Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Vehicles in a Residential Estate

Options
  • 12-06-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭

What are the laws (if any) surrounding the parking of commercial vehicles in residential estates?

We have a resident who parks a big JCB/tractor outside his house. It's unsightly, and frankly, it's dangerous (kids play around it and have been seen climbing the outside of it).

In addition to that, there is a pothole forming on the road near his house, which the tractor is definitely contributing to.

His argument (I'm sure) would be that he needs it for work, where else would he park it etc.

Before we talk to him (as a residents committee on behalf of the residents who have complained), I just want to see if we have anything (in law) to back us up in case it comes to that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the absence of a weight limit on the estate, I believe there is nothing in law that will prevent it. You can request the local council to put a limit (its usually 3 or 3.5 tonne) on a residential estate, the bulk of estates in Maynooth have them but then again the entire town has a 5T limit on through traffic in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,614 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it a residential state in the control of a management company? If not your only route is a weight restriction as MYOB mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

your getting commercial vehicles a bad name with your title.

your talking more agriculuture/industrial/ builder vehicles. <3 tonnes.

if you go to the MC looking for ban on commercial vehicles you'll be upseeting all your neighbours, who have focus vans, 206 vans, small caddy vans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

If estate is controlled by a management co then the lease probably states no commercial vehicles allowed. Check your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No MC in the estate. Looks like we're snookered, so. Thanks for the replies.

ted1: Good point, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mr E wrote: »
    What are the laws (if any) surrounding the parking of commercial vehicles in residential estates?

We have a resident who parks a big JCB/tractor outside his house. It's unsightly, and frankly, it's dangerous (kids play around it and have been seen climbing the outside of it).

In addition to that, there is a pothole forming on the road near his house, which the tractor is definitely contributing to.

His argument (I'm sure) would be that he needs it for work, where else would he park it etc.

Before we talk to him (as a residents committee on behalf of the residents who have complained), I just want to see if we have anything (in law) to back us up in case it comes to that.

So you havent even talked to him about it ? thats just being a bad neighbor . It being unsightly and unruly children climbing on it are also hardly reasons to get it gone . People should watch their children better , and its not infront of your house so leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We are going to talk to him (none of the residents committee really know him).
    I just want to know my options first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mr E wrote: »
    We are going to talk to him (none of the residents committee really know him).
    I just want to know my options first.

Ok that makes more sense, just too many people too trigger happy to call management companies / gards these days instead of just having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

So you havent even talked to him about it ? thats just being a bad neighbor . It being unsightly and unruly children climbing on it are also hardly reasons to get it gone . People should watch their children better , and its not infront of your house so leave it be.

You obviously dont have kids. if kids cant play on their own street there is somtging wrong. they are curious by nature and its up to adults to be aware of danger that they themselves might not see.You cant keep them locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sean O Hara

You obviously dont have kids. if kids cant play on their own street there is somtging wrong. they are curious by nature and its up to adults to be aware of danger that they themselves might not see.You cant keep them locked up.

Yeah but the man also needs to work.

I'm sure he will be delighted by a bunch of retired/unemployed/busybodies on the residents association telling him what to do.

If the op's kids are climbing on his property he should be the one complaining to them. What sort of tramp lets his children climb on other people’s vehicles?

Rgds,
    Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yeah but the man also needs to work.

I'm sure he will be delighted by a bunch of retired/unemployed/busybodies on the residents association telling him what to do.

If the op's kids are climbing on his property he should be the one complaining to them. What sort of tramp lets his children climb on other people’s vehicles?

its not a case of letting its a case of what kids do. How many times were you told to stop doing somthing when you were young and you kept doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Years ago we used to play with the brakes on articulated trailers that were regularly parked in our estate by a neighbour. I remember once we released the trailer brake and the whole truck started to roll gently down the hill it was parked on in the estate! another day the same man who was just a working person same as most others started to drive off and just stopped because he thought something was "not right", There was a child under the trailer almost under the wheels, He never parked in the estate after that!

Commercial vehicles whether they be trucks or vans should be banned completely from housing estates and residential streets and car-vans should not be parked in any residential area unless they fit fully within the owners driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

when i was a kid we ran over cars jumping from one the the next
    is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Years ago we used to play with the brakes on articulated trailers that were regularly parked in our estate by a neighbour. I remember once we released the trailer brake and the whole truck started to roll gently down the hill it was parked on in the estate! another day the same man who was just a working person same as most others started to drive off and just stopped because he thought something was "not right", There was a child under the trailer almost under the wheels, He never parked in the estate after that!

Commercial vehicles whether they be trucks or vans should be banned completely from housing estates and residential streets and car-vans should not be parked in any residential area unless they fit fully within the owners driveway.

Sorry that's just stupid, what's wrong with car vans? They are smaller than. Lot if SUV's

How does a car van differ than a company car?
    I really looking forward to you trying to justify this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I think Irish people problems with vans and most commercial vehicles is that the first thing that comes to mind is a certain minority of Irish people generally involved in trades and move around a lot. When they see a white van the first thing that comes to mind is those people.

Most vans has to be parked outside the owners house as there is a very high break in rate looking for tools and generally to rob the van as most dont have alarms. Although I dont think a digger should be in a residential area, its the person source of income and you have to understand that. I think if kids are playing on it, thats the parents problem by not telling their children to stay away from it.

Advertisement