Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Won't even matter when your playing with 3 other people. You'll just rip through enemies anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Won't even matter when your playing with 3 other people. You'll just rip through enemies anyway.

What ever happened to solo games?

Having to rely on decent Ubi servers for a decent game is not great, just look at the Rainbow Six servers, massive problems with match making and hit boxes registering. You spend longer looking for a game than a match lasts.

Ubi just never learn when it comes to online. They should let console players with good connections host matches too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Same here, for such a realistic looking and feeling game, I was expecting Arma-style time to kills - as in single bullet to kill, anywhere in the head or torso - not this crap where it takes a whole mag to kill someone, even with headshots.

That's initially what I was hoping for then I played the alpha and realised it's like Destiny and other RPGs where your shooting deducts damage according to the enemy rank.

Come across a rank 1 or 2 enemy and 2 headshots do the trick but bump into a much higher ranked enemy and you'll have to pump huge amounts of bullets into their heads and bodies. Even when in a group this is still how it works. You'll be enable to dispense of enemies much faster but you'll have to plug away at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Bullets are cheap as chips so why not leather them in to the enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

VinLieger wrote: »
    I don't really understand all the reactions of people complaining it's not a "real" shooter and is an ARPG, nothing I've seen since this game was first show at e3 has looked like a real shooter and every time a fight has been shown numbers were popping off showing hit damage, that tied with the weapons always displaying dps and talk about classes, this confusion people are displaying ironically is confusing me as I don't understand how the could ever have thought it was anything but an ARPG

I understand it fine, as my 9000hrs or so in Destiny would attest, it's a frustrating mechanic. Breaks immersion and cheapens the value of your weapons, when I'm lamping someone out of it with a high powered gun and they keep coming at me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

naughto wrote: »
    Bullets are cheap as chips so why not leather them in to the enemy

Because it's not realistic. It can be an RPG while at the same time have realistic kill times. Take Arma 3 Life, for example.

Ghost Recon Wildlands looks to be a really fun game, with more realistic mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

They should let console players with good connections host matches too.

Thats a ridiculous idea, soon as the person hosting dies they **** off and leave the rest in LIMBO. Well most of the time anyway!!!!!

One of the main things I really dislike about RB TBH.

That's initially what I was hoping for then I played the alpha and realised it's like Destiny and other RPGs where your shooting deducts damage according to the enemy rank.

Come across a rank 1 or 2 enemy and 2 headshots do the trick but bump into a much higher ranked enemy and you'll have to pump huge amounts of bullets into their heads and bodies. Even when in a group this is still how it works. You'll be enable to dispense of enemies much faster but you'll have to plug away at them.

The PS4 lads are all Lone Wolves Failsafe,Dont really get the concept of playing a co-op game with other players :pac:

From looking at preview videos, different villains have different levels of difficulty, which is displayed above their heads in a Borderlands' style. My assumption is that the higher powered weapons makes it easier to kill them. While I don't mind the whole bullet sponge, a mechanic I dislike is replenishing health. This seemed to be the case in gameplay videos, unless I'm misunderstanding. "Oh, no, I've got a mortal wound. Better duck down and wait. That'll cure it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Because it's not realistic. It can be an RPG while at the same time have realistic kill times. Take Arma 3 Life, for example.

How much are the bullets for that game?

TBH was it ever touting itself as a "realistic shooter"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thought it was when it was first shown, using cars as cover and proper bullet holes passing through the windows. Even all the guns have their proper real names and they don't in Rainbow Six. Back in 2013 when this was shown at E3 it had the most real to life graphics I had even seen, it all pointed to team based survival.

Not third person Destiny with a realistic setting which is exactly what this has turned into.

No it wasn't, really, all the trailers I can remember seeing showed ridiculous time to kills...which is why I'm unsure as to why "Tom Clancy" is in the title, because this isn't really a typical Tom Clancy game, is it?

I was expecting a modern-day city-scape version of DayZ, with proper weapons, and some extra frills. I have never experienced the bone shilling tension felt in DayZ while trying to sneek into a base so you get the jump of a few players, and then killing them quickly and silently, in any other game. The massive consequences to dying made it all the worthwhile, and you needed to be fearful of your surroundings at all times. I'm sure many others can agree with that. I don't understand why more games don't use this mechanic, and I was hoping that the Division would.
    naughto wrote: »
    How much are the bullets for that game?
    Can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure there was no shortage of bullets.

No it wasn't, really, all the trailers I can remember seeing showed ridiculous time to kills...which is why I'm unsure as to why "Tom Clancy" is in the title, because this isn't really a typical Tom Clancy game, is it?

I was expecting a modern-day city-scape version of DayZ, with proper weapons, and some extra frills. I have never experienced the bone shilling tension felt in DayZ while trying to sneek into a base so you get the jump of a few players, and then killing them quickly and silently, in any other game. The massive consequences to dying made it all the worthwhile, and you needed to be fearful of your surroundings at all times. I'm sure many others can agree with that. I don't understand why more games don't use this mechanic, and I was hoping that the Division would.

Can't remember exactly, but I'm fairly sure there was no shortage of bullets.

The Darkzones actually is pretty much identical to DayZ type scenarios.You can be in there for a hour or two getting some top quality gear and then once you have it, your heart is pounding when you meet other fireteams and not knowing whether their friendly or not.
    Pretty much when everyone meets their like scoping each other out to see if either side has the yellow bags hanging off their backpacks.Then you have to get to an extraction zone, call in an extraction helicopter which takes about a minute to get there all the while everyone in the that Darkzone is alerted to you trying to extract.You then have to run to the middle and tie the bag to an extraction cable while your hoping the other team doesn't start shooting you in the back.Makes for some fantastic defensive and offensive firefights.

The Darkzones actually is pretty much identical to DayZ type scenarios.You can be in there for a hour or two getting some top quality gear and then once you have it, your heart is pounding when you meet other fireteams and not knowing whether their friendly or not.
    Pretty much when everyone meets their like scoping each other out to see if either side has the yellow bags hanging off their backpacks.Then you have to get to an extraction zone, call in an extraction helicopter which takes about a minute to get there all the while everyone in the that Darkzone is alerted to you trying to extract.You then have to run to the middle and tie the bag to an extraction cable while your hoping the other team doesn't start shooting you in the back.Makes for some fantastic defensive and offensive firefights.

Yeah, I know all that, but it would be more tense IMO if you knew that one or two bullets could end it for you. (Obviously then, the process of extraction should be made easier to compensate, but you get the picture)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I understand it fine, as my 9000hrs or so in Destiny would attest, it's a frustrating mechanic. Breaks immersion and cheapens the value of your weapons, when I'm lamping someone out of it with a high powered gun and they keep coming at me.

Obviously you don't as none of the trailers or gameplay ever showed anything but what is being revealed in the recent play sessions and yet people are still whining about rpg elements, bullet sponges, no iron sights etc etc when I don't remember once it ever being claimed it was gonna be anything but that, fair enough you don't like the mechanics but it's your fault for deluding yourself into believing this would be something else when all visible evidence has always pointed to the contrary

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

http://www.gamesradar.com/10-unexpected-things-i-did-first-two-hours-division

All sounds good except for the bullet sponge issue. Not a fan of it myself, especially in a realistic setting. The Dark Zone sounds like a right laugh.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Obviously you don't as none of the trailers or gameplay ever showed anything but what is being revealed in the recent play sessions and yet people are still whining about rpg elements, bullet sponges, no iron sights etc etc when I don't remember once it ever being claimed it was gonna be anything but that, fair enough you don't like the mechanics but it's your fault for deluding yourself into believing this would be something else when all visible evidence has always pointed to the contrary

Well, as others have said, the first gameplay reveals showed fairly realistic looking firefights, with bullet holes and all that jazz. Hardly shocking that one could come away with that impression.

Well, as others have said, the first gameplay reveals showed fairly realistic looking firefights, with bullet holes and all that jazz. Hardly shocking that one could come away with that impression.

You honestly expected a game to stay exactly the same as 3 years ago? Also the gameplay reveal gives no indication as to what kind of combat is being shown, is it low level starting area, any bosses or what? its here btw and tbh in comparison to what ive seen from the recent stuff looks pretty similar, bullet hits still tick off numbers and i noticed a point where at least 2 headshots to an enemy didnt take him down

As for bullet holes etc i have no idea how cosmetic stuff like that relates to the gameplay mechanics and what people would expect

Heres the trailer from 2014 not much difference in how many bullets people are taking and again no indication what level these enemies are, also you have to take into account the demos are all likely on god mode etc. You will notice normal enemies go down pretty quickly similar to 2013 and that the boss is as would be expected a bullet sponge

Now heres some gameplay from e3 2015 of specifically the dark zone which is meant to be a more difficult area for one and you can finally see lvls of enemies. Can you please point out the difference as you see them and the examples of realistic combat? The standard enemies look to go down pretty quickly similar to the previous 2 years

Finally heres some from the recent play sessions, yes going from e3 2013 to this there are obvious differences but nothing that hasnt been displayed in the intervening years, again did you honestly expect there to be zero mechanics changes in 3 years of development? Most normal enemies go down pretty quickly and again its the bosses that are the bullet sponges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Preordered on PSN, will cancel after BETA. Calendar reminder and all.

Ubi usually are good for discounting games over time so I'll likely wait a bit for the game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Delighted the kill times aren't low, gives skill a chance to win out over " whoever is lucky enough to see the other player first wins".

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Delighted the kill times aren't low, gives skill a chance to win out over " whoever is lucky enough to see the other player first wins".

By "skill", I assume you mean your character's skills, and not your shooting ability...because that's what it looks like to me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

By "skill", I assume you mean your character's skills, and not your shooting ability...because that's what it looks like to me.

Shooting ability mainly, but I assume grenades and whatever else will come into it too. As long as someone has a chance to turn the tables when you get the drop on them I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

To be honest, if it was one shot kills with most weapons it would put me off this game massively from a PvP point of view. I am not a fan of competitive multiplayer games (because my reactions and twitch accuracy are almost non-existent, meaning I suck at PvP) and i've never played a game like DayZ, for example, because i reckon i would spend 99% of the time dead or just about to be.

I would actually prefer to avoid PvP for the most part, but from what I am reading lately you need to expose yourself to it in this game. I'll hopefully get used to it to some degree as I have done in Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If two people with the same character abilities and level/rank meet the guy with the superior gun skill and player control should win 8/9 times out of 10.

It shouldn't be a case that if I see you first you should die before you can even react.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For the likes of DayZ and all other survival games not getting seen first is part of the skill.

The idiot sprinting about in the open deserves to killed.

Varik wrote: »
    For the likes of DayZ and all other survival games not getting seen first is part of the skill.

The idiot sprinting about in the open deserves to killed.

Absolutely, but survival games aren't supposed to be competitive really, there's no winning only staying alive. From what I've seen of this it isn't really a survival game.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Absolutely, but survival games aren't supposed to be competitive really, there's no winning only staying alive. From what I've seen of this it isn't really a survival game.

It is in the dead zone by the sounds of it. If you want the best loot which is only available in there you have to make it out alive and when you call for an extraction your basically sending out a ping to everyone near by thats "come and get me" likely people will begin setting up defenses prior to extracting to counteract this stuff so it will get quite tactical

• Advertisement

Eh, maybe I'm giving out about the time-to-kill too much. I'll probably buy it anyway and decide afterwards if I like it or not. At the moment, for me it just seems to completely take away from the realism. I get that it's a regular RPG element, but in a regular RPG, you're not shooting humans, so the long TTK makes sense.

Advertisement