Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Wouldn't think so, its t&g cladding for indoor use, very cheap softwood, would not last five minutes outside. You need to get some pressure treated timber a bit thicker than that. Even then you would be advised to put wood preservative on it, especially the end grain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cena wrote: »

Forget about it.

Goodwins Builders Providers.

Buy a few lengths of PT 6 x 1 inch wood or some PT cladding is 8 euro 50 cents for a 16 foot length.

http://www.goodwins.ie/p-818-shiplap-cladding-board-treated-ridged-150mm-x-22mm-48m.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I need to put a new gate on my concrete shed. would you recomend this PT Cladding? what anout one side which will have a veneer?

A few lengths of Cedarwood or Cedarwood cladding and some Owatrol Oil would make a nice gate that will last for many a year.

Or even some larchwood.

If you burn the surface of the larch with a blowtorch and then spray some mist/water over it,then you get a beautifull dark/black colour on the surface.

This is the larchwoods natural oil comming to the surface and it creates a dark/blackish weathertight seal on the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We're having to replace our gate this week and it's been a nightmare trying to find one. Our old one is very heavy metal but we've not been able to remount it, it's just too heavy and pulls itself out from the wall. We weren't able to find a metal one so it's going to have to be a wooden one from B&Q. I think at this stage Mr P is on the verge of a nervous breakdown in his war with the gate:D

• Advertisement

We're having to replace our gate this week and it's been a nightmare trying to find one. Our old one is very heavy metal but we've not been able to remount it, it's just too heavy and pulls itself out from the wall. We weren't able to find a metal one so it's going to have to be a wooden one from B&Q. I think at this stage Mr P is on the verge of a nervous breakdown in his war with the gate:D

A welder/gate maker would whip you up a lightweight metal gate in no time at all.

Bit of 1-5 inch square box steel to make a frame.

Sliding pad bolt/lock on the inside of the gate

Some sheet metal pop rivoted or welded onto each side.

Then have it galvanized/dipped.

OR

A nice coat of metal paint......what ever colour you want.

Then fix the gate to the wall with some large anchor bolts.

Voila....

A weather resistent and ligthweight gate,that wont pull itself back off the wall.:)

I can PM you the number of a gate maker who we used to make our gates and a steel door...he was very well priced and did a fantastic job too.
    He also makes beautifull cedarwood cladded/metal framed driveway gates and side doors too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would suggest the expert commentators become familiar with TG&V boarding and its common application in the construction of gates. Pressure treated T&G would be better but ordinary if regularly painted etc would last several years.

Sheeted hardwood is a more expensive durable alternative. Cedar cladding is not only very expensive timber, it would also require a substantive cedar framework to be suitable.

You can of course make a crude metal frame ands put timber boards in between or get the local metal basher to knock up a crude industrial style gate, spend more on galvanizing and you can then rightly wear the clown's hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

Thread of the day:eek:.......Have you still not built these gates..!!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Camrat wrote: »
    Thread of the day:eek:.......Have you still not built these gates..!!!:)

waiting for the brother to do it for me.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Thanks and Regards.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

Any luck yet! you have to put up a picture of them when there finished. ;)

Advertisement