Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Merville like?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Got Merville house 3 for next year. Wondering what it's really like..

Anyone stayed there before?

Are the bedrooms decent sized? Is there wardrobe space? Is the parking a free for all? How many rooms per apartment and how many bathroom? What are the couches like?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

I had friends in Merville last year. I'm aware there is some variation between different houses but I'll describe to you what their place was like.

Bedrooms are miniscule. That is no exaggeration. Be prepared to take as little with you as possible! Wardrobe space is not great, for boys I'd say it would do but since I'm not a boy, I would greatly struggle. Thankfully there does seem to be a good amount of rail space, provided you take a load of hangers with you.

I think last year was free parking, although I heard rumours about it being introduced this year. Don't quote me on that though because since neither myself or my friends had cars with us so it wasn't an issue we had to deal with.

4 rooms per appartment and 2 bathrooms. Couches were leather (or perhaps more realistically fake leather.) I think there are some appartments with 5 rooms but the vast majority have 4.

Be warned though, the birds have a tendancy to come in the windows and make an absolute mess. I have absolutely no clue why this happens specifically in Merville but it does. So if you leave the appartment keep your windows closed.

Hope this cleared up any questions you may have had!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Got Merville house 3 for next year. Wondering what it's really like..

Anyone stayed there before?

Are the bedrooms decent sized? Is there wardrobe space? Is the parking a free for all? How many rooms per apartment and how many bathroom? What are the couches like?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Stayed there in first year its good craic but I suppose alot depends on your flatmates. Bedrooms are ok sized you've a bed desk but beside sleeping I rarely spent time there tbh. As regards wardrobes there wasnt a wardrobe as such but an inbuilt unit, as a lad I found it more than adequate for my clothes but again depends on how much space you take up. No idea about parking next year but it was free when I was there. Each apartment was 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms but there is a few apartments with 5 bedrooms. Couches are imitation leather, pretty comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

mhangasor wrote: »
    I had friends in Merville last year. I'm aware there is some variation between different houses but I'll describe to you what their place was like.

Bedrooms are miniscule. That is no exaggeration. Be prepared to take as little with you as possible! Wardrobe space is not great, for boys I'd say it would do but since I'm not a boy, I would greatly struggle. Thankfully there does seem to be a good amount of rail space, provided you take a load of hangers with you.

I think last year was free parking, although I heard rumours about it being introduced this year. Don't quote me on that though because since neither myself or my friends had cars with us so it wasn't an issue we had to deal with.

4 rooms per appartment and 2 bathrooms. Couches were leather (or perhaps more realistically fake leather.) I think there are some appartments with 5 rooms but the vast majority have 4.

Be warned though, the birds have a tendancy to come in the windows and make an absolute mess. I have absolutely no clue why this happens specifically in Merville but it does. So if you leave the appartment keep your windows closed.

Hope this cleared up any questions you may have had!

Oh this is a ****ing must to take note, still remember coming in my 2nd day of term to two birds in the sitting room and **** everywhere. I had a **** of a flatmate for the first semester (who thankfully left at christmas) who rarely got up before 1 pm and always left the apartment windows open with food sitting out, as you can imagine a diabolical combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JS0692

Thanks lads. It's the wardrobe space I'm thinking about. I've too many clothes for a fella and the birds sound like a bitta craic.

I hope I'm not with first years though, I'm on my 4th year of college..

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mhangasor

Thanks lads. It's the wardrobe space I'm thinking about. I've too many clothes for a fella and the birds sound like a bitta craic.

I hope I'm not with first years though, I'm on my 4th year of college..

You might not be in luck there, I would say the majority of Merville is first years! Good luck fitting all your clothes in though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Stasya_x

You literally could not swing a cat in those bedrooms, otherwise Merville is pretty nice. I mean the common room is big enough, kitchens are decent (you don't get an oven though, in case you haven't heard. It's worth investing in something like a toaster oven.)

Last year you were asked to register your car reg if you planned on parking as a resident in Merville.. I never did, was never clamped so I don't think it's a huge issue overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Stayed in merville when I was a first year. Granted, it was nearly a decade ago, but I absolutely hated it. Bedroom size was fine, but absolutely freezing in winter.

I remember sitting in the sitting room one day in December, fully dressed with coat and had a duvet over me, with the heating on, and I was still freezing.

Not sure if thy have those electricity meters still, but Christ I hated those.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Electricity/heating bills come as part of the fees.

Advertisement