Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trust in Ennis Council to put in proper flood defences in Gort Road?

• 12-06-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Do you trust Ennis town council to put up proper flood defences in Ennis on the Gort Road where it flooded in 2009?
    I mean they allowed hundreds of houses to be built there in the first place even in 2006.
    Then spent tens of millions of taxpayers money on building social housing (in the Bishops field) in 2008-2009.

Should people who spent hundreds of thousands on these houses on the Gort Road not join together to check out what flood defences are planned if any to prevent their houses being flooded? Would you trust the Council to do it properly if no questions were being asked?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Do you trust Ennis town council to put up proper flood defences in Ennis on the Gort Road where it flooded in 2009?
    I mean they allowed hundreds of houses to be built there in the first place even in 2006.
    Then spent tens of millions of taxpayers money on building social housing (Watery Road) in 2008-2009.

Should people who spent hundreds of thousands on these houses on the Gort Road not join together to check out what flood defences are planned if any to prevent their houses being flooded? Would you trust the Council to do it properly if no questions were being asked?

Tens of millions.......................... where? Multiples of ten million spent on houses on the Watery Road? Where?
    All your figures and ''facts'' have flaws.
    Maybe the people on the Gort Road should do what you have outlined, how about you go to them and ask them personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NotCuteHoor

Yes, the Council spent tens of millions on social housing on the field that the Bishop donated. Its near the swimming pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you mean bishopscourt and westbourne?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you mean bishopscourt and westbourne?

Bishopscourt is a private estate of around 40 houses built sometime in the 1990's on land Bishop Harty sold to a private developer.

Westbourne comprises an estate of about 75 social housing houses, including about 12 flats and 4 houses of the St V de Paul and some 8 or so affordable housing scheme houses, finished around end 2008 on land sold for €1.5m by Bishop Walsh to the Council in 2000. Think it came in at somewhat just over €13m.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

The flood relief works are the responsibility of OPW not Town Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 NotCuteHoor

So, Town Council grants planning permission for hundreds of houses in swampy land. Land floods and Town Council is never held to account. Typical.

Will the OPW ensure that the flood defences are adequate? I heard that someone is upgrading the flood defences for the social housing in Westbourne. What is going to happen as regard flood defences for the owners of private houses on the Gort Road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I stand to be corrected but i dont think the westbourne estate has ever been flooded, I know the watery road has, its a given because of the name!

Advertisement