Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Is it going to be all online only?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

keavebm wrote: »

According to Wikipedia it is - Tom Clancy's The Division is an upcoming online-only open world third-person shooter role-playing video game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_The_Division

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keavebm wrote: »

Yeah but looks like you can play the pve stuff solo handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah but looks like you can play the pve stuff solo handy enough.

Pardon my ignorance but "pve" is....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Person vs Everyon I believe, as in you against AI as well. so you can do missions on your own fighting AI guys all the way through to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Technically known as "Player vs Environment"
    But commonly referred to as "Player vs Enemies"

Basically playing against AI or "Hazards" (think lava, pit of death, explosives etc)

As opposed to PvP (Player vs Player) which seems to be the Dark Zone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

eh its a bit buggy.......

I cant aim or shoot with KB but can aim with pad.

Black flickery crap all over the screen too

eh its a bit buggy.......

I cant aim or shoot with KB but can aim with pad.

Black flickery crap all over the screen too

Tbh it's a beta. We're not seeing a finished product.

• Advertisement

Graphics wise this sentence held a LOT more gravitas a few years ago than it does now.

Nowadays Alphas are more like what Betas were and Betas are very close to approaching the finished product graphic wise. They simply use the Beta to find more bugs, test server loadings, address UI issues and get feedback on mechanics and balancing.

Happy to be proven wrong here but it would be naive to expect noticeable graphical improvements on Launch, particularly on Consoles. PCs seem to have more leeway to "bump up" in terms of graphics/optimisation.

Can't remember many games (though there are probably some) where a Beta ~6 weeks out from launch saw a substantial graphical overhaul.

Bug tearing, glitches, bugs, frame rate drops, etc should definitely be fixed by the final product.

On another note, I've been watching this thread like a hawk today to see what the feedback is on the Gameplay but I expect everyone is too busy playing to post :D

I have yet to see a finished product from my last 3 Ubisoft game purchases :)

Got in a small bit, got to Base of Operations and restored the medical wing. It's a really cool game, bullet sponge isn't bad at all unless you come across a named villainwho will have some nice loot and take a few clips to drops. The world is class, but there is a very watchdoggy vibe to it with lines going everywhere. I'll go to look at some scenery and take it in but there's so much UI getting in my way. It's all very useful but info but it takes away from the realistic setting a bit.

I'll be on after 11 if anyone wants to squad up, send me an invite if ya see me on - sheehy83

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I'll be on for the rest of the day guys - Epicfool99

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

For some reason my game is in French.

Agent Petits Filous reporting in.

• Well.....spit it out!

Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Cormac... wrote: »
    Graphics wise this sentence held a LOT more gravitas a few years ago than it does now.

Nowadays Alphas are more like what Betas were and Betas are very close to approaching the finished product graphic wise. They simply use the Beta to find more bugs, test server loadings, address UI issues and get feedback on mechanics and balancing.

Happy to be proven wrong here but it would be naive to expect noticeable graphical improvements on Launch, particularly on Consoles. PCs seem to have more leeway to "bump up" in terms of graphics/optimisation.

Can't remember many games (though there are probably some) where a Beta ~6 weeks out from launch saw a substantial graphical overhaul.

Bug tearing, glitches, bugs, frame rate drops, etc should definitely be fixed by the final product.

On another note, I've been watching this thread like a hawk today to see what the feedback is on the Gameplay but I expect everyone is too busy playing to post :D
    Betas should be very close to approaching the finished across the board, never mind in the case of graphical fidelity. By their very definition, betas should be feature complete and just in need of bug fixing and optimisation work whereas alpha means it's not feature complete and could really, in the context of video games, be in any state and not necessarily reflective of the final state of the game.

If we were seeing noticeable graphical improvements during the beta phase then it's likely one of two things have happened, either it's not really a beta and it's been pushed out as such by an over zealous publisher or developer, or, graphical fidelity has been scaled back in order to hit certain performance targets which, if reached after some optimisation work, may be gradually reintroduced during the beta phase and before release. As you said though, there aren't many games in the last while which would fall into the latter category, if anything it may go in the former direction as things are toned down to hit target frame rates in time for launch.

Anyway yea, definitely eager to see what folk think of it, particularly on the single player side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Played through the first mission with Dreadaxe, and the game is certainly interesting so far. I now have mission to go to the dark zone, but decided to look around at some of the side missions to level up a bit.

The enemies are bullet sponges, but that doesn't really bother me, and the gun play is alright, but there is some room for improvement there. It a cover based shooter and I found the cover system to be pretty good and was able to switch from cover to cover with ease.

While there is only 1 story mission, there are a few side missions as well. Ran across a supply drop, where some soldiers were defending it, and helped out.

Also, the changing weather is pretty cool as well. On my way to one of my side missions to rescue a hostage, there was a huge snow storm, and I was fighting a bunch of guys during when I got the mission, which I have to say was pretty cool.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well.....spit it out!

Any good?

Umm leaning with no on this one, atm I wont be buying it.

Will play more over the weekend but it doesnt seem to have any purpose or point outside the zone.

Anyone gonna twitch stream it from Boards?

On that note, this is an open Beta yes? (as in no NDA)

When I was in Battleborns Beta it was closed so no streaming :/

• Advertisement

No NDA as far as I could see.

It's tough to know 100% whether it will be that great in the full version, but I can say that it now won't be a day one purchase for me, instead I'll wait before full reviews and gamer opinions are out.

I'll Stream it later on twitch from the ps4. Hopefully get a squad going. Went to the dark zone, place was a war zone everyone going ape shyte killing each other. I managed to kill a guy why who was crawling to me for help. 3 of his mates made a bee line for me but i just legged it out of there. DZ is a good laugh.

I can't seem to find the tech or security missions on my map. I got them off the laptops from wings but no sign on my map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well.....spit it out!

Any good?

Definite Day 1 buy for me.The only way to play it though to really enjoy it is with a group of four.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Does the difficulty ramp up if you have people in your squad?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Does the difficulty ramp up if you have people in your squad?

As far as I can tell, you do have the option of increasing the difficulty per mission, but I didn't try it out.

The best way to sum up the beta is: if you liked the UI of Watch Dogs and the co-op/mission style of Destiny, then this is for you.

The biggest thing putting me off is the co-op factor. But mainly because I prefer single player with the optional multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Cormac... wrote: »
    Anyone gonna twitch stream it from Boards?

On that note, this is an open Beta yes? (as in no NDA)

When I was in Battleborns Beta it was closed so no streaming :/

I've been streaming it since i started playing roughly 7 hours ago

Great laugh there with Borderfox, Dreadaxe and Wes. Lot of time in the Dark zone wrecking shop, did a few missions, got some nice loot. I prefer going solo in games but with this id be more inclined to only play if i saw a few people on, so much better in a squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Has anyone spotted any weapon camo on guns of team mates or other players yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Have a code for the beta if any one wants it.
    For t the xbox1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Seen a steam last night was not overly impressed at this point, bullet sponge factor is the deal breaker for me. Last night 3 guys running around and a normal joe soap baddie with a basball bat and the chap was back peddling like mad shooting him. Took him about 10 secs to kill him ffs!!!!

Advertisement