Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coles selling bread "made' in Ireland!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Maybe auld Mr Brennan retired to Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Wasn't this in the news around 3 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's ironic that an article, about how where bread is baked is misleading, is itself misleading.

It makes it sounds as if its all baked in ireland but later says "baked ireland or in other locations in australia". No where does it clatify how much is baked in each location.

It might be just a single product from ireland. A gourmet farmhouse bread or whatever. With the rest par-baked somewhere in Australia.
    I'm surprised that something is shipped from ireland, but would have assumed that the fact they use par-baked bread was fairly common knowledge. Most supermarkets do this. A lot of those bread shops the article mentions probably do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I was used to Kiwi fruit and apples from NZ but the thought of really made dough is still a surprise. I shouldn't be surprised though as someone told me years ago about how Irish dairy product producers had reciprocal arrangements with their NZ counterparts for concentrates, the grazing conditions being almost identical.
    Now if only we could sell and ship a few empty housing estates to Australia!
    jack_1-111110_jpg_470x412_q85.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

What's the story with bread staying soft five days after you open it over here? I mean, I should be happy but it just isn't right!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What's the story with bread staying soft five days after you open it over here? I mean, I should be happy but it just isn't right!!

The standard loafs like tip top and those are full of crap, a lot worse than at home.
    I tend to get a bakery bread and the difference is huge.
    I guess heat in summer plays a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

That's because it's not that mank from Tesco, Aldi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

You think that's bad, up here in the mines we can get stuff called 'Long Life Milk' it is not uncommon to see use by dates in excess of 4 mths and can be/is stored at room temperature during that time.
    What sort of crap are they putting into that ?? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

sponge_bob wrote: »
    You think that's bad, up here in the mines we can get stuff called 'Long Life Milk' it is not uncommon to see use by dates in excess of 4 mths and can be/is stored at room temperature during that time.

nothing. its just dairy milk but heated a lot hotter than regular pasteurisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwwcU2c3u4

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You've seriously never seen UHT milk before????

edit:
    To clarify the little pots of milk you get in airplanes, hotels, etc all over the world (including back home) is UHT milk. Taste a bit meh but doesn't go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Mellor wrote: »
    You've seriously never seen UHT milk before????

edit:
    To clarify the little pots of milk you get in airplanes, hotels, etc all over the world (including back home) is UHT milk. Taste a bit meh but doesn't go off.

I got a fondness for a small splonk of it in a really strong expresso or mug of expresso ! Really emphasises the coffee flavour -yum !

I bought milk mate a while back ( sick of milk going off ) and like that too. Checked the best by date the other day -Feb 2012. Dosn't seem to make a difference to the taste or my stomach!

Still delicious!

Re the bread sure that kind of packaging nonsense is rampant in Ireland -remember the Burd Flu saga -Thai chickens born & reared in Thailand, killed in Poland & packaged in Ireland became -legitimately -Irish chickens. Dusgraceful. legally " legit" but sure ralusts walk free in this country so that means littke. I didn't buy chicken for tears after.at least the Ozzies arn't putting up with that kind of Dishonest rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Mate that milk is the business! I always buy a carton, leave it in the press and forget about it. Then when shock horror I make a cup o' tea and find there is no milk I remember I had a carton of that stuff hidden somewhere. Result :)

Advertisement