If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-Zone output with AirPlay

Options
  • 12-06-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a hifi for a kitchen that has the following:

AirPlay support
    At least two zones i.e. play radio to zone1 and airplay to zone2

cheers

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Villain wrote: »
    I'm looking for a hifi for a kitchen that has the following:

AirPlay support
    At least two zones i.e. play radio to zone1 and airplay to zone2

cheers

Hi Villain,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

I wouldn't really have much in a HiFi that would cover that.  Got a few AV receivers tho that would do the job :)  Only thing is they're quite big bulky boxes.

If this doesn't bother you then check out the Pioneer VXS 922 currently priced at £239.00.  This features Airplay, Zone 2 and also internet radio.  It would need to be connected into your network via an ethernet cable, home plugs or Pioneer's WiFi adapter.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx922/pion-vsx922-blk

Another option would be going down the Sonos route.  Bit more money but such a great system.  It allows multi room streaming so would be perfect.   You'd be starting of at £249.00 for a 1 room system (which also includes 6 months napster)  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/multi-room-components/pah011241

For the second zone you could add in another Sonos Play 3 at £249.00.  Or upgrade to the more superior Play 5 at £349.00:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/multi-room-components/sonos/play:5/sono-s5

Hope this gives you a good idea of what we can offer.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hi Villain,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

I wouldn't really have much in a HiFi that would cover that.  Got a few AV receivers tho that would do the job   Only thing is they're quite big bulky boxes.

If this doesn't bother you then check out the Pioneer VXS 922 currently priced at £239.00.  This features Airplay, Zone 2 and also internet radio.  It would need to be connected into your network via an ethernet cable, home plugs or Pioneer's WiFi adapter.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx922/pion-vsx922-blk

Another option would be going down the Sonos route.  Bit more money but such a great system.  It allows multi room streaming so would be perfect.   You'd be starting of at £249.00 for a 1 room system (which also includes 6 months napster)  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/multi-room-components/pah011241

For the second zone you could add in another Sonos Play 3 at £249.00.  Or upgrade to the more superior Play 5 at £349.00:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/multi-room-components/sonos/play:5/sono-s5

Hope this gives you a good idea of what we can offer.

Let me know what you think.

Chris
    Good options Chris, I think a large device with app control might work!

I'll have a look later and hoepfully make a purchase.

Thanks

Villain wrote: »
    Good options Chris, I think a large device with app control might work!

I'll have a look later and hoepfully make a purchase.

Thanks

Hi again,

No problem :)

If you need anymore info just let me know.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Hi Kenny,

I'm a fan of airplay.  I just have an Apple TV today but I'm in the process of a new build and want something multi-room that can be controlled via an iPad or android phone.  The Sonos looks good but seems pricy.  The alternative seems some form of apple airport express and/or AV Receiver.

The AV Receiver would have the benefit of being hooked into surround sound for the TV.  Some receivers have airplay built in so I assume this negates the need for an airport express.  I've seen the multi-room receivers being described as the 2nd Zone being passive.  Does this mean that if you're 2nd zone are ceiling speakers you'll actually need a 2nd amp? 

Is this the case with the Pioneer VXS 922 or the Sony strdn1030?

I plan on having 2 apple TV's (sitting room and living/kitchen).  I'd have surround sound in the sitting room and ceiling speakers in the kitchen/living room.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way of powering the kitchen/living room speakers (probably 4 ceiling speakers).

Thanks,
    Ranleth

By Kenny of course I mean Chris...

• Advertisement

Ranleth wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,

I'm a fan of airplay.  I just have an Apple TV today but I'm in the process of a new build and want something multi-room that can be controlled via an iPad or android phone.  The Sonos looks good but seems pricy.  The alternative seems some form of apple airport express and/or AV Receiver.

The AV Receiver would have the benefit of being hooked into surround sound for the TV.  Some receivers have airplay built in so I assume this negates the need for an airport express.  I've seen the multi-room receivers being described as the 2nd Zone being passive.  Does this mean that if you're 2nd zone are ceiling speakers you'll actually need a 2nd amp? 

Is this the case with the Pioneer VXS 922 or the Sony strdn1030?

I plan on having 2 apple TV's (sitting room and living/kitchen).  I'd have surround sound in the sitting room and ceiling speakers in the kitchen/living room.  I'm just trying to figure out the best way of powering the kitchen/living room speakers (probably 4 ceiling speakers).

Thanks,
    Ranleth

Hi Ranleth,

Thanks for getting back to me, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

Airplay is very handy like, excellent feature to have for any Apple user.  

If the AV amp has Airplay built in then you wouldn't need to bother with the Airport Express.  With the Pioneer the second zone will be able to run a pair of speakers ok.  You can only use analog inputs tho such as CD, BD, DVD etc.  

If you got an Zone 2 Active amp this would allow more options such as network features (internet radio, ipod etc)  This is easy enough as you can just connect speakers straight into the amp.  The only thing is most will only allow 1 pair of speakers so if you wanted to power 4 in-ceiling speakers you would need an amp with two speaker outputs.  

For this option I'd suggest the Denon AVRX2000 currently priced at £499.95:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avrx2000/deno-avrx2000

Using this amp you could have your Apple Airplay playing in the main zone.  You could then use iPod/USB, TUNER, NETWORK or an input source with an analog audio input connector.

To power the 4 in-ceiling speakers check out the Marantz PM5004 currently priced at £159.00:
    http://www.richersounds.com/search/marantz%20pm5004

You're jumping up a bit money wise but this will give you all the control you need.  

Hope this info hasn't confused matters.

Chris

Hi Ranleth,

Thanks for getting back to me, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

Airplay is very handy like, excellent feature to have for any Apple user.  

If the AV amp has Airplay built in then you wouldn't need to bother with the Airport Express.  With the Pioneer the second zone will be able to run a pair of speakers ok.  You can only use analog inputs tho such as CD, BD, DVD etc.  

If you got an Zone 2 Active amp this would allow more options such as network features (internet radio, ipod etc)  This is easy enough as you can just connect speakers straight into the amp.  The only thing is most will only allow 1 pair of speakers so if you wanted to power 4 in-ceiling speakers you would need an amp with two speaker outputs.  

For this option I'd suggest the Denon AVRX2000 currently priced at £499.95:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avrx2000/deno-avrx2000

Using this amp you could have your Apple Airplay playing in the main zone.  You could then use iPod/USB, TUNER, NETWORK or an input source with an analog audio input connector.

To power the 4 in-ceiling speakers check out the Marantz PM5004 currently priced at £159.00:
    http://www.richersounds.com/search/marantz%20pm5004

You're jumping up a bit money wise but this will give you all the control you need.  

Hope this info hasn't confused matters.

Chris
    Thanks Chris!

So I'd need the Marantz PM5004 in addition to the Denon AVRX2000?

I still have options in terms of the electrical layout so I just need to figure out what will suit the house.

Thanks,
    Ranleth

Ranleth wrote: »
    Thanks Chris!

So I'd need the Marantz PM5004 in addition to the Denon AVRX2000?

I still have options in terms of the electrical layout so I just need to figure out what will suit the house.

Thanks,
    Ranleth

Hi Ranleth,

Thanks for getting back to me.

To run 4 pairs of speakers in Zone 2 unfortunately you would need another amp that's capable of running 2 pairs of speakers.  The PM5004 would be one of the cheapest options.  Still a great amp mind.

Chris

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.