Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Maybe I'm missing something because I didn't get to play the multiplayer element or experience the Dark Zone, but this game seems underwhelming.

You have a Gears of War cover system and incredibly samey and dumb bullet sponge AI running straight at you. Easy to pick them off from behind cover. The "A" for cover appearing beside every wall and piece of cover gets annoying too.

Not a game for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Maybe I'm missing something because I didn't get to play the multiplayer element or experience the Dark Zone, but this game seems underwhelming.

You have a Gears of War cover system and incredibly samey and dumb bullet sponge AI running straight at you. Easy to pick them off from behind cover. The "A" for cover appearing beside every wall and piece of cover gets annoying too.

Not a game for me at least.

We the DZ is absolutely the best fun part of the game so if you missed that then you didn't give it a fair try.

I don't know about the AI enemies being terrible. Did you try the Subway mission on your own? You're taking cover from the cleaners with their flame throwers and the guys with the shields come from nowhere to run at you. That can be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Jayop wrote: »
    We the DZ is absolutely the best fun part of the game so if you missed that then you didn't give it a fair try.

I don't know about the AI enemies being terrible. Did you try the Subway mission on your own? You're taking cover from the cleaners with their flame throwers and the guys with the shields come from nowhere to run at you. That can be tricky.

So overwhelming odds and enemies that appear out of nowhere equates to good AI then?

I see lots of mentions of Destiny on this thread too, so is this going to be one of those "grind for little to no reward" types? Errrr, no thanks.

So overwhelming odds and enemies that appear out of nowhere equates to good AI then?

I see lots of mentions of Destiny on this thread too, so is this going to be one of those "grind for little to no reward" types? Errrr, no thanks.

I guess "out of nowhere" was the wrong way to put it. If you were standing up you'd see them entering the room and running towards you, but because you're covering sometimes they sneak up on you.

I'm not a big gamer and never played Destiny but I just enjoy games with free-roam that you play online with mates. GTA5 was my favourite game of all time and this has a similar feel with the online play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Liked the look of this TBH....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I guess "out of nowhere" was the wrong way to put it. If you were standing up you'd see them entering the room and running towards you, but because you're covering sometimes they sneak up on you.

I'm not a big gamer and never played Destiny but I just enjoy games with free-roam that you play online with mates. GTA5 was my favourite game of all time and this has a similar feel with the online play.

If you've never played destiny, go get the legendary edition for cheap now, despite all the moaning online from long term players, its still one of the best co-op, first person shooters available. I'm only a casual player and I've 185 hours logged in it. Its a fantastic game in its current state, and the biggest complaint people have is that they're not making more of it, fast enough.

One of my mates had the sniper rifle last night and it was a great gun. I didn't manage to find one.

I'm usually awful with them anyway in games.

If you've never played destiny, go get the legendary edition for cheap now, despite all the moaning online from long term players, its still one of the best co-op, first person shooters available. I'm only a casual player and I've 185 hours logged in it. Its a fantastic game in its current state, and the biggest complaint people have is that they're not making more of it, fast enough.

Good shout. I see a lot of my friends still playing it when I turn on my xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

The open Beta was lots of fun and it was great to have the opportunity to experience it after missing out on the closed beta recently.

There is no denying the world they've created is visually stunning. At one point a snow storm rolled in and with the random gunfire in the background it made me think wow, thats class. And at times in the dark zone there was a real feeling of menace in the air. Yet the game itself is puzzling and despite thinking about it today I'm still not sure about it.

One time for example while on the way to an extraction point (with another boardsie Stephen), we were approached by a group of seemingly non-hostile agents. I don't know if it was by design or a glitch - the group chat settings were acting funny all weekend - we both heard what sounded like radio chatter and before we knew it we were goaded into retaliating, turned rogue and got taken down losing our gear. In hindsight it was obvious but when it unfolded in real time - hearing US accents and complaints about our crap gear - all made it seem a bit surreal. That said I agree - this will become tiring really fast.

The game has so much potential, it could be an absolute gem but the atmosphere alone will only get it so far. For what its worth I'd like to see a bit more of the actual game play or read a few more reviews myself before pre-ordering. As it stands I'm still undecided.

That's something that had really crept in by Sunday night. People putting one or two shots into you or shooting the ground beside you. I wasn't enough to make them turn rogue but they were clearly trying to goad us into hooting them so they could kill us for free.

• Advertisement

That's something that had really crept in by Sunday night. People putting one or two shots into you or shooting the ground beside you. I wasn't enough to make them turn rogue but they were clearly trying to goad us into hooting them so they could kill us for free.

And yet any time I or any of the lads on the fireteam fired one or two shots at someone we seemed to go rogue instantly.

CDBWhoop wrote: »
    And yet any time I or any of the lads on the fireteam fired one or two shots at someone we seemed to go rogue instantly.

It depended really. Sometimes with one stray bullet I'd go rouge for a few seconds, other times it would let me away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Best off just run up and Shotgun them right off the bat, regardless of what they are doing.

Haha, the old shoot first approach... yeah you're probably right.

Yet if you take a chance and the other crew aren't interested in your crappy gear you might just get to the choppa! Shoot first and even if you win you turn rouge and your chances of keeping your gear are slim to none. Grand if you're carrying green gloves, not so much if your carrying decent loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How do the guys attacking you know what gear your extracting?

emmetkenny wrote: »

Generally they'd get an idea because of how much of a fight I'll put up. If it's good stuff I'll run like the clappers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Played for about 3 hours the other night with a few lads from the Destiny clan and thought it was a good laugh. Well it was until the server was deserted by everyone outside of the fireteam.

I'd say the game has a lot of potential but it hasn't really lived up to or demonstrated it in the beta

All in all it's not bad and I'll more than likely buy a physical copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

buy a physical copy.

This is what I'm doing. I'm wary of Ubi after Watchdogs and Unity so I've ordered a physical copy off Amazon and if it's a mess/glitch/broken I'll sell it on after a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

emmetkenny wrote: »
    They don't. Which is why I pick up any ole crap so I don't look suspicious at an extraction zone when I am about to pounce and rob some gear :D

They only know you are carrying some gear because a yellow canister appears clipped on to their back packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

They don't. Which is why I pick up any ole crap so I don't look suspicious at an extraction zone when I am about to pounce and rob some gear :D

Not going to lie... that is alot of fun :):D

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    Not going to lie... that is alot of fun :):D

It is when you in a group of three or four....but alot of the time you probably gonna be playing the game solo. So TBH you really cant go near the DZ if you are playing alone there really is no point whatsoever.

Coz you are just gonna lose DZ funds and DZ xp like crazy. Which is a shame really....

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    It is when you in a group of three or four....but alot of the time you probably gonna be playing the game solo. So TBH you really cant go near the DZ if you are playing alone there really is no point whatsoever.

Coz you are just gonna lose DZ funds and DZ xp like crazy. Which is a shame really....

I played the DZ solo on a number of occasions. Yes you get killed sometimes but there are other times people leave you alone and you get to extract without any hassle. It really keeps you on edge when you enter the DZ, makes it feel like you need eyes in the back of your head which would not be far from the truth in a situation like The Division.

Yeah you not too pushed now but getting raped when you have much higher level stuff and after grafting for an age to get it will seriously do you nut in, especially when you dont do it. And TBH its never one on one that I dont mind....its getting jumped by 3-4 man teams playing solo is just stupid.

Yeah you not too pushed now but getting raped when you have much higher level stuff and after grafting for an age to get it will seriously do you nut in, especially when you dont do it. And TBH its never one on one that I dont mind....its getting jumped by 3-4 man teams playing solo is just stupid.

I agree with your point. I can see myself getting angry if I get a very good item and I get ganked by a team as I try to extract. I am not sure if there should be a bigger penalty for players who gank all the time. Maybe if a player ganks constantly, they are unable to extract items for 30 minutes...

But then again I think that would be harsh because the DZ is setup in such a way that ganking is a fundamental mechanic of the PVP area.

I just have a feeling that the mechanics are gonna back fire big time with the DZ, I can see the DZ being a 90% rogue area and very few people being non hostile. Aggression breeds aggression its only a matter of time before NICE PEOPLE stop being nice after the 10th rape-age!

It will be interesting to say the least....

I just have a feeling that the mechanics are gonna back fire big time with the DZ, I can see the DZ being a 90% rogue area and very few people being non hostile. Aggression breeds aggression its only a matter of time before NICE PEOPLE stop being nice after the 10th rape-age!

It will be interesting to say the least....

I am a nice person 90% of the time, the only time I really go rogue is to defend myself. I know Failsafe will agree, we had the most fun and most success when we just became rogue hunters, like good dooers :) We waited for some baddies to become rogue and then our team of four hunted them down to keep the peace :) That way, you never go rogue yourself and you help to stop the assholes killing players 24/7.

Most of the time I will use the emotes to let other neutral players know I mean no harm and I am not a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Trolling trolls is always fun, you get to be a prick without doing any harm. :D

This looks like it could be fun as part of a regular team. Not sure the Dark Zone would be to my taste and I won't be getting this day one.
    Maybe down the line if it is well put together.

logik wrote: »
    Most of the time I will use the emotes to let other neutral players know I mean no harm and I am not a threat.

LMAO, I would be more wary of people playing nice at the evac zone. If you mean no harm go hide away from me that what I do. I only pop out last minute and do the bizzo and gone.

The busy ****ers running around like mad are the ones looking for the best opportunity to strike in my experience.

Ubisoft reporting the beta had 6.4 million players making it the biggest beta ever for a new game brand on current generation platforms.

Over 63 million contaminated items were successfully extracted out of the Dark Zone.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Ubisoft reporting the beta had 6.4 million players making it the biggest beta ever for a new game brand on current generation platforms.

Over 63 million contaminated items were successfully extracted out of the Dark Zone.

Link

Star Wars Battlefront Beta had 9.5 million.

Ubisoft trying to pull a fast one to encourage some quick pre-orders. Trying to make it seem like its the biggest beta ever but then its just a few words that they twist. (*for a new game brand)

Advertisement