Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

it's a different game on pc alright, i think i had over a thousand hours on xbox before i got teh pc version and i was shocked at the difference.

the difference moving from a standard xbox to teh one X was huge as well, much faster and more responsive, and they haven't even upgraded the game for the X.

it's a game that likes horsepower

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm surprised I'm still playing it after the last global event as I have everything. It's the div tech grind. I actually swapped out a few pieces of gear on my nomad, DF3NC and predator builds, this weekend as I wasn't happy with the rolls on the pieces I'd already fully optimised. I have Monster Hunter World gathering dust while I'm still pouring tons of hours into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, I finally picked it up on xbox sale. Played only 2h last night, so I still getting the grips with the game.

First few things I noticed:

Difficulty... holy crap, I am getting sadomised. Doing level 2-4 missions as level 4 and I had died so many times. I am not even mad, I am actually impressed. AI is pretty great. Theu flank you, hide, open up on you. Though sometimes it felt that I only showed my beak a bit and I get peppered so hard, that I die in less then a second. I am not complaining about difficulty, I kind of like it, just makes me think about what I am doing wrong.
    Finding loot and boxes is a nightmare. Barely can distinguish tuem from surroundings and minimap is useless.

I made 4 characters and each time I started one I couldn't believe how hard it was. It's nearly worse doing it again as you're so used to your fully geared character, going back with nothing comes as a bit of a shock.

I found the riot shied invaluable, it allows you make a disorderly retreat (most of the time). You'll have a pain in your hand shooting at them with a pistol but you would only equip it when you knew all hope was lost. A decent marksman rifle is also very helpful.

Boxes can be hard to find. There's usually some on the main story missions, can't remember if they show up on the map before lvl 30 but you have to be fairly close to them. Main source of loot will be stuff that drops from npcs, I would have thought.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I made 4 characters and each time I started one I couldn't believe how hard it was. It's nearly worse doing it again as you're so used to your fully geared character, going back with nothing comes as a bit of a shock.

I found the riot shied invaluable, it allows you make a disorderly retreat (most of the time). You'll have a pain in your hand shooting at them with a pistol but you would only equip it when you knew all hope was lost. A decent marksman rifle is also very helpful.

Boxes can be hard to find. There's usually some on the main story missions, can't remember if they show up on the map before lvl 30 but you have to be fairly close to them. Main source of loot will be stuff that drops from npcs, I would have thought.

So it means it is hard and not just me being complete tool? Good to know, cheers.

Hopefully will be able to play it a bit more tonight after work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Finding loot and boxes is a nightmare. Barely can distinguish tuem from surroundings and minimap is useless.

it really is a mini map - so hard to see where things are and on what level. I have played a fair bit now (up to level 27). I had to train myself to stay in cover at the start, I kept walking around the place shooting and inevitably died.
    The other thing that annoys me is the grenades, I find them really awkward to use and end up not using them at all. The same with the water, energy bars etc. The only time I use them is to given them to randoms on the street.

soloing the DZ earlier and got a classified. Place full of gank squads so I run 0.8M to a safe extraction. Call in chopper. Sure enough an agent turns up with nothing to extract. Unfortunately for him he was alone and didn't know I was trying out my six piece pvp only striker :) It went marvellously

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Recently got to level 30 on PS4 and having great craic in the DZ. One thing I'm still not sure about is what weapons and gear I should be picking up and which ones I should be leaving behind (I usually just grab most of it and figure it out when back at the checkpoint). Anyone got a suggestion for a good assault rifle and shotgun I should be looking out for?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

M4 and the LVOA are the best assault rifles and work well with most builds.
    More important are the weapon talents rolled on the weapon, for example for pve talents like ferocious,destructive etc are great for pve.
    Get either of the above with well rolled talents and spend some div tech on them and they will last you right up to and into endgame.
    I dont run with shotguns but use the showstopper every so often with my strikers build.

I prefer the LVOA (straight up recoil) but have an amazing LW M4 on my predator, unforgiven, predatory and vicious my god I love it

• Advertisement

I got it on sale with season pass a week ago and after my first session I had a bit of regret. I though I needed better to add that 30eu for Monster hunter world.
    Fast forward one week and I have 21h on my character, level 18 and level 11 DZ. I actually love it so far. Very enjoyable looter game and filling in that void, as I can play diablo 3 only that much.

Had my outing in DZ low level and it was fun. When I got there first time npc just wrecked me. Went in second time and managed to kill a few. Met a stranger and we actually had a silent deal of helping each other. Was a lot of fun.

Right now I am really struggling with gear. Very undergeared. Its very hard, but I love that.

If you're under geared try some side missions before going into the main story missions or matchmake.
    Started deleting classified pieces to make room in my inventory, I must be reaching the end. Falcon Lost with randoms is my new favourite thing. Did Clear Sky a couple of times but it can be rough. Dragon's nest is a doddle, love running it with reclaimer. Stolen Signal attempt ended in failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I need to get on with you some night so.
    We attempted Clear Sky one night and only got the boss to spawn once.
    I've a feeling a good Reclaimer or Tactician build would be useful for that one.

tbh I failed a few times on Clear Sky. Ran it twice while hammered and got it completed but have no recollection of it (Reclaimer and Nomad). you just need a team that know what they're doing. I could make a final measure healer build that would be pretty good for it too, I reckon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

During the last GE event we had clear sky max difficulty down to under 5 minutes, fastest we done it was 4:07.
    Reclaimer,Nomad [for carrying the boxes] then two strikers with pure pve build and a good aim for dps.
    Mind numbingly boring to farm but super effective during the GE.

Im burned out with the game now, i have everything i want apart from a Lonestar backpack classified, cant be arsed playing for hours on end with a slim chance of it dropping when ive so many other games to be played. [currently playing GR wildlands and its new tier one mode which is great, its a real endgame atlast ]

Apparently they are planning on increasing the drop rate of classifieds when they do ill return i guess.

I'm missing the holster and I think the chest for lonestar and that's it. I have 5 sets of gloves. Every time I get a lonestar piece to drop I get giddy.
    Really just playing for div tech at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Just getting into The Division the last week folks after picking up the game and the season pass in the sale last week. Just reached level 10 and finding the leveling fairly slow and still getting pretty low level weapons.

Highest weapon I got was around 4000 DPS (all other weapons I'm getting since are max 3000) and that was from doing a level with my brother which was very difficult with the scaling and he was only maybe 3 levels above me at the time.

Apart from that I haven't done any real matchmaking and have been doing the levels solo along with side missions. Should I be matchmaking on the levels to get better gear quicker. Finding it a bit of a grind but still enjoying the game.

Just want to use my time wisely and not be pi$$ing around with side missions that are a few levels below me if I'm not getting much from them.

Any advice on what I should be doing to level more efficiently and to get better gear appreciated.

Don't get too hung up about the dps on a gun. The DPS on the fast firing snipers are insanely high but don't do as much damage as the bolt action ones and you're probably better off with an AR or SMG as a primary anyway. Snipers are very useful in getting to level 30 though so make sure you have one as a secondary. As you level up you will get better gear, trust me.

Levelling up can be grindy particularly after the mid 20s. Matchmaking with higher level players will rank you up much quicker but you may find it becomes too rushed. You could rank a player from 0 to 270 in a couple of hours I reckon.

Matchmaking is quite good in the game but not sure how you'll fare as a level 10 as most of the community will be at max level so numbers may be low.

Where you really need the side missions is to level up so you are not underpowered for the main story missions. I'd ignore them otherwise and concentrate on the Base of Operations Wing missions (Medical, Tactical and Security) these will open up some pretty good perks. One of them gives extra xp which will help. I'd also equip the ballistic shield as a skill if running solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

skerry wrote: »
    Just getting into The Division the last week folks after picking up the game and the season pass in the sale last week. Just reached level 10 and finding the leveling fairly slow and still getting pretty low level weapons.

Highest weapon I got was around 4000 DPS (all other weapons I'm getting since are max 3000) and that was from doing a level with my brother which was very difficult with the scaling and he was only maybe 3 levels above me at the time.

Apart from that I haven't done any real matchmaking and have been doing the levels solo along with side missions. Should I be matchmaking on the levels to get better gear quicker. Finding it a bit of a grind but still enjoying the game.

Just want to use my time wisely and not be pi$$ing around with side missions that are a few levels below me if I'm not getting much from them.

Any advice on what I should be doing to level more efficiently and to get better gear appreciated.

Even though the levels are below your level you still get XP for doing them which will rank you up. Weapon drops are at the same level you are, you can't equip a weapon that's a higher level than you so you need to rank up to get better weapons and gear.
    Keep plugging away at missions you haven't done and check vendors for better gear to replace the lowest level pieces you have. Don't rush to the end game (level 30) to fast but would be good if you got there before then next global even in a few weeks.

Don't get too hung up about the dps on a gun. The DPS on the fast firing snipers are insanely high but don't do as much damage as the bolt action ones and you're probably better off with an AR or SMG as a primary anyway. Snipers are very useful in getting to level 30 though so make sure you have one as a secondary. As you level up you will get better gear, trust me.

Levelling up can be grindy particularly after the mid 20s. Matchmaking with higher level players will rank you up much quicker but you may find it becomes too rushed. You could rank a player from 0 to 270 in a couple of hours I reckon.

Matchmaking is quite good in the game but not sure how you'll fare as a level 10 as most of the community will be at max level so numbers may be low.

Where you really need the side missions is to level up so you are not underpowered for the main story missions. I'd ignore them otherwise and concentrate on the Base of Operations Wing missions (Medical, Tactical and Security) these will open up some pretty good perks. One of them gives extra xp which will help. I'd also equip the ballistic shield as a skill if running solo.

Thanks, my 2 highest DPS weapons are both Marksman Rifles. Should I just be paying attention to DMG then at the moment?

I picked up that XP bonus perk alright and the credits bonus but vendors don't seem to have too much good gear at the moment, or maybe I'm just paying too much attention to DPS and effects on Primary Attributes.

I tried a Level 12 mission last night and got my a$$ handed to me by the first few baddies on the mission so went back to side quests. Think I need to take a good look at my loadout so.

Did the primary BoE missions but not seeing a huge amount of missions for primary attributes popping up on the map, maybe I just need to open up some more of the map.

Bit of a learning curve for sure when compared to the likes of Destiny. Was rocking the ballistic shield at the start so must get that back in the loadout.

• Advertisement

Blackgator wrote: »
    Even though the levels are below your level you still get XP for doing them which will rank you up. Weapon drops are at the same level you are, you can't equip a weapon that's a higher level than you so you need to rank up to get better weapons and gear.
    Keep plugging away at missions you haven't done and check vendors for better gear to replace the lowest level pieces you have. Don't rush to the end game (level 30) to fast but would be good if you got there before then next global even in a few weeks.

Cheers, I must do another whip around to the vendors and see what they have on offer and not get too bogged down on DPS. I think I need to grind through some more side missions anyway as the next main missions on my map are level 12. I find this game punishes you a lot more for going into a level slightly under leveled whereas you might get away with it in other games.

I'm guessing its a bit early at level 10 to get too hung up on primary attributes too as my gear is mostly green stuff. I have a couple of blue weapons so must check DMG on these as opposed to DPS and see what Mods I have for them as haven't paid too much attention to modding yet

Yeah I'd definitely lose one of the marksman rifles as you'll be in trouble when you get rushed. Something like an SVD marksman rifle might be best for where you're at as the bolt action ones can be more difficult to use but will kill quick with headshots.
    Things like DMG and DPS can be important but it's more about how comfortable you are using the gun. I saw someone say they used a particular sniper for 15 levels but typically you're better of just trying to use the highest ranked gun as you level up.
    Dong a level 12 mission as a level 10 is hard (maybe borderline insanity). Even going in a level or two over it can still be quite tough but typically you would want to at least be the same level as the mission you are attempting. THIS GAME CAN BE CHALLENGING. I've lost my s**t a number of times running through the story mission.
    I think to unlock the BoO missions you have to progress through the story and level up. Some of these are a pain. The Virus detection ones in particular.
    Yeah I always found the shield useful. Typically you want to try pick off as much of the enemy as possible with a marksman, especially on some missions.

I rarely buy anything at the vendors going through the story (maybe an odd gold weapon), most of my stuff will come from drops and missions

Yeah I'd definitely lose one of the marksman rifles as you'll be in trouble when you get rushed. Something like an SVD marksman rifle might be best for where you're at as the bolt action ones can be more difficult to use but will kill quick with headshots.
    Things like DMG and DPS can be important but it's more about how comfortable you are using the gun. I saw someone say they used a particular sniper for 15 levels but typically you're better of just trying to use the highest ranked gun as you level up.
    Dong a level 12 mission as a level 10 is hard (maybe borderline insanity). Even going in a level or two over it can still be quite tough but typically you would want to at least be the same level as the mission you are attempting. THIS GAME CAN BE CHALLENGING. I've lost my s**t a number of times running through the story mission.
    I think to unlock the BoO missions you have to progress through the story and level up. Some of these are a pain. The Virus detection ones in particular.
    Yeah I always found the shield useful. Typically you want to try pick off as much of the enemy as possible with a marksman, especially on some missions.

I rarely buy anything at the vendors going through the story (maybe an odd gold weapon), most of my stuff will come from drops and missions

Cool, I'll see what I have in my inventory in the way of half decent assault rifles. Was using an AK-47 but it wasn't making a dent on the guys a level or 2 above me when I was playing co-op.

Find the marksman good for thinning out enemies before they get close as you were saying but need something for when they get in my face too.

I noticed vendor gear is a bot crap alright, what should I be spending my currency on then, or should I be squirreling it away for higher levels?

Definitely a punishing game. Haven't even considered Dark Zone yet and presume I'd be as well off stay away from it for the moment anyway if Level 12 NPC's are slaughtering me :(

I wouldn't be too worried about squirreling away money. I started cashing in items over the weekend trying to get a commendation and over a few hours my money went from 270M to 360M. Where I used all my money early on is rolling gear and weapons but you won't need to do this for a while.
    There is a tier of ARs. Generally LW M4, LVOAC, G36 (although I don't use this) are considered top tier but as you rank up I'd say the gun level is more important. AK47 is probably second tier but it's a good gun.
    DZ has grades. I've always waited till I maxed out my character before engaging in the DZ but the first level is capped at level 14. I'm really not sure how it works. What you find is some level 14s are actually really max rank DZ players who will slaughter you. There's no need for you to venture in just yet. I really like the DZ for farming higher end items, it can be fun and frustrating.

I wouldn't be too worried about squirreling away money. I started cashing in items over the weekend trying to get a commendation and over a few hours my money went from 270M to 360M. Where I used all my money early on is rolling gear and weapons but you won't need to do this for a while.
    There is a tier of ARs. Generally LW M4, LVOAC, G36 (although I don't use this) are considered top tier but as you rank up I'd say the gun level is more important. AK47 is probably second tier but it's a good gun.
    DZ has grades. I've always waited till I maxed out my character before engaging in the DZ but the first level is capped at level 14. I'm really not sure how it works. What you find is some level 14s are actually really max rank DZ players who will slaughter you. There's no need for you to venture in just yet. I really like the DZ for farming higher end items, it can be fun and frustrating.

Thanks for the advice gimli2112. I'll get my loadout sorted and get the grind back on over the weekend.

Will see what decent AR's or LMG's I have in my stash. Find it hard to figure out what to look out for as I'm not familiar at all with the weapons tiers or names. If only I had my D1 Hopscotch Pilgrim I'd be sorted :D

I know from playing Destiny at least that lower level players are generally not new to the game and are usually experienced players that are leveling up another character and will wipe the floor with you generally :(

God I loved the Hopscotch Pilgrim from D1, when it first came out.

God I loved the Hopscotch Pilgrim from D1, when it first came out.

Got into D1 late and after the heyday of pulse rifles but did some damage with my God Roll Pilgrim - Rangefinder, HLS and Glass Half Full, great gun.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

While the DZ can be frustrating it's really not that bad. It depends on your approach and attitude to the area.

I geared up by solely farming in the DZ from World Tier 1 to World Tier 5

From the perspective of approach:
    This is a loot shooter and omg there is so much loot. The amount of drops you get from clearing landmarks is insane that it sort of makes drops irrelevant. Considering putting your own level cap on items that you will pick up or you will hit that extraction limit of 9 quickly. Personally I only pick up items that are > 275 and are classified. Dependent on your World Tier and gear level at the time.

From the perspective of attitude:
    You are PvE specced in an area that has PvP. You will not fair well in a PvP fight. However, this is not a reason to avoid it. World Tier 1,2 an 3 are desolate. The chances of meeting another rogue is slim and then the chances that they will engage in PvP is even less. There is a very high chance that they're farming just like you are.

World Tier 4 and 5 increases the likelyhood of you meeting another player. Slightly less in Tier 4.

Now let's say you are forced into a PvP fight. Firstly, I implore you to fight back! Don't just stand there and die (I've seen this too many times). Chances are that you WILL lose but the fact that you fought back is better than assuming the fetal position. Personally I've only won 2 of the fights I got involved in so far.

Now you may be thinking "But what about all my stuff?!" and the answer to that is "meh". Just move to a different landmark area. The drop rate of loot is so high that the next drop could be better than what you currently have or had. The set back from being killed is minimal. It's your ego that takes the hit.

--

The DZ is a ton of fun in my opinion. I'm almost addicted to the area because the stress into relief you get from a successful extraction is great. The contaminated events are also decent in that they test your adaptability to the situation.

Secure crate drops have never given me anything worthwhile so I kill the named boss and move on.

Hot tip: If you get at least one shot in on a named boss while someone else is clearing the area. You will still get rewarded :)

While the DZ can be frustrating it's really not that bad. It depends on your approach and attitude to the area.

I geared up by solely farming in the DZ from World Tier 1 to World Tier 5

From the perspective of approach:
    This is a loot shooter and omg there is so much loot. The amount of drops you get from clearing landmarks is insane that it sort of makes drops irrelevant. Considering putting your own level cap on items that you will pick up or you will hit that extraction limit of 9 quickly. Personally I only pick up items that are > 275 and are classified. Dependent on your World Tier and gear level at the time.

From the perspective of attitude:
    You are PvE specced in an area that has PvP. You will not fair well in a PvP fight. However, this is not a reason to avoid it. World Tier 1,2 an 3 are desolate. The chances of meeting another rogue is slim and then the chances that they will engage in PvP is even less. There is a very high chance that they're farming just like you are.

World Tier 4 and 5 increases the likelyhood of you meeting another player. Slightly less in Tier 4.

Now let's say you are forced into a PvP fight. Firstly, I implore you to fight back! Don't just stand there and die (I've seen this too many times). Chances are that you WILL lose but the fact that you fought back is better than assuming the fetal position. Personally I've only won 2 of the fights I got involved in so far.

Now you may be thinking "But what about all my stuff?!" and the answer to that is "meh". Just move to a different landmark area. The drop rate of loot is so high that the next drop could be better than what you currently have or had. The set back from being killed is minimal. It's your ego that takes the hit.

--

The DZ is a ton of fun in my opinion. I'm almost addicted to the area because the stress into relief you get from a successful extraction is great. The contaminated events are also decent in that they test your adaptability to the situation.

Secure crate drops have never given me anything worthwhile so I kill the named boss and move on.

Hot tip: If you get at least one shot in on a named boss while someone else is clearing the area. You will still get rewarded :)

Thanks, I might stick my nose in and see how it is after I level up another couple of levels. I don't think I've any loot I'd get upset about losing at the moment anyway :D

In D1 crucible was the most frustrating part of the game for me at the start but ended up being all I played as I got used to it and found myself getting respectable placings in matches. Hoping DZ will fill that gap once I get some experience and good gear cos I'd like to fill that PVP gap in my life since crucible got crap

• Advertisement

Well, I need advice too hehe. I spent Valentine's night playing Division and reaching level 30. Don't judge me, by the time I finished work and came back home, misses was snoring her tits off. :D

Anyway, I did it. I am 30 now. Only played a bit after, but I pretty much got my arse handed to me by everything even more then before. This game is not ****ing around, I love it, but I had a lot of nerd rage moments, for example when I got just one shoted by some prick who flanked me, while 6 of his buddies just pinned me down in my cover.

I have almost maxed all of the wings. Just need one more skill in 2 of them. So from what I read above, I will work on maxing them out.
    Do I continue with actual story main quests too? I still have part of the map where I did not put my foot down.
    How should I start improving my gear? I am not looking to do rushing and just be carried to get good gear. Its no fun. I would much prefer a way, that I can use solo for now and can learn more about game. Don't want to be that guy, who tries to do high level content with other people and be a burden, instead of equal contributor with the fight.

Advertisement