Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every Day I'm Shufflin...

Options
  • 12-06-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

...and shuffle I do. See, I'm the SLOWEST runner perhaps in the known universe - I definitely can't really run, I mainly jog, and when I'm faced with a hill, it's a funny kind of gait that can only be described as a shuffle.

I've decided to start a wee training log here, just because, well, I think it will help me to keep up this running craic. I started the C25k at the end of March and finished at the start of May. When I started (no word of a lie) and the 3 minute jog was pure torment. TORMENT. I am a fairly successful person career wise, I play music and I've achieved a lot in my life. The jogging business is the HARDEST thing I've ever done (PhD studies, music career, everything else I at least had a natural aptitude for) - running doesn't come naturally to me and I'm really proud of myself for keeping it up.

But KRRRRRISSSHT I'm slow. I did my first ever 10k on Sunday at the Pink Ribbon Walk in Killaloe. My goal was to just run/jog/shuffle the whole thing - not to have to walk any of it. It was a very pretty jog, the views were stunning, but there was a few nasty steep hills (for me anyway), it was the first day of my period, I'd had a family occasion the night before and I'd less sleep than I'd have liked and it was ROASTING (astonishingly hot). Excuses, excuses but I managed to not walk once and while I finished in an abysmal 1hr 23mins, I FINISHED. Chatting to a neighbour afterwards who is a more experienced runner, she finished in 1hr 13mins, which she said was much slower than her usual 10k time. So I'm kind of hoping that my next 10k can be more of a 1 15 or even a 1 10. Here's hoping.

Anyway onwards and upwards. I've decided to try the Dublin half marathon at the end of September. This is largely because I LOVE having a challenge to plan for and I've discovered I love a long slow jog on a Sunday morning when the streets are quiet. I'm going to use Hal Higdon's Novice training plan and I'm going to start next week - I will repeat a few key weeks in the plan to bring me up to September. As I just finished my first 10k on Sunday, I'm going to just go out for a few easy jogs this week, maybe trying to push the speed a little to try to bring it up.

I don't know what I'm doing here and feel like a complete fraud, I'm a beginner and a crap one at that. But I'm fine and stubborn and I will jog that half in Dublin in September- mark my fecking words....

Today's run was a gentle 2 mile - spent two mins pushing the speed and two mins then at a relaxed pace and repeated that for the duration.

Wish me luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BobDylan

Good luck! Loving your attitude :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Bbrunnin

Hi well done ,when i started running felt the same and everyone on the roads passed me out but who cares .a good running friend told me just keep getting out on the road and it worked did my first half m in cork a few weeks ago and about to sign up for another .
    Best of luck with training

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cailleach an airgid

Oh the horrors! Pride comes before a fall... In my case the fall was over a kerb on Sunday morning, giving me a severe lateral ankle sprain and leaving me on crutches. Should be weight bearing a bit come Wednesday, but no running for a good while at least. Hoping to get out for some short walks in a fortnight, then building up slowly, do some deep water jogging and balance exercises in time and back to running a small bit in two months-ish?? As things stand that's the plan. I am an OT and share an office with 4 physios so I'm going to pull rank and make them tell me when I can restart!!

I am firstly bitterly disappointed to have to stop when it was just starting to be fun. Secondly I am mortified to be so clumsy, plus I told half the world about my half plans and now no go. New plan is to do the half in limerick next year.

Cross and sore and spectacularly ungainly on crutches (am navigating the stairs on my bum). I'll be back soon though ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Aw no, sorry to hear that.

Maybe think about booking and paying for that half in Limerick now. It will give you an extra incentive to get back to running as soon as you're healed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BobDylan

Really sorry to hear that. Maybe just maybe it will not be as bad as you think. Anyway, best of luck with your recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Bbrunnin

Hi dont let it get you down think of it as few relaxin weeks till your fully charged and ready for road !!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Love your honesty!!

I'm a lot like you, I like to acheive things and never let a challenge go once I take it on!

Good woman yourself, how do you eat an elephant?

1 bite at a time! Your half marathon will be the same, just keep on trucking!
    I'm sure you'll agree from your career, "something that comes too easy isn't
    worth having" and your race will be the same! The harder you have to work for
    it the sweeter the victory :-)

Keep up the good work, and the log!

Advertisement