactions will be for cosmetic stuff like outfits that have no starts attached but it's really looking like Brooklyn and other parts of NY will open up with DLC packs. Saying that, Manhattan looks big enough so will just have to wait and see. Still really interested in it.

Watched the Angry Joe stuff, and while it looked good for the most part there was 2 main issues I had.

Firstly the graphical downgrade (at least for consoles) is very noticable - but sure this is par-for-the-course with Ubisoft now.

Secondly, I wonder how many hours worth of content there will be for a group of 4 regular players?
    20 hour story? 60 hour story? will there be incentives to re-play PvE content? Harder difficulties?
    How much of a shelf life will the Darkness Zones truly have?
    I mean, if I got 60+ hours out of a game like this, I consider it value for money as long as it's fun etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon people stealing my stuff in the Darkness Zone will almost completely put me off this game. I'm going to get it, to find out, but I reckon not being able to get the better stuff in the game because I have it stolen from me, is going to kill it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I intend to go to Aldi and pick up a tent and camp the extraction zones.

I reckon people stealing my stuff in the Darkness Zone will almost completely put me off this game. I'm going to get it, to find out, but I reckon not being able to get the better stuff in the game because I have it stolen from me, is going to kill it for me

I'm going to assume they are "Stealing" a duplicate of your gear. You don't actually lose it yourself.

If you did lose it 100% that would create the most toxic community ever and drive the game into the ground :/

I saw in another vid yesterday that the Darkzone has it's own safehouses and vendors. The vendors sell some of the best gear in the game and once you buy something, it can't be stolen as you don't have to extract it.

The catch is you have to be a certain Darkzone level to buy certain equipment. I take it that you can level up in the Darkzone by trying to be good i.e only shooting guys who have gone rogue, but not 100% on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm going to assume they are "Stealing" a duplicate of your gear. You don't actually lose it yourself.

If you did lose it 100% that would create the most toxic community ever and drive the game into the ground :/

DayZ, H1Z1, Rust, Arc, and countless other mods and kick-started/early access (like the original DayZ mod) would show otherwise.

There's no end to the successful games on PC and DayZ/H1Z1 coming to the consoles now where this is a huge part of the game. The Division seems to be just losing your new loot rather than everything.

A dev said that gear in the Darkzone is contaminated and anything you picks up will go into a yello bag on your back. If you see someone with a yellow bag, it means they have gear you can steal before it gets extracted to decontamination at your base. So the items that get stolen are not duplicates, they are the actual items but they can only steal the new DZ ones in your yellow bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A dev said that gear in the Darkzone is contaminated and anything you picks up will go into a yello bag on your back. If you see someone with a yellow bag, it means they have gear you can steal before it gets extracted to decontamination at your base. So the items that get stolen are not duplicates, they are the actual items but they can only steal the new DZ ones in your yellow bag.

Exactly theres a bit of confusion over this i think, its only the loot you pick up in the dark zone that can be stolen.

Also remember you can simply camp the dark zone for people trying to extract loot too. This will create some pretty serious team play and tactics as the best way to make it out of there will be with the support of a full party

Varik wrote: »
    DayZ, H1Z1, Rust, Arc, and countless other mods and kick-started/early access (like the original DayZ mod) would show otherwise.

There's no end to the successful games on PC and DayZ/H1Z1 coming to the consoles now where this is a huge part of the game. The Division seems to be just losing your new loot rather than everything.

Valid point.
    But for the most part that is seen as a massive part of those games USP
    Seems like a good idea to be in a group of players you know and trust and just stomp the poor loners and fractious other groups :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Once an extraction begins anyone can use the chopper at the scene to extract loot so if someone is trying to steal loot they can be destroyed by loads of teams that are attempting to extract loot.

In the Darkzone there are 2 sides. You're either a member of the division or a traitor. Kill someone at an extraction and you are now a traitor and against everyone else on the server who is a division member. It's great fun, you really have to pick your battles. If you want the most loot you'd be better playing with at least 2 squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Gold edition for the PS4 is now £59.99 but with Amazon giving £10 off orders over £50 today, it works out at €66.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gold edition for the PS4 is now £59.99 but with Amazon giving £10 off orders over £50 today, it works out at €66.

Does the Gold edition have the season pass included?

• Advertisement

Yupp includes Season pass (a full year of major expansions and exclusive benefits). It's 100 euro on PSN store for Gold edition so that price on Amazon is fairly good!

Yupp includes Season pass (a full year of major expansions and exclusive benefits). It's 100 euro on PSN store for Gold edition so that price on Amazon is fairly good!

Only worrying thing is Amazon are terrible for launch day delivery now though.

Great price though.

I logged into Amazon, tried to preorder just to see total price and it's saying can't deleiver to my address. I never use Amazon for games, is it because it's an Irish address and I should be using that post service in the north?

I logged into Amazon, tried to preorder just to see total price and it's saying can't deleiver to my address. I never use Amazon for games, is it because it's an Irish address and I should be using that post service in the north?

It should post to Ireland. Are you sure the Seller is Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It should post to Ireland. Are you sure the Seller is Amazon?

There's thread and a few mentions in the Nintendo forum, Amazon are not shipping a few games to Ireland and not giving a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

Pre-ordered this game a while ago with my Irish address. ordered the gold version to take advantage of the £10 off and would only let me use my parcel motel address :confused: . Just hope my copy of uncharted 4 doesn't get cancelled as that's going to my Irish address

€66 is a decent enough price to be worth me MAYBE taking a punt on this.... worst case scenario flip the game quickly to get some money back.

You can circumvent this Amazon postage issue by using Parcel Motel (that's what I did with the Zelda Twilight Princess re-release)

Now we begin the 6 pages of the thread where we go down the rathole of paying €100 at launch in a B&M store and having it ready to play that day.... or waiting a week approx to get it for €66.

Gentlemen and ladies, please take positions on your relevant sides of the fence and choose your weapons

WARNING: These same 6 pages of the thread will be repeated on Launch day but with each post now having an accompanying one of these:
    1) :)
    2) :mad:
    3) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

€66 is a decent enough price to be worth me MAYBE taking a punt on this.... worst case scenario flip the game quickly to get some money back.

You can circumvent this Amazon postage issue by using Parcel Motel (that's what I did with the Zelda Twilight Princess re-release)

Now we begin the 6 pages of the thread where we go down the rathole of paying €100 at launch in a B&M store and having it ready to play that day.... or waiting a week approx to get it for €66.

Gentlemen and ladies, please take positions on your relevant sides of the fence and choose your weapons

WARNING: These same 6 pages of the thread will be repeated on Launch day but with each post now having an accompanying one of these:
    1) :)
    2) :mad:
    3) :(
    have to say I expect to have it in a couple of days from Amazon. Expected delivery is March 8th - so I would expect Parcel Motel to have it to me by the 10th at the latest. Though I see people complaining about postage from them of late - no had any issues myself over the last year or so off amazon or parcel motel. As long as I have it for a good binge on the game that weekend I'll be happy out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thing is, as it's an MMO, the servers (as well as UPlay) are more than likely going to be broken as funk on launch day, so delays in the thing in the post may not be terrible :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really torn about getting this for my PS4 or PC, worried my PC wont handle the game TBH. I have seen the minimum and recommended spec from Ubisoftinthehead and that means nothing from previous experience of specs from devs usually you need a high end machine to get the best from it.

I know it will run it but I dont want a slow stuttery ****e fest. TBH, I think I am answering my own question here....prolly better of on PS4.

PC Spec:
    i5 2500k @ 3.8Ghz, 8 GB fast RAM and HD6990....?

Advertisement