Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huskies on De Northside...

• 12-06-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

The missus pointed it out to me several months back ... loads of people with husky dogs .. particularly in the Dublin 5 and 17 area. I know some of them (obviously not all) are unemployed. I'm not a dog lover by any means but am wondering how much it would cost to buy one and how come the husky breed has become so fashionable all of a sudden.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

They look likes wolves, apparently.

It's a particular fashion trend amongst a certain demographic. Previously it was pit bulls, yorkshire terriers, etc. etc.. Sadly, it will probably only result in that breed being vilified. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

The amount of them looking for new homes on the free ad sites is unbelievable!!
    Some people have them living in apartments and now realise as the dog has gotten bigger,that they have to get rid of the dog.I have a Jack Russell and there's no way she could live in an apartment,never mind a Husky!!

Huskys and Akitas are the new staffys, Also if you have noticed, reports of husky attacks have gone up due to this happening. Instead of restricted breeds, we should have restricted post codes.

Price wise i have seen them go for €150 where as 5 years ago, they were between 800 and 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Trends for certain breeds of dog is a well known fact. In the 80s it was Dobermanns,GSDs and Rottweilers, 90s/00s it was Boxers, Staffies etc now it's Huskys, Akitas etc. It can be due to them becoming profiled because of a movie eg. Hachi or them supposedly protraying a "hard man" image.

The problem is most people don't do any research whatsoever before getting these breeds and often don't source them through a proper breeder either. So, these dogs are bred non stop and can be bought cheaply until the fad wears off. Unfortunately by that time, the cute puppies are now monstrous, highly strung and inbred, leaving the pounds and rescues picking up the pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

So it's only a trend now up in the big smoke. When we got out lad nearly 2 years ago they were everywhere... And expensive.

Not so many on the roads now. Not too many willing to exercise them or contain them. As a fad, I hope it passes... Before they make the RB list. I know it will be at the expense of full pounds.

Hard man image, eh? They're known for being rubbish guard dogs and love strangers. Couldn't be further from the truth.

It really is a pity that dogs, not just huskies are bought on impulse and are filling pounds and done deal 12/18 months later. And no end to it in sight.

I found a kitten last Sunday, bout 4 weeks old, crying in the bushes at the front of my house. The job I had trying to move the little guy on. Pounds, rescues, welfare groups, etc... are just bursting at the seams.

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    It really is a pity that dogs, not just huskies are bought on impulse and are filling pounds and done deal 12/18 months later. And no end to it in sight.

There needs to be a blanket ban on breeding dogs for the next 15 years. Ireland as a whole dont make good owners of cats and dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hooked wrote: »
    Hard man image, eh? They're known for being rubbish guard dogs and love strangers. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I know that's what i mean about people not doing their research. It was the same with Staffies and some bull breeds. Loads of people got them on a whim for the so called "tough guy" image it was meant to portray. Sure staffies are total flippin sweethearts, so they've earned an undeserved reputation that is taking forever to rectify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Mike1961 wrote: »
    I know some of them (obviously not all) are unemployed.

Well my dog is what kept me going when I was unemployed last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Sorry tk123 - no offence. Not even sure why I put in that ref to unemployed. As you say a dog can be great company for many - just cos I ain't a dog-lover doesn't mean I don't appreciate how much they can mean to their owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Huskys and Akitas are the new staffys, Also if you have noticed, reports of husky attacks have gone up due to this happening. Instead of restricted breeds, we should have restricted post codes.

Price wise i have seen them go for €150 where as 5 years ago, they were between 800 and 1000.
    I was going to give you some thanks, but I decided not to as a responsible dog owner who would like a bully in future, and who is living in an undesirable postcode. Don't tar everyone with the same brush, thanks.
    tk123 wrote: »

Well my dog is what kept me going when I was unemployed last year....
    +1

If I hadn't had the girls to make me leave the house once a day I'd have gone totally potty.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I was going to give you some thanks, but I decided not to as a responsible dog owner who would like a bully in future, and who is living in an undesirable postcode. Don't tar everyone with the same brush, thanks.
    +1

I am in one of those areas filled with Staffys Huskys and Akita's. :D You shouldn't be so sensitive to a little tar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Mike1961 wrote: »
    The missus pointed it out to me several months back ... loads of people with husky dogs .. particularly in the Dublin 5 and 17 area. I know some of them (obviously not all) are unemployed.
    True, it's not easy for a dog to find a job in this day and age.

Marsden wrote: »

HAHA

Not much call for Sleigh pulling this weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Marsden wrote: »

I agree, sure the consruction sector is gone to the dogs...
    gonetodogs_zps0d982cc2.jpg

Advertisement