Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Clancy's The Division

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Forgive me if this has been asked before but I picked this up over the weekend and have just arrived in Manhattan. But there seems to be nothing interesting happening in the game ?Am I missing something ? It just seems to me like it's a modern version of the classic "Freedom Fighters" but without the story to back it up ?
    I'll admit the city is beautiful (Reminds me of Neither actually) and effects very cool but it just seems soulless to me ? Should I give it another chance of if I don't like it now am I likely to like it more later ?

Don't you get a mission to go to the Base of Operations and speak to Fae or some folk there? You should get more missions from there iirc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

first stop is to go to the base of operations, that should open up a bunch of missions for you. teh city is split into a bunch of zones. each zone has a safe house, you need to visit it, talk to the office there and look at the situation board, that will then give you the missions and activities for that zone.

and apologies if you've already found it, but clicking on the view button brings up the map. once you have visited the boo/safehouse go to the map, click on a mission and it will guide you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

mossym wrote: »
    first stop is to go to the base of operations, that should open up a bunch of missions for you. teh city is split into a bunch of zones. each zone has a safe house, you need to visit it, talk to the office there and look at the situation board, that will then give you the missions and activities for that zone.

and apologies if you've already found it, but clicking on the view button brings up the map. once you have visited the boo/safehouse go to the map, click on a mission and it will guide you to it.

thanks I see these missions but they all seem very samey samey, go to A shoot people and collect this/ turn that on / rescue someone. But it just seems very boring. Are there significant story branches or something that will draw me in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

thanks I see these missions but they all seem very samey samey, go to A shoot people and collect this/ turn that on / rescue someone. But it just seems very boring. Are there significant story branches or something that will draw me in ?

Not really tbh. It's pretty linear like that

The main story missions are decent but even they are very samey

It's much better craic if you play with others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Not really tbh. It's pretty linear like that

The main story missions are decent but even they are very samey

It's much better craic if you play with others

Cool thanks for the reply. Think i'll trade in CEX while the money is good (they are offering 43 euro for it) :D

• Advertisement

cheers for the detailed reply yesterday. ran the missions last night, the two hards then did 3 run throughs on lexington. got my third striker piece, so now have 3 of those and a nomad piece. the nomad piece is chest armor, i have a warlord gold that gives me a huge bump in dps(20k+) but savages my health so leave the nomad on and health at 68k with decent armor.

had a look at my stats and noticed i had decent bonus on AR hits, which explains why my level 163 AK47 tends to mow down opponents, but nothing for SMG which explains why my 192 vector didn't seem as strong, so rolled the attributes on my new striker bit, got rid of pistol bonus and got a nice bonus on smg. never got a chance to try it out, but the nights messing around got my dps up over 30k, now at almost 150k, and i know a few things to change to improve that a bit more .

won't be collecting as many phoenix tonight though, watergate is both a hard and the challenging today so that will prevent multiple runs at challenging.

annoying thing though. my nomad piece has +85% scavenging, couple other pieces add scavenging as well. i know the opinion on reddit that the first digit means nothing so 123% is only 23%. but saying all that, i've run lincoln and lexington roughly 10 or so times in the last 2 days. both bosses supposedly can drop a green, but I've not gotten one in any of the 10 missions. none of the randoms i was playing with, many of whom i was chatting with, got a green either. that's some awfully low odds.

really need to give the incursion a go.

I had heard on a YT video (can't remember who's now) that Scavenging stat doesn't make any difference but not sure how you can tell tbh. Not heard about the above - if I have 92% scavenging then that means I only have 2%? That can't be true surely. I've had 2 green drops from Lincoln challenging, one drop from the DZ and the other two bought from BoO.

Think I'm in the same boat as yourself with the number of greens I have - 3 strikers and 1 Nomad chest. Need to mess about with them to see if they are properly worthwhile wearing, maybe I can re-calibrate some stats.

Check this out, with my extended mag unequiped my dps drops from 217k to 140k! Other gear stats having an impact too I guess. If I was to swap it with the one below, crit dmg instead of rate of fire it drops to 199k. So that rate of fire for smg's at least seems very important.

5DWWsu8.png

Spear wrote: »
    Since it wasn't mentioned yet, don't use any equipment with a "protection from elites" stat. It doesn't do at all. Instead it does the reverse and boosts elite damage against you. Massive have acknowledged this, but only on a Twitch stream.

Hadn't heard that. Hopefully it's on their fix list. :D

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I had heard on a YT video (can't remember who's now) that Scavenging stat doesn't make any difference but not sure how you can tell tbh. Not heard about the above - if I have 92% scavenging then that means I only have 2%? That can't be true surely. I've had 2 green drops from Lincoln challenging, one drop from the DZ and the other two bought from BoO.

Think I'm in the same boat as yourself with the number of greens I have - 3 strikers and 1 Nomad chest. Need to mess about with them to see if they are properly worthwhile wearing, maybe I can re-calibrate some stats.

Check this out, with my extended mag unequiped my dps drops from 217k to 140k! Other gear stats having an impact too I guess. If I was to swap it with the one below, crit dmg instead of rate of fire it drops to 199k. So that rate of fire for smg's at least seems very important.

sorry, on the scavenging, what has been posted on redit is that once you go over 100 the first digit doesn't count, so basically 92, 192, and 292 are all the same .there has been no proof of that though. but most people are saying there is no descernible difference on scavenging .and upposedly leaked code shows that scavenging only increased the chances of turning low greens into blues/purples. it won't do anything for golds into gear set items. it's all rumour though, nothing fact, but i'm rolling my scavenger stats tonight to get something useful

that is crazy on the mag. luckily i bought the mag blueprint so looks like i'll be crafting some new mags tonight till i get increased rate of fire.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hadn't heard that. Hopefully it's on their fix list. :D

They said it would be fixed very soon, but nothing solid details wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

As a guy who's had high scavenging since very early on, it does indeed make a difference to drop quantity.

But at this late stage in the game the only stuff even remotely worth looking at are boss drops, which are a certainty. So scavenging is worthless IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

If theres an issue with the protection from elites stat. Would there also be an issue with the damage to elites state?

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    They said it would be fixed very soon, but nothing solid details wise.

it is absolutely crazy that something like that isn't a simple fix that can be patched almost immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It depends. RoF is one of the most direct damage factors, it's a simple multiplier of all the other per-bullet damage characteristics so on the surface it's the most real-world dependable DPS boosters, vs. say that Crit Chance which obviously is variable. BUT, and this really effects SMGs imho, it can be counter productive if you have a low magazine size. Yes you will do more damage in a shorter time with High RoF, but you will be reloading more often and burning through ammo faster. Where as with the % crit you will do more damage per bullet, potentially reducing reloads and ammo use. It's a question of balance really. I will take high RoF with a large magazine size only, won't pair it with anything else. I leave Crit for the other components.

good point. might try a high ROF for my ak47, think it's 68 in the mag so less of a worry than my vector

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

how is it an exploit? don't the guys just follow you down and end up in the main area outside the tunnel anway? it's just reaching cover

Feel free to give me an add Mossy. GT: Kirk the dog.

The Lincoln Tunnel is definitely the easiest of CM's to run. Run down the side, shoot everyone from cover while running a healing mod station, smart cover/Pulse and you will eventually clear that longest section in the car park.

Run to the orange barrier and defend from that point and keep the last guy alive. Then defend from the roof the first two/three waves and finish the boss off.

Can be done relatively quickly if you are with a decent group.= Easy credits.

Another good tip in general for The Division is to get your Armor mitigation to 65%. I was running with 82k Health and 150k DPS. Read a bit on reddit about Armor and dropped my health to 66k but capped my Armor defense. Big difference in my survivability with this.

The incursion on Hard is tough but again, with a decent group, if you defend from the pit and run survival link for the bomb drop its not too bad. Also treat planting the bomb as a suicide mission for one member of the team. You automatically respawn each time the APC tank receives damage.

for sure. lincoln and lexington are pretty straight forward with a team that knows the drill. lexington probably easier if anything

will add you now. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lincoln is now the easiest mission on challenge for most groups.

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    It depends. RoF is one of the most direct damage factors, it's a simple multiplier of all the other per-bullet damage characteristics so on the surface it's the most real-world dependable DPS boosters, vs. say that Crit Chance which obviously is variable. BUT, and this really effects SMGs imho, it can be counter productive if you have a low magazine size. Yes you will do more damage in a shorter time with High RoF, but you will be reloading more often and burning through ammo faster. Where as with the % crit you will do more damage per bullet, potentially reducing reloads and ammo use. It's a question of balance really. I will take high RoF with a large magazine size only, won't pair it with anything else. I leave Crit for the other components.

Interesting stuff. Yeah I always knew there was a trade off with RoF that I'd be burning through a mag quicker but the difference in DPS without it was too big not to use it imo. I must equip that mag onto my AK and see what effect it has.

On the highlighted part above - do you mean % crit dmg applies to every bullet? I thought it only applied to a critical hit?

So having a decent overall crit chance + crit dmg works well together but crit dmg on it's own doesn't have as big an influence?

Game does a piss poor attempt at explaining these things imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I definitely wasn't saying not to use RoF, I do on everything bar my Marksman rifle, just to make sure and pair it with a 2nd buff that helps with the ammo burn (extended being the most obvious). So if you have Crit and RoF on one item it would sound great but I think you'd run into issues.

When talking about crit damage I think of it as averaging out per-bullet, but yes you're right in it only applies to bullets that get the magic crit roll. I don't really think in terms of say +50% damage on a 50% chance, I aggregate mentally so it's likely boosting my damage by about 25% per-bullet - ingame DPS calcs be-damned :). Which also means 20% (25 as a % of 125 aggregate) less ammo spent for the same damage, so if I had to I'd balance that off against lower mag sizes/RoF etc. when working the build.

I still think folks focus too much on the ingame DPS counter. Other buffs such as skill haste are very useful, and include those that directly affect DPS like Pulse+Crit, but I don't think are factored into that calculation. But then seeing how we know they handle the calculations for Elite protection and likely Scavenging it's hard to know how they are doing it. All the more reason to mentally calculate it out yourself, then of course test.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Time periods? LMAO, that has to be a piss take.

Although it'd be interesting to see what the US Government's JTF got up to in Renaissance Italy

Rikers vs Vikings?

Colonel Bliss origin story featuring Genghis Khan?

They might be on to something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

That reads like they want the game to take place as a sort of alternate Assassins Creed universe. Aaron Keener & co are the Templars. While JTF are the Brotherhood.

You could base future expansions to tie in with major disease outbreaks. Black Death, 1918 Flu Pandemic, Smallpox during the 18th Century, the Measles wipeout of the Inca civilisation etc.

They could even do an ECHO within the current game where the recent swine flu outbreak was a failed attempt.

logged on last night to do the dailies. had never done either of the hard missions on hard, nor the power plant on challenging, so figured this was a good chance. thought i'd get through them and do a couple of runs on lexington . two hards were fine. matchmaked for the challenging. get on a team where i have the highest gearscore, which is not a good sign

what ensued was one of the best hours i've played in the game. power station on challenging is brutal, even more so on your first run through. but we slogged, and i mean slogged our way through it. all of us down multiple times. loads of revives. we released the main pressure valve with 5 seconds left on the timer after a last minute charge to clear the opposition as we realised how bad the time was getting. the boss with the two big guys ended up with two of the team dead and the other two of us taking the three on on our own as couldn't get to them. struggling to think of time put into the xbox i've enjoyed more in a long long time

took me 3 hours to sleep after it, was on the edge of my seat the whole time. was such a slog i was up much later than i planned without even once getting to run lexington.

the only crazy bit was one of the dead guys left the group when the other two of us only had the boss left to kill and he was down to half health. after spending an hour or more slogging through with us, he left 30 seconds before we got the phoenix credits.

Not sure about different time periods. Let's just get the current game fixed, introduce proper raids, open up more of Manhattan and move on to other cities.
    logged on last night to do the dailies. had never done either of the hard missions on hard, nor the power plant on challenging, so figured this was a good chance. thought i'd get through them and do a couple of runs on lexington . two hards were fine. matchmaked for the challenging. get on a team where i have the highest gearscore, which is not a good sign

what ensued was one of the best hours i've played in the game. power station on challenging is brutal, even more so on your first run through. but we slogged, and i mean slogged our way through it. all of us down multiple times. loads of revives. we released the main pressure valve with 5 seconds left on the timer after a last minute charge to clear the opposition as we realised how bad the time was getting. the boss with the two big guys ended up with two of the team dead and the other two of us taking the three on on our own as couldn't get to them. struggling to think of time put into the xbox i've enjoyed more in a long long time

took me 3 hours to sleep after it, was on the edge of my seat the whole time. was such a slog i was up much later than i planned without even once getting to run lexington.

the only crazy bit was one of the dead guys left the group when the other two of us only had the boss left to kill and he was down to half health. after spending an hour or more slogging through with us, he left 30 seconds before we got the phoenix credits.

Encounters like that are great. That section with the valve timers can be pretty tough alright, gotta kill those shotgunners fast. I got lucky with the matchmaking on that mission last night, we got through it fairly handy with only the odd death, everyone knew where the waves come from and were obviously decently geared. Although when we got to the final boss room I got stuck in the floor while in cover - the game spawned me back at a safehouse so took a few minutes to get back in the fight. So annoying.

Meddled with the gear last night putting on a second Striker item, dropped the dps down to 190k but that +20 Enemy Armour Damage bonus is nice, you can tell the difference when fighting elites. Also increased my own armour to 50%.

I also couldn't wear another gear set item because of that Protection From Elites bug - I had already re-calibrated another stat on it so couldn't get rid of the Protection stat. What a ****ty way to find out about it - from their community manager on a Twitch stream. Actually correction - from reddit users, confirmed true by that community chap.

Slowly soloing the DZ to rank up, only lvl 42 at the minute. That 7.5k daily exp bonus helps though.

I started the power plant last night on challenging, joined last and the others had started it. Got a group of Americans. I was caught out by a shotgunner early and all I could hear was the guy closest to me asking his mate should he revive me. Quit that fecking group immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Is there anywhere to buy a blueprint for a Striker or Sentry chest piece? I have a tactician one but its not great.

Oh btw, I switched my primary and secondary by accident last night and my the DPS on both went up by 25k. Even when I switched them back it stayed high.

sorry to anyone that added me, just realised i was set to appear offline all week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Is there any chance anyone would have a good vid on the ins and outs of recalibration, or a good one on how to improve my build (not too concerned about skill score at the minute). I've a decent one at the mo, but kept getting slaughtered by a couple of rogues last night in the DZ - so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just got 4 pieces of Tacticians gear set on my alt char last night, my jesus its amazing the difference it makes. Went in to the incursion with a team and every 22 sec I have a pulse that deals 89% critical hits for the team. Melting every single thing in site.....so so easy.

I dont even have the char setup right...gonna really tweak and set it up right and load up proper weapons. I have a 204 GS Vector in stash I will give him and use all cooldown talents and see whats what.

But it is highly recommended especially in a team enviroment. Id say its doing more damage then my main char with the 4 striker and 2 sentry armour equipped with 250DPS and 120HP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Is there any chance anyone would have a good vid on the ins and outs of recalibration, or a good one on how to improve my build (not too concerned about skill score at the minute). I've a decent one at the mo, but kept getting slaughtered by a couple of rogues last night in the DZ - so annoying.

Frankie I be online in 20mins when its back up hit me up in party chat and we have a yap while doing the daily, I tell you what I know if it helps ya mate.

Advertisement