Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just picked up the blue 1TB Xbox one forza edition so don't know what platform to get the division on!!! Prolly best to stick with ps4 as I have an extended friends list to play MP with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just picked up the blue 1TB Xbox one forza edition so don't know what platform to get the division on!!! Prolly best to stick with ps4 as I have an extended friends list to play MP with.

Nonsense... come on over to the Xbox Live side ;)

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the XO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Stay where you are we don't want your kind over here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No place for Turncoats in here!!

(said someone who's come over from PS3) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Jayop wrote: »
    No place for Turncoats in here!!

(said someone who's come over from PS3) ;)

Ah, there are allowances when it comes to cross generational swapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Has the game gone gold? usually theres a big announcement but I noticed that it has already downloaded to my console after I bought it and hadnt heard a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Has the game gone gold? usually theres a big announcement but I noticed that it has already downloaded to my console after I bought it and hadnt heard a peep.

Yes its gone gold, i read its already being sold in some parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Still no reviews yet and it's out next week. Hope it's not going be a release day review.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still no reviews yet and it's out next week. Hope it's not going be a release day review.

It can't really be reviewed until Ubi make the servers live. I think this has to be online connected even to play solo.

It can't really be reviewed until Ubi make the servers live. I think this has to be online connected even to play solo.
    They can simply launch a few servers for reviewers who have a copy.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree, any game that only got a review on the launch day did not to well. I guess its the same as a new movie going straight to DVD!!!

Hopefully we get a get review up soon as I cant wait for this now, getting motion sickness playing forza 6 24hrs a day lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yeah I agree, any game that only got a review on the launch day did not to well. l.

Not at all true for many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Caved and ordered last night form G2play. €40 for PC version. Now just gotta finish Mad Max, Just Cause 3 and Saints Row 4 before Tuesday:-0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wasn't all that enamoured after the beta, but since then I've wanted to dip back into this a good few times. Think I might have to buy it after all. :pac:

So I've never pre-ordered a game with Amazon before. Should I receive it on release day or a few days after?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Usually a couple of days after, but sometimes they get the stock out a day or two ahead of official launch day and you'll get a surprise :)

Shiminay wrote: »
    Usually a couple of days after, but sometimes they get the stock out a day or two ahead of official launch day and you'll get a surprise :)

If what I've read on here about the disk being useless without the servers being online makes me hope they'll post them early./

Not at all true for many cases.

In fairness we are talking a AAA title here Chaos, I honestly cant remember a AAA title not getting hyped like mad and being pushed for months before release and reviewed like crazy.....maybe the odd one.

But it is a little quite on the review front all the same.

In fairness we are talking a AAA title here Chaos, I honestly cant remember a AAA title not getting hyped like mad and being pushed for months before release and reviewed like crazy.....maybe the odd one.

But it is a little quite on the review front all the same.
    Yep. I expected reviews out by today for it. Looks like they are going to pull the launch day crap with reviews only taking place at launch. Which is concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

they are going to pull the launch day crap with reviews only taking place at launch. Which is concerning.

Oh.... this is rarely ever a good thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Wouldn't reviews which take into consideration how the game plays in the real world with populated servers and final release code be considerably more valuable than pre-release ones where these systems haven't be stressed with just review copies active?

I mean, isn't this the kind of stuff folk have been complaining about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I guess all the launch day pieces will be early impression write ups and a full review once the servers are live and its been tested properly

gizmo wrote: »
    Wouldn't reviews which take into consideration how the game plays in the real world with populated servers and final release code be considerably more valuable than pre-release ones where these systems haven't be stressed with just review copies active?

I mean, isn't this the kind of stuff folk have been complaining about? :confused:
    Very similar to what Bungie said about Destiny and we all know now what they were hiding. A very short disjointed campaign.

In The Division we aren't really going to see many players while playing through the campaign. There are going to be a few places like the base camp where you see a good few players who are on the server but once you leave these areas you don't come into contact with other players unless you are in the Dark Zone or another safe area.

What I'd expect at this stage is a review of the campaign which is basically a series of missions that you accomplish to build the base up to max capacity along with side missions to gain resources and craft gear. That would be enough to go on at this stage.

The Dark Zone could be reviewed from launch day. We all have a very good understanding of how that will go.

Delighted I did not pre order it now TBH, maybe we are over thinking it.....MAYBE!?!?

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Yep. I expected reviews out by today for it. Looks like they are going to pull the launch day crap with reviews only taking place at launch. Which is concerning.

Review embargos are hardly ever a week before launch. They usually start popping up the Sunday of launch week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Wonda-Boy wrote:
    Delighted I did not pre order it now TBH, maybe we are over thinking it.....MAYBE!?!?

I feel the very same i don't think this will have much longgivity

Its pretty much a reskined destiny though so I could be very wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Very similar to what Bungie said about Destiny and we all know now what they were hiding. A very short disjointed campaign.
    Surely that would only be a problem if people pre-ordered or bought the game before said reviews came out?
    In The Division we aren't really going to see many players while playing through the campaign. There are going to be a few places like the base camp where you see a good few players who are on the server but once you leave these areas you don't come into contact with other players unless you are in the Dark Zone or another safe area.

What I'd expect at this stage is a review of the campaign which is basically a series of missions that you accomplish to build the base up to max capacity along with side missions to gain resources and craft gear. That would be enough to go on at this stage.

The Dark Zone could be reviewed from launch day. We all have a very good understanding of how that will go.
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of reviews posted once the embargo is lifted which cover that but most publications generally don't do multiple reviews of titles so wouldn't it a more complete review of everything the game has to offer be more valuable to prospective buyers?

What I'm getting at is I don't understand why people just can't wait for a few days after release before buying it, nevermind the question of whether a pre-order is wise at this stage, especially when not only folk here are saying it's more fun played with a group of friends but the CD of Massive saying similar things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought embargoes very close to release date was pretty much common practice now? Most games only seem to be reviewed a day or two before release - and that includes indie games, not just AAA ones (Superhot and Firewatch, for example). Certainly Nintendo is the only company that springs to mind as consistently having more liberal embargo times. I'd be more surprised if there were reviews of any sort for this game already. And while a late embargo is certainly a way to mask a stinker, I can actually also see a distinct marketing benefit in only having reviews there as the game hits shop shelves / is available to download.

Even allowing for the fact getting reviewable code to reviewers in time is likely a massive challenge, yes I think it's good practice to not give a predominantly online game a full review until real world conditions have been examined, which is not possible under controlled circumstances. Hence why many publications now have 'in progress' or rough reviews at release before offering up final judgement a little later. They've been burned too many times before (Sim City, for example) to make publishing a final review at launch seem like anything but a bad idea.

And yeah I'd side with gizmo there - is it really that difficult to wait an extra day or two anyway? If there's anything wrong with The Division we'll know soon enough, so there's no reason to throw down money until that's clear.

Thought embargoes very close to release date was pretty much common practice now? Most games only seem to be reviewed a day or two before release - and that includes indie games, not just AAA ones (Superhot and Firewatch, for example). Certainly Nintendo is the only company that springs to mind as consistently having more liberal embargo times. I'd be more surprised if there were reviews of any sort for this game already. And while a late embargo is certainly a way to mask a stinker, I can actually also see a distinct marketing benefit in only having reviews there as the game hits shop shelves / is available to download.

Even allowing for the fact getting reviewable code to reviewers in time is likely a massive challenge, yes I think it's good practice to not give a predominantly online game a full review until real world conditions have been examined, which is not possible under controlled circumstances. Hence why many publications now have 'in progress' or rough reviews at release before offering up final judgement a little later. They've been burned too many times before (Sim City, for example) to make publishing a final review at launch seem like anything but a bad idea.

And yeah I'd side with gizmo there - is it really that difficult to wait an extra day or two anyway? If there's anything wrong with The Division we'll know soon enough, so there's no reason to throw down money until that's clear.
    One of the most dangerous things in gaming at the moment is the acceptance of the so called norm.

Should we not be able to read/view a game review even a week before release??

Holding reviews until after game releases, games being stripped of content in favor of regular paid DLC updates, pre-orders, shorter campaign modes, etc. The norm just keeps getting worse and worse.

I agree people could wait a day or two for a game review however this is cheap tactic by publishers deliberately used to deceive gamers and ensure that their titles sell well before even one word of criticism is written or spoken about them.

In an industry with this amount of money generated by consumers there should really be some form of ethics to protect gamers such has an industry wide review time frame prior to release of all game titles similar to movie reviews which are usually 2 weeks prior to release.

In the case of The Division we should already be reading and watching reviews at this stage. The game is ready to go. I can't find a date for when reviews will begin to appear online at the moment so we will have to see when the reviews come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Comparing it to movies is a completely unfair comparison. By the time a movie is reviewed it is complete. There is nothing else to do.

When a game is being reviewed it is still being worked on by the developers. The reviewer generally doesn't even have the final build until the consumer does.

Is it really that hard to wait on the reviews? Surely if you're waiting on reviews you aren't in a huge rush to go out and pick up the game?

Advertisement