Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent €900 for house - rooms all the same price?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So a friend of mine is moving in with 3 other lads (all friends), the rent is 900 so that's 225 a month each, nearly 56 a week each - all are going to be paying equal amounts.

However there are two very large rooms upstairs - one with an en suite. Then there are two smaller rooms downstairs - across from the kitchen and sitting room I might add.

Now the house is lovely and each room, even the smaller one's, are very nice.

But, I said no way would I pay the same rent as the guys upstairs who are away from the sitting room and kitchen, with an en suite and bigger room(s).

He didn't think of it at the start, and he is wondering should he say something now before they go in, it will obviously cause an argument.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

they are friends. who whats to pay more for bigger rooms etc .. ans yes how much. who ever wants to pay most gets it. if no one does. names out of a hat . next arguements over electrical bills tv gas etc. happy sharing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

they are friends. who whats to pay more for bigger rooms etc .. ans yes how much. who ever wants to pay most gets it. if no one does. names out of a hat . next arguements over electrical bills tv gas etc. happy sharing!!

Lol. Very true.. I should let them on, thankfully I'm not going in with them. But it did get me and the other guy going in that the two smaller rooms should not be as much rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

they are friends. who whats to pay more for bigger rooms

Who wants to pay the same for a smaller room, by the living area, with no ensuite facilities?

OP, it's totally up to your friend. If it bothers him he should say something before moving in. How did they decide who gets which room?

Personally I'm with you, there's no way I'd pay the same as the guy upstairs in the bigger room with the ensuite. Either stagger the rent depending on the quality of the rooms or draw names out of a hat.

For the record, I've lived in the room by the sitting room/kitchen and there's no way I'd do it again. Far too close to common areas for comfort.

LittleBook wrote: »
    Who wants to pay the same for a smaller room, by the living area, with no ensuite facilities?

OP, it's totally up to your friend. If it bothers him he should say something before moving in. How did they decide who gets which room?

Personally I'm with you, there's no way I'd pay the same as the guy upstairs in the bigger room with the ensuite. Either stagger the rent depending on the quality of the rooms or draw names out of a hat.

For the record, I've lived in the room by the sitting room/kitchen and there's no way I'd do it again. Far too close to common areas for comfort.

The guy who organised everything with getting the house etc got the one with the en suite, the guy who moved in next picked the next bigger room, the two rooms left were the smaller rooms downstairs.. to which the next guy picked the one at the front, and the one left this guy is stuck with.. I immediately told him he was mad to go into that room paying the same as the rest. Even the guy at the front room was mad I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So a friend of mine is moving in with 3 other lads (all friends), the rent is 900 so that's 225 a month each, nearly 56 a week each - all are going to be paying equal amounts.

However there are two very large rooms upstairs - one with an en suite. Then there are two smaller rooms downstairs - across from the kitchen and sitting room I might add.

Now the house is lovely and each room, even the smaller one's, are very nice.

But, I said no way would I pay the same rent as the guy upstairs away from the sitting room and kitchen, with an en suite and bigger room(s).

He didn't think of it at the start, and he is wondering should he say something now before they go in, it will obviously cause an argument.

Thoughts?

Person with the biggest room pays the most rent. If I've a box room and my housemate has the master bedroom, he should pay more.

• Advertisement

Scortho wrote: »
    Person with the biggest room pays the most rent. If I've a box room and my housemate has the master bedroom, he should pay more.

What way would you divide it up as a matter of interest.

4 bedrooms; Rent 900 per month.

- Largest: includes en-suite.
    - Second Largest.
    - Medium sized, downstairs.
    - Box room, downstairs.

What way would you divide it up as a matter of interest.

4 bedrooms; Rent 900 per month.

- Largest: includes en-suite. 260
    - Second Largest. 240
    - Medium sized, downstairs. 210
    - Box room, downstairs. 190

Maybe that.
    That's what I'd be starting with and the haggle it out until a price is met. But the person with the tiny box room shouldn't be paying the same as someone with the largest one.

Maybe that.
    That's what I'd be starting with and the haggle it out until a price is met. But the person with the tiny box room shouldn't be paying the same as someone with the largest one.

I fully agree. I shall be showing that friend who is starting to have doubts this thread before he does move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

If the lad upstairs En-Suite is over the box room he is in for some quality moments.

If the lad upstairs En-Suite is over the box room he is in for some quality moments.

.....why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

I had a similiar experience with 2 my best mates. We rented various places over 5-6 years together and paid same rent, regardless of size.

However what we did do was rotate the rooms per house, so in house 1, I got the big room, house 2, next biggest and so on

Alternativley, one of my mates lived with 2 other mates and they rotated the rooms every 4 months and paid same rent

Its up to each individual how to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No way I'd be paying the same as the guy in the master bedroom, especially seeing as the room is next to the kitchen and living room.

I live with 2 others atm, I have the box room and my rent is almost €200 cheaper than the middle room. I shudder to think what the master bedroom costs.

I fully agree. I shall be showing that friend who is starting to have doubts this thread before he does move in.

Also the person who has a partner etc should get first call on the doubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

The guy who organised everything with getting the house etc got the one with the en suite, the guy who moved in next picked the next bigger room, the two rooms left were the smaller rooms downstairs.. to which the next guy picked the one at the front, and the one left this guy is stuck with.. I immediately told him he was mad to go into that room paying the same as the rest. Even the guy at the front room was mad I think.

Sounds like he's getting the short end of the stick because he's last to the arrangement. I can see some logic to the situation but I wouldn't want to be the last one moving in.

When I was young and stupid I moved in with two others ... one guy first who held the lease, then a second guy then me who paid the rent to him. One night the second guy and myself stumbled across an invoice for the rent and we discovered that the first guy (who had the biggest room btw) wasn't actually paying any rent, the two of us were covering it! :pac:

So I guess at least they're being honest that they're shafting him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Also the person who has a partner etc should get first call on the doubles.

The reverse should be true to avoid partners effectively doubling up n the house.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The reverse should be true to avoid partners effectively doubling up n the house.

This is true and is a very good point that should always be considered with house shares.

However You can still have rules. Friends of mine have rented a house in this way. Those with partners get first choice on the double bedrooms however they've agreed that no ones partner can be live in.

Once or twice a week is fine. Anything more is taking the piss.

They've agreed that if it happens regularly, rent for the offending parties will be increases to compensate the other housemates.

Advertisement