Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

We want to actually how much content we are getting for our €50. The beta just showed graphics and gameplay mechanics but not how much of it there actually is.

Just like Destiny, the beta was most of the game imo. It was not worth €50 for the massive lack of content at launch and then you had to pay to make is a decent size game. I bought Destiny thinking there was more, actually took Bungie at their word and I got badly burned.

Destiny didn't have plenty of content at launch? Nonsense, there was plenty between campaign, multiplayer crucible, strikes, daily's, weekly strike and nightfalls along with the Vault of Glass raid.Youd barely even have time to do everything in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Destiny didn't have plenty of content at launch? Nonsense, there was plenty between campaign, multiplayer crucible, strikes, daily's, weekly strike and nightfalls along with the Vault of Glass raid.Youd barely even have time to do everything in the week.

Did you not get the memo that Destiny was / is the worst game on the market? Do people still play this game? ;)

I've played the beta for The Division. I was not blown away by it. Didn't really get to experience The DZ so can't really comment on that. The game looks good. Story wise, who knows. (This is the exact same opinion I had after the Destiny beta, and I've played very little else after picking it up on a whim about a month after release).

Everyone loves to bash Ubi: Oh Watch Dogs this, Far Cry that. Watch Dogs was a really enjoyable game. Could it have been done better? Sure. Maybe The Division will be their reconciliation in peoples eyes. We just don't know. Would press reviews of the main story mode help with this? Yes, and this is where Ubi have shot themselves in the foot a little bit. Allow the press to review the story mode. If you believe in your product, what have you got to fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, I could never get the argument that there was nothing to do, if anything there was too much. I still only managed to level one character to the max. Its always been 'cool' to take shots at destiny, but man, i think its one of the best games I've played in the last 10 years.

I'm hopeful the division turns out to be great, and I'm also hopeful that they've a few surprises up their sleeve for after launch. This time next week we'll all have a better idea of whats what anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shiminay wrote: »
    Ubisoft turns on a server or ten and gives them access. That's how these things have always worked.

They did it with SimCity. And DriveClub. And The Master Chief Collection. And we all know how they turned out after launch :( Really think it's best for everyone, except maybe the publishers/developers and pre-orderers, for online components of games to be reviewed some time after public launch in case, as is increasingly likely, there's a complete and utter ****ing meltdown, which is distressingly common. Which is not to say the same thing about non-online (if they exist) components, of course, or that publishers don't have something to gain from reviews of bad or mediocre games being held back until a couple of days after they're on sale. But yeah would definitely rather an online game be reviewed in 'real world' conditions given some troubled launches over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-03-the-division-to-get-raids-player-trading-via-free-post-launch-updates

Raids confirmed for The Divsion but I am surprised about the ingame player trading feature. Great idea and I am glad they decided to put it into the game.

Also more DZ features are coming.

• Advertisement

logik wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-03-the-division-to-get-raids-player-trading-via-free-post-launch-updates

Raids confirmed for The Divsion but I am surprised about the ingame player trading feature. Great idea and I am glad they decided to put it into the game.

This is very interesting indeed. Puts it back on the radar for me. Raids, IMHO, have become essential in this sort of game. Thanks Destiny, you got something right, amiright?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

For those that pre-ordered with GamesPlanet, they're sending out keys now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

For those that pre-ordered with GamesPlanet, they're sending out keys now :P
    Early keys won't matter since the servers won't go live until launch day.

logik wrote: »

That's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Early keys won't matter since the servers won't go live until launch day.

Yeah, no doubt. Just put it here anyways in case those that pre-ordered it with them were curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This is very interesting indeed. Puts it back on the radar for me. Raids, IMHO, have become essential in this sort of game. Thanks Destiny, you got something right, amiright?

Destiny is far from the first game to feature raids, it's a feature found in other MMO type games for years before Destiny was even an idea in someone's head.
    Good that's it's added but really should be a standard affair these days in any game like this.

• Advertisement

Destiny is far from the first game to feature raids, it's a feature found in other MMO type games for years before Destiny was even an idea in someone's head.
    Good that's it's added but really should be a standard affair these days in any game like this.

Ah of course they have, I was meaning more of this genre mashup type game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The raids are only 4 player though aren't they , so not much different from the normal missions.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shiminay wrote: »
    Ubisoft turns on a server or ten and gives them access. That's how these things have always worked.

How do you get a realistic review of a game like the Division when the player numbers are so small?

I get it's frustrating, but I also get why developers are reluctant to have people form their opinion of a game in a scenario that's guaranteed to be substandard because of a lack of scale.

It'd be like asking someone to review how awesome boards.ie is by putting them on a server hosting the site with only a handful of other people allowed access. The review would probably be sub-par but it wouldn't really be a fair representation.

awec wrote: »
    How do you get a realistic review of a game like the Division when the player numbers are so small?

I get it's frustrating, but I also get why developers are reluctant to have people form their opinion of a game in a scenario that's guaranteed to be substandard because of a lack of scale.

It'd be like asking someone to review how awesome boards.ie is by putting them on a server hosting the site with only a handful of other people allowed access. The review would probably be sub-par but it wouldn't really be a fair representation.

Ah but player numbers, or lack there of, has no impact on the quality of the story missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

awec wrote: »

The devs would have you think this is an MMO where you will interact with hundreds of players but that's not how this game works.

The interaction with other players is actually quite small. Just in a few safe houses where you can buy gear and exchange jumping jacks, salutes and other funny stuff. That's it for the vast majority of the game other than the PvP section. There is only 24 players per server.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The devs would have you think this is an MMO where you will interact with hundreds of players but that's not how this game works.

The interaction with other players is actually quite small. Just in a few safe houses where you can buy gear and exchange jumping jacks, salutes and other funny stuff. That's it for the vast majority of the game other than the PvP section. There is only 24 players per server.
    I've not played the beta but how do you reconcile the above with the comments made by the folk who have played the campaign content here which I linked earlier.

From the sounds of it, I'll be better off waiting for reviews from people who have played through the content both solo and in co-op to see which provides the better experience. If it's a case of the latter, I'll probably pick it up sooner rather than later with my mates who have considerably smaller backlogs. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Glad to hear raids have been confirmed, was worried the endgame would consist solely of the DZ which doesn't have as much appeal to me since I primarily play PvE co op multiplayer, and just know I'm going to get roasted as soon as I step inside the DZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I knew there would be lots and tots of content for the game but my fear is/was we be raped through the wallet for all the good stuff and thats not on TBH. I dont mind paying for DLC providing the game has alot to offer and you genuinely feel you are making progress and the DLC is part of the journey.

I would hate to play the game for 3 mths and be bored to tears and they release a DLC for €19.99 which is just the subway section and you rinse and repeat with same baddies etc etc......

I am gonna pick this up on launch day coz I cant stand to be a low rank a week later.....LMAO.

Achievement/Trophy list for those that care

http://www.trueachievements.com/The-Division/achievements.htm

• Advertisement

Achievement/Trophy list for those that care

http://www.trueachievements.com/The-Division/achievements.htm

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/the-division/trophies/

There is the full one with the secret ones filled in.

The servers go live this afternoon for anyone who got a copy early.

• And the "dlc"release schedule tops off the reason I dispise them

Here's what I predict happening:

Game releases tomorrow and everyone gets caught in a hype spin
    Reviews don't release for a week
    Reviews release with mediocre scores and pinpoints content being one of the main issues
    Season pass purchased
    Everybody gets the full game sometime late December 2016

Sounds cynical? Probably :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    And the "dlc"release schedule tops off the reason I dispise them

Here's what I predict happening:

Game releases tomorrow and everyone gets caught in a hype spin
    Reviews don't release for a week
    Reviews release with mediocre scores and pinpoints content being one of the main issues
    Season pass purchased
    Everybody gets the full game sometime late December 2016

Sounds cynical? Probably :P
    Force Gaming has made several reviews already based on beta game play and what he found in it. In a nut shell if you don't want to PvP it is most likely not your game and as a loot driven game it's lacking in general (due to being stuck in current era and tech rather than sci fi stuff). NPCs (and other players to a lesser degree) are bullet sponges as a way to up the difficulty of the game.

• Nody wrote: »
    Force Gaming has made several reviews already based on beta game play and what he found in it. In a nut shell if you don't want to PvP it is most likely not your game and as a loot driven game it's lacking in general (due to being stuck in current era and tech rather than sci fi stuff). NPCs (and other players to a lesser degree) are bullet sponges as a way to up the difficulty of the game.

Had made this point before but you look at the advertising and its marketed like uncharted 4 or quantem break.
    Ubisoft have come out multiple times stating this can be played as a single player experience. So why not let publishers do a single player only review? There excuse has been oh the servers won't be populated with people? Don't contradicte yourself and say it can be played single player and market it like it has some deep engaging single player story then.
    Sickens me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Had made this point before but you look at the advertising and its marketed like uncharted 4 or quantem break.
    Ubisoft have come out multiple times stating this can be played as a single player experience. So why not let publishers do a single player only review? There excuse has been oh the servers won't be populated with people? Don't contradicte yourself and say it can be played single player and market it like it has some deep engaging single player story then.
    Sickens me
    Sorry but anyone buying a Ubisoft games these days and believing anything Ubisoft says has it coming... If there was the odd failure in their history ok but honestly between Watch Dogs, the travesty of Assassin creed's unity or Rainbow Six Siege servers (and I'm not going to bring up all the failures and stupid comments about 30 FPS etc. or female characters on top of the games themselves) you have to have lived in a cave for the last couple of years to have failed to noticed they lie through their teeth about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fecking amazon still hasn't dispachee my order. Probably next week before I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Jayop wrote: »
    Fecking amazon still hasn't dispachee my order. Probably next week before I get it.

Mine was dispatched on Saturday so might get it by tomorrow night (being sent to Parcel Motel so could arrive there for tomorrow ), not in any rush for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Nody wrote: »
    In a nut shell if you don't want to PvP it is most likely not your game

The PvP from a mechanical and competitive standpoint is extremely weak.
    3rd person PvP does not generally have the depth or gun-play skill ceilings that FPS games have.
    There is no real Deathmatch or 4v4 mode or "Capture the Flag".
    If more than a very small percentage of players spend more than 50 hours in the Dark Zone, I'd be very surprised. I was "done" with it after about 2 or 3 hours.

I'm not saying it will be awful, it will just lack longevity,
    Speaking from observing the Destiny community players are a LOT less likely to grind PvP than they are PvE since you're more reliant on being a good player.

The top tier Purple/Yellow weapons better be bloody interesting, cause ain't no-one going to grind the DZ for a machine gun with 2.5% more rate of fire.

The Dark Zone won't be "Bad" but if Ubisoft are expecting to ship a 16 hour single-player campaign with the Dark Zone being the be all and end all, they are going to be lynched juts like Bungie was and it'll take a long while to rebuild consumer confidence in the game/series

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd agree with that. One of the best things about Destiny was getting that unique high end gun, which actually had interesting stats/abilities. If it's just a case of your M4A having a small bit of extra damage while looking identical, it won't keep people interested for anywhere near as long.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. One of the best things about Destiny was getting that unique high end gun, which actually had interesting stats/abilities. If it's just a case of your M4A having a small bit of extra damage while looking identical, it won't keep people interested for anywhere near as long.

That's part of the problem when you go with real world present day setting and the TC name. You are limiting what you can and cannot do. That's hard for a looter RPG. If this game was like, The Last of Us meets Ghost Recon then fine, it's what I'd actually rather they made.

Destiny can do whatever it likes as it has no real limits per se. Same with fantasy RPGs like The Witcher or Diablo.
    Borderlands did the whole looter fps RPG thing perfectly, it went out to be as whacky as it could at the same time.

Advertisement