Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing list points wiped off system

Options
  • 12-06-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi all just wondering if anyine is in the same situation as me...
    myself and my partner have been together the last 4 yrs and recently moved together she was on the housing list and had 111 pionts with just her and her 1st son (she has two kids now) what im wondering is when we moved to tallaght (for medical reasons only) she cnotified the relevant councils of change of address and when we went to see where we were on the liat we were told she had no points at all?? uf anyone can shed light on this plz do as we are now into the last few months of our lease in private rented acc. we just want ti settle down and get back to work etc. but this private rented situation is never anything rock solid and we need that for the first child as all this moving etc. is not good for his condition...

many thanks (and no trollers or deviants plz)

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Maybe it's because she moved from one local authority to another she can't carry over the points. Maybe it was a clerical error. Did you ask them why she had no points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Moved from Dublin City to the Accommodation & Property forum

• Registered Users Posts: 21 h3no

Maybe it's because she moved from one local authority to another she can't carry over the points. Maybe it was a clerical error. Did you ask them why she had no points?

thanks for reply as we only went in today we got the usual forms etc. before we go any further so i intend ti cycle in every morning until we find out where we stand..we dont exoect or demand anything either if ahe had known maybe she would have been more reluctant to move in the first place :-(

January wrote: »
    Moved from Dublin City to the Accommodation & Property forum

thanks mod am only a newbie sorry :-\

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

maybe its because it isn't her and her son anymore. You have moved in so your circumstances I would imagine impact her.

moving not good for his condition ? You are the male surely its your condition .......

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    maybe its because it isn't her and her son anymore. You have moved in so your circumstances I would imagine impact her.

moving not good for his condition ? You are the male surely its your condition .......
    when i say his condition i mean the sons he has adhd and dyslexia and finds it hard to re adjust not saying it will be a major factor but one of them. i guess all i am asking is can she appeal ti get the points back or should we crack on and start again? thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

h3no wrote: »
    when i say his condition i mean the sons he has adhd and dyslexia and finds it hard to re adjust not saying it will be a major factor but one of them. i guess all i am asking is can she appeal ti get the points back or should we crack on and start again? thanks :-)

best thing you can do is go in and sit in front of somebody and figure it out.

Are you working ? Im assuming your income or situation is whats the key thing here.

D3PO wrote: »
    best thing you can do is go in and sit in front of somebody and figure it out.

Are you working ? Im assuming your income or situation is whats the key thing here.

was workin in quite a good job but as per the recession bla bla bla...im actually back doing training courses and hoping to be back working by early sept i wont go into the ins and outs as to why im not working at present...and just to make things clear im not a sponge etc. i have worked all of my life up until 2010. i think ur right though sitting down with the relevant people is always best, just wanted to see if anyone else was un my boat :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There is no points based system in SDCC your housed based on your need and length of time on the list in most cases you could be looking at a 6-8 year wait depending on what scheme you end up on

Gatling wrote: »
    There is no points based system in SDCC your housed based on your need and length of time on the list in most cases you could be looking at a 6-8 year wait depending on what scheme you end up on
    thanks for the reply gatling....if it aint one thing its the other i just hope there is an appeal board ir something, just because she moved doesnt mean she doesnt still need her points, she moved out to tallaght because it was near to the plave where her eldest son was being diagnosed for adhd now that he is diagnised and settled on his meds we want to settle down and start to get things back in order with our lives the move was in her sons best interest and now she has to start all over again i think dcc should show some compassion in her case as it is genuine and we all know there are a lot of people out there trying to screw tge system, but she isnt that kind of girl she just wants the best for the boys yano?

• Advertisement

As much as I feel for your situation ADHD and dyslexia are not exactly priority medical conditions ,I need double hip replacement and have lung problems ,
    I've been on the list 7 years in total including the last 4 with kids ,
    All you can really do is bide your time, I know there trying to clear the 2 bed waiting lists up here people are trying to hold out for 3-4 beds with 1- 2 kids all the giving out is 2 bed apartment's ,
    You's could look at the RAS Scheme

thanks for ur reply again gatling i am not saying that his adhd is the priblem its more of a settling in kida thing with him, school new friends and the likes...im sorry to hear of ur own situation and agree that biding my time is probably the best answer, but to start over thats whats really killing her she was already on the list 8 yrs 9 in august so she has put the time in in that respect she just feels hard done by because she done everything by the book and was not informed of her loss of points, anywho we shall see where the road takes us lord knows its gonna be a long and ardious one :-( thanks again all....peace :-)

As I said check out what schemes are available to you's

RAS - is like a long term private let you could rent a private house for 10 years if accepted worth looking into,

Choice based letting system - the council send out a list of available houses /apartments to suit your needs and you post what one's your interested in an depending where you are on the list you could get an offer , also voluntary housing association's are able to offer houses too ,this is what I'm on ,

Pop in to the SDCC and see what options area available to you's and GoodLuck

RAS seems to be the way to go atm so again thank u all so much ill update when i know more thanks :-) peace

• Registered Users Posts: 11 headwrecked

Hi,I was on the dcc list and wanted to private rent in tallaght,they told me that because I would be resident in Dublin 24 that I would need to change to the sdcc list,and in doing so would go right back to the start and lose my 115 points.I rang the housing dept in dcc and they agreed to keep me on their list..and then I was housed last year....hope that helps its kinda the same situation

thats great ya got housed *whispers* bastad....lol only jokin this is good news it gives us a bit of hope anyway gonna get their forms back in and see how we fair out mucho gracias :-)

lol Im a girl :)I started ringing them once a week just to see was there any movement...as my mam used to say "if a house comes up and you have two people who are on the list the same amount of time,and you have one ringing constantly and the other hasn't came near you in years,your going to give the house to "the one who makes the most noise" so try that too,its only a phonecall:)

true that i intend to get undr their skin.....in a nice way ur ma us dead right as well the brains of our operation is always tellin me the same lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

lol Im a girl :)I started ringing them once a week just to see was there any movement...as my mam used to say "if a house comes up and you have two people who are on the list the same amount of time,and you have one ringing constantly and the other hasn't came near you in years,your going to give the house to "the one who makes the most noise" so try that too,its only a phonecall:)
    I can assure you that will not work and more likely to back fire. Would you want to help somebody annoying you? I'd be surprised if you actually got to talk to the same person either.

There is a list for a reason. Mention of being kept on a list in a region you don't live is also a bit dubious. You can't be on two lists either. These are things likely to prevent you getting a place. If you are found breaking rules you can be completely removed from the lists and may be disqualified indefinitely.

Don't believe stories you hear about magic ways to do anything as they are often just stories heard 3rd hand.

watever trevor,its exactly what happened to me.Did you actually have any advice for the original poster or are you just trying to make me out to be a liar....why would I bother replying with a made up answer???you must have little to be doing....and I wasn't annoying them as you say...asking how your getting on on the list is hardly annoying,at least I didn't sit back on my arse which i can "assure" you if I did so I would still be renting

• Advertisement

watever trevor,its exactly what happened to me.Did you actually have any advice for the original poster or are you just trying to make me out to be a liar....why would I bother replying with a made up answer???you must have little to be doing....and I wasn't annoying them as you say...asking how your getting on on the list is hardly annoying,at least I didn't sit back on my arse which i can "assure" you if I did so I would still be renting
    You don't know if you were next on the list or not. I worked in the department so might have more experience on how the system works.

So you should know how the op should go about finding out if his oh has indeed lost all her points or if they can be transferred....would have been a lot more helpful answering his op rather than insinuating my experience was hearsay:rolleyes:

So you should know how the op should go about finding out if his oh has indeed lost all her points or if they can be transferred....would have been a lot more helpful answering his op rather than insinuating my experience was hearsay:rolleyes:
    It has been answered from what I can see. These things also change over time

I am not insinuating your claim is hearsay I am saying it won't work and may do damage. While the policies change the people working there don't. Not uncommon for some officer to "do a favour" for somebody to shut them up but it will go on to bite them. The customer gets kicked off for being on two lists, not being in the area or jumping on the list. You don't know your phone calls made any difference. If it actually did somebody gets in trouble, do you think somebody risked their job for you? On the other hand you can kick somebody down or off the list without any trouble. I have heard of annoying people moving down and off lists on a pretty regular basis for the carry on you think worked but actually don't know if it did. Even pigeon are superstitious

ok giys thanks for the input i dont want anyone arguing or anything i am gonna see how things fare out ill keep everyone posted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You don't know if you were next on the list or not. I worked in the department so might have more experience on how the system works.

+1.
    You're dead right. OP, you don't know where you are on the list. (I thought they did away with the points system a couple of years back and replaced it with a system where it went by length of time on the list/medical priority?)

OP, I was waiting 10 years for a place and it was just myself and my partner.
    We did keep in regular contact with the council to see if there was any movement but Ray Palmer is correct-they have no way of knowing when you'll be housed, and they won't take kindly to be harangued every day on the phone.

They're not being difficult; when they have a place for you, they will contact you, as they did me.

If there are no new builds available, you're basically waiting for someone to die or be evicted before you'll get a place.

I know it's frustrating waiting and waiting, but it's all you can do

Your other option is the RAS scheme which sounds like it might be beneficial for you as you want to return to the workplace and the RAS scheme allows you to do so, unlike being on Rent Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, you've moved from on council area to another, and since her original application your partner has stopped being a sole parent. The latter means that your partner's housing need would be less even if you hadn't moved.

Your housing needs now will be assessed by the council where you are now living, and any ranking will be relative to the other people in the area who need social housing. And yes, of course you will go back to the start of the list, because you've gone onto a new list.

If you'd contacted the SDCC before moving, it's possible that you might have "transferred" maintaining position on the list - but equally likely that they would have said "sorry, we've got quite enough people of our own needing housing alread".

thanks to the last 2 posters mch appreciated i am at peace that i/we will be in a long queue so im preparing for the wait although ras is appealing to me more and more each day because of the ability to work. thanks again....jay

Advertisement