Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow Way run from Marlay to Roundwood - July 6th.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I think a 12am departure from Marlay looks good if we're taking St. Kevin's Bus back to Dublin . It gives us 5 hours to run to Roundwood (generous enough) and an hour to chill there before the bus arrives at 6pm.

I'm running from Curtlestown so will probably aim to be there at least 1hr15min after your scheduled departure from Marlay. I'm happy enough to bring snacks and some water with me to Curtlestown so you don't need to carry much for the first 15km ...

EDIT: If we go with Sideswipe's option of €10-a-head taxi back to Marlay (St. Kevin's Bus only €1 cheaper and brings you nowhere close to Marlay), then we can start much earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I'm leaving home at 06:00, have 2 travelling with me so not sure if an earlier start will cause problems this end.
    10 would suit me, I'd prefer not to have a later start as my missus will kill me if I'm back really late, but if there is appetite or consensus I can see about changing plans. (AND I believe SOME people were going to warm up by doing the parkrun :rolleyes: )
    Food wise I propose a detour to JF's for a big bowl of mussels :D
    OR, jaffa cakes and chocolate washed down with salted cordial....num-num
    Will there be tea and brack available in Roundwood? You know us bumpkins love a good brack and some tea, last I heard it was all fancy Italian coffee up there :D
    The bus back, I'm sitting down the back (if the cool kids allow me). Are we regrouping in Roundwood, no one get left out, no one gets left behind, or is it everyone for themselves?
    Terrain wise, It's years since I was up that way but from memory it is mostly cleared / groomed surface, isn't it? no major boulder fields to jump around :( Going to go with my light trail shoes (if they ever dry out after Kerry)
    So basically, so long as I know by Thursday I can chop and change a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So, I think 10am is probably the most suitable start time for all involved - happy compromise?
    Note: we will be starting at the official WW start point in Marlay Park beside the car park at the Grange Road (Northern) end. (The map on page one of this thread has the run starting much later in Kilmashogue car park.)
    The weekly Parkrun will still be going on (starts @ 9:30am) so I'll be wearing a bright orange Rotterdam T-Shirt for anyone that doesn't know others doing our run. Plus, I expect we'll be the only ones with camelbaks!!

Once we leave Marlay Park we won't be passing shops, civilisation, etc until we hit Roundwood so best bring supplies.
    Personally speaking I'll bring a 500ml water cannister for myself and a few sweets/bars. I'll be refilling from the water Micilin Muc will kindly be offering around at Curtlestown. That should do me but others might want to bring a little more for themselves if unsure.
    If the weather is anything as nice as expected then I'll be running in an old pair of Asics Kayanos. There shouldn't be much mucky/wet trail about.

Depending on how people feel towards the end of the run I'd be on for extending it by the required distance to get to full marathon length. Perhaps we could even look to go on to Laragh instead and finish there. We can play this by ear on the day.
    I think the €10 per head taxi return journey is the best option for us. It is an 8 seater though and I think some (crazy) people out there are considering running home so we may need to confirm those that need a lift back. If people are open to the idea of continuing to Laragh I'd be pretty sure the taxi would be ok with this.

Any other questions??

Name|Definite|Maybe|Taxi?
    Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite||
    Micilín Muc|Definite||
    career_move|Definite||
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    PaulieYifter|Definitely...|...Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

belcarra wrote: »
    Any other questions??
    Is the parking at Marley a:present b:secure(ish) c:pay 'n' display or free
    :o
    Oh, and thanks for pulling all of this together.

b.harte wrote: »
    Is the parking at Marley a:present b:secure(ish) c:pay 'n' display or free
    :o
    Oh, and thanks for pulling all of this together.

I wouldn't be overly familiar with the area regards safety but I'd guess that it'd be fine. However, due to the Parkrun being on at that time parking could be at a premium so might be a good idea to arrive a few mins early and have the option of parking in a housing estate, etc. if unsure about the safety of the park.

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite||
    Micilín Muc|Definite||Yes
    career_move|Definite||
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    career_move|Definite||
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

In for taxi - I've never had any car issues at Marley Park by the way, it's one of Dublin's safer parks I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite||
    career_move|Definite||
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    PaulieYifter|Definite||Yes
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

Taxi please.
    Looking forward to this now.

Mrs Yifter asked me where the "race" on Saturday was on and what distance.
    Eh it's not a race and basically I'm running a marathon in the mountains :o

Response was :confused: then :mad: then :rolleyes:

Thanks Belcarra for organising this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite||
    career_move|Definite||
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

Up for the taxi too, let me know belcarra if ya need any assistance to organise.

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    career_move|Definite||
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

Ahhh I see Blocky.....that's better

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    Don't be kicking me out of the taxi already lads!

Remove the QUOTE tags so! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

b.harte, parking is present. Make sure to park in the Grange Road car park, which is the main park, beside the Marlay house (if you do a search on Google Maps for Marlay Park, it's the pin B.) That's where the start of the Wicklow way is. Parking is free and it's busy enough that it's also safe to leave your car there all day.
    I must admit, despite the fact that I'll be in Florida when it's on, I'm well jel that I can't make this. It's a fantastic run, hope you all have a great day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    career_move|Definite||Yes
    b.harte|Definite||
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

I'm in for the taxi. I wouldn't mind extending the run as long as the legs are feeling ok but there isn't a hope in J$sus of me running a 5k race before we start :eek: I'm going to bring a water belt which holds about 24oz maybe some chewy sweets and a tracker bar. Won't be able to fit too much more cause I want to bring my phone as well but I think that should be ok. Can't wait :D

+3 southerners for taxi back as well. On phone so can't edit table without messing it u1010101010101010&&%)+*'74p :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

PaulieC wrote: »
    b.harte, parking is present. Make sure to park in the Grange Road car park, which is the main park, beside the Marlay house (if you do a search on Google Maps for Marlay Park, it's the pin B.) That's where the start of the Wicklow way is. Parking is free and it's busy enough that it's also safe to leave your car there all day.

With both the Park Run and the market being on, as well as the weekend rumoured to being a good one, that car park can fill up pretty quick. If that's the case then the back car park, the one you access via College Road, is a lot bigger and easier to get parking in if you get nothing in the Grange Road one.

I'm getting envious.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    With both the Park Run and the market being on, as well as the weekend rumoured to being a good one, that car park can fill up pretty quick. If that's the case then the back car park, the one you access via College Road, is a lot bigger and easier to get parking in if you get nothing in the Grange Road one.

I'm getting envious.

Also, there's a big Lidl carpark down the road from the Grange Road carpark - a 5-minute walk from the start of the Wicklow Way.

Edit: Lidl, not Aldi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||Yes
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    b.harte|Definite||Yesx3
    Vader MLK||Maybe|
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    nerraw||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

Think we're gonna need a bus:pac:

10am fine for me too, didn't realize people were traveling for so far for this, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Also, there's a big Aldi carpark down the road from the Grange Road carpark - a 5-minute walk from the start of the Wicklow Way.

I think you mean Lidl!

@ Belcarra, did you get PM'd contact details for the guy with the mini bus from earlier in the thread?

We're up to 10 for the 9 seater bus already! I have a number for another guy who can take another 4/5 I think. I suppose we'll wait till Thursday to nail down the final numbers?

• Advertisement

if we are over capacity by 1 person I've no problem doing my loop back plan.

sideswipe wrote: »
    @ Belcarra, did you get PM'd contact details for the guy with the mini bus from earlier in the thread?

We're up to 10 for the 9 seater bus already! I have a number for another guy who can take another 4/5 I think. I suppose we'll wait till Thursday to nail down the final numbers?

I was on to the taxi guy a couple of weeks ago. The max he can take is 8 but I will see if he has any options for 10 people seeing as numbers are firming up.
    I'll check if there is an option to do two runs of 5+ people. If so, there could be an option for those that want to finish at Roundwood to return first and those that continue to Laragh (9km later) to get the second lift back?
    Leave it with me and I'll have a response by tomorrow hopefully.

Right, I got this response back from the taximan:
    Its a 50 mile round trip from Marley Park to Roundwood. If you guys decide to head onto Laragh, I am looking a doing a 100 miles plus on the day.. You would be looking at 16 euro a head.

This allows for maximum flexibility with two trips back to Marlay and up to 16 people. The likelihood is that there might be a gang returning from Roundwood for the first trip and from Laragh for the second trip. The total cost will be split evenly regardless of where you return from and is (as stated) €16. The increase from €10 per head results from the flexibility of him doing two runs (@ less efficiency per run) and the extra distance to Laragh.

So, what are peoples thoughts on this? Will I confirm acceptance with him?
    If anyone has any issues with this any alternatives available?
    Personally, i'm happy enough to go with this option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Its a 50 mile round trip from Marley Park to Roundwood. If you guys decide to head onto Laragh, I am looking a doing a 100 miles plus on the day.. You would be looking at 16 euro a head.

This allows for maximum flexibility with two trips back to Marlay and up to 16 people. The likelihood is that there might be a gang returning from Roundwood for the first trip and from Laragh for the second trip. The total cost will be split evenly regardless of where you return from and is (as stated) €16. The increase from €10 per head results from the flexibility of him doing two runs (@ less efficiency per run) and the extra distance to Laragh.

Me too. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Fair play on organising all this. Alas, I'm
    injured so can't make it. Weather forecast is looking good too.

Yep, I'm ok with that. Although I'll have to see how I'm feeling to see which bus I hop on!

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Yep, I'm ok with that. Although I'll have to see how I'm feeling to see which bus I hop on!

Bus?? I have the ambo arranged for you J!

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    b.harte|Definite x3||
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    jeffontour||Maybe|
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

Just removed Vader MLK and Nerraw from the list.

Thanks Belcarra - that's good for me too.
    Managed to get through my first IMRA race last night and got a nice gash on the leg as a result of enjoying the views instead of watching my step but thankfully still ok for Saturday.

Bus?? I have the ambo arranged for you J!

Nice one! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    b.harte|Definite x3||
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    jeffontour|Definite||No
    KielyU||Maybe||
    mithril||Maybe||

I'll head off with everyone at ten but will turn around and run back at some point depending on how I feel on the day.

• Advertisement

Yes x 3

Thanks again

Right, I think that's a sufficient amount of feedback to confirm the taxi.
    We will need to call him about 30-40 mins in advance of our gang's arrival in Roundwood to make sure he is there on time. Just something to bear in mind in case I forget!

Sounds great, fair play Belcarra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

sideswipe wrote: »
    Sounds great, fair play Belcarra.
    Looks ideal. Thanks Belcarra for organizing it.
    I am definite now unless I pick up a last minute injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    b.harte|Definite x3||
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    jeffontour|Definite||No
    KielyU|Definite|||Yes
    mithril||Maybe||

I'm committing myself. I'm in for the taxi too if it's being organised.

Belcarra|Definite||Yes
    Blockic|Definite||Yes
    Sideswipe|Definite||
    Statss|Definite|| Yes
    b.harte|Definite x3||Yes x 3
    Drquirky||Maybe|
    jeffontour|Definite||No
    KielyU|Definite|||Yes
    mithril||Maybe||

Just adding myself to table.
    Looking forward to this.

bring sunscreen lads its gonna be a scorcher

I should have mentioned, I can bring some supplies with me to Curtlestown for you to consume/dispose of! A 5-litre bottle of water could replenish one or two Camelbaks!

Think there may be a good few of us taking you up on the water offer Micilin! Thanks in advance!

Really looking forward to it now, need to get plenty sleep tonight though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good luck and have fun guys. Looks like ye've lucked out with the weather!

Enduro wrote: »
    Good luck and have fun guys. Looks like ye've lucked out with the weather!

All in the planning!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

statss wrote: »
    bring sunscreen lads its gonna be a scorcher
    and fly go-away cream,i was eaten alive on wednesday.........and for the trail virgins...jax roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultraman1 wrote: »
    and fly go-away cream,i was eaten alive on wednesday.........and for the trail virgins...jax roll

Can you not use dock leaves instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Midges can’t go faster than about walking speed. Which is useful when someone claims to have ran all the hills but is covered in bites ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Midges can’t go faster than about walking speed. Which is useful when someone claims to have ran all the hills but is covered in bits ;)
    dats why i said bring jax roll:eek:..... and dey seemed to like my sambos

dats why i said bring jax roll:eek:..... and dey seemed to like my sambos

Begs the question what was the filling??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

and dey seemed to like my sambos

Eatin' is cheatin'.

This is a map of the route for those unfamiliar with the Wicklow Way.
    Roundwood is approximately 24 miles and Laragh 29 miles.
    See y'all at the start point at 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Luckily I won't be tagging along so, I don't understand this miles business, my pacing will be all over the place.

Bag feels heavy now:

2L bladder of water
    2x500ml bottles of Powerade
    Bars & Gels
    Compeed
    Sun cream
    Insect Repellent
    Toilet Paper
    Fresh t-shirt/shorts/socks/(runners)
    Money
    Keys

Think I can leave the rain jacket at home.

Am I missing anything?

• Advertisement

Bag feels heavy now:

2L bladder of water
    2x500ml bottles of Powerade
    Bars & Gels
    Compeed
    Sun cream
    Insect Repellent
    Toilet Paper
    Fresh t-shirt/shorts/socks/(runners)
    Money
    Keys

Think I can leave the rain jacket at home.

Am I missing anything?

Spare runners would add quite a bit of weight? Think I'll leave mine welded to my feet till I get home.
    Am I missing anything?

Sunglasses? Even if you don't normally wear them they might be handy with the amount of flies around at the moment. Had to stop 4 times to fish little feckers out of my eyes on a run earlier.

See ye all tomorrow folks.

Advertisement