Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A very serious error

• 12-06-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

I am looking for some advice following a series of unfortunate events.

My partner fell pregnant recently despite using the birth control implant (implanon). This unplanned pregnancy is not something we can deal with and should not have happened whilst on this form of contraception.

We both understand that no contraception is 100% secure however, upon the discovery of being pregnant the implant needed to be removed. At this point in time no person who is familiar (family planning professionals or doctors) with removing the implant are able to find it and it appears that the implant was never put in. We are waiting to get an radiographer expert opinion to absolutely confirm this.

Is there a case of malpractice here? The doctor who's responsible for putting the contraception in place failed to implant the device.

Any advice on whether or not there is case a to pursue legal proceedings would be very much so appreciated.

TL;DR: Doctor failed to implant birth control device, pregnancy resulted. Grounds for legal proceedings?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

You'll have to go see a solicitor. Wait to see for sure if the implant was put in first.

We cant give legal advice because of the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Yea I was wondering if it may be against boards rules..

Apologies if it is but I am not seeking legal advice, just wondering if people who are familiar with law think there is a case?

We are both quite young and not familiar with this sort of thing.

hypermuse wrote: »
    Apologies if it is but I am not seeking legal advice, just wondering if people who are familiar with law think there is a case?

Legal advice then.

If you call up a few solicitors in the phone book, they may well have a free first consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

implanon can move when its fitted. it doesn't effect the performance and everyone is told of the failure rate. in my opinion no wrong was done.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2198124/Fears-hundreds-contraceptive-implants-gone-missing-womens-bodies-putting-fertility-risk.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Just an idea now but you're 100% that your partner actually made an appointment to get this contraceptive device and actually got it.

I don't wan't to say she may be pulling the wool over your eyes but it seems strange that a doctor would do something like this.

• Advertisement

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Just an idea now but you're 100% that your partner actually made an appointment to get this contraceptive device and actually got it.

I don't wan't to say she may be pulling the wool over your eyes but it seems strange that a doctor would do something like this.

do some research before blaming the woman. implanon moves.

The device cant be found..

I appreciate what you are saying but she has a card from the doctor stating when the implant was put in place and when it would expire!

She also has scars from where it was supposedly fitted. I am 100% confident that she went to get the implant put in.

PucaMama wrote: »
    do some research before blaming the woman. implanon moves.

Ah go burn a bra :rolleyes:

Women have the ability to lie aswell just as men do. :cool:

hypermuse wrote: »
    The device cant be found..

I appreciate what you are saying but she has a card from the doctor stating when the implant was put in place and when it would expire!

She also has scars from where it was supposedly fitted. I am 100% confident that she went to get the implant put in.

Sounds like it's taken a trip so. I'd say it'll show up on a scan.

Ah go burn a bra :rolleyes:

Women have the ability to lie aswell just as men do. :cool:

telling u to do research means i should burn a bra :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote: »
    telling u to do research means i should burn a bra :rolleyes:

No your feminist charm led me to that conclusion. Now go put the kettle on.. :pac:

No your feminist charm led me to that conclusion. Now go put the kettle on.. :pac:

feminist charm :pac: in a legal forum :pac: amazing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

I had a similar device (Mirena) inserted about 18 months ago and it worked for a couple of months. I had reason to have it checked out a few months later and it was gone. I was completely unaware of this happening and I am pretty certain it was properly inserted as it was done by a consultant gynae in hospital as part of another procedure. Unfortunately this can happen, as with all methods of contraception none works 100%. Having a scan will only tell you whether the device is gone, not whether it was ever inserted.

SB2013 wrote: »
    Moderator: quoted post deleted.

Thank you for your opinion. We are waiting until we can get as much professional opinion as possible before even thinking about contacting a solicitor. Was just wondering if boardsies think there is much point!

SB2013 wrote: »
    Moderator: quoted post deleted.

Really? So there would be criminal charges if, for instance, there was negligence on the part of the Doctor in that he accidentally forgot to put the implant in? Can you point out the offence to me because I'm stumped.

This is why legal advice isn't allowed in this forum, because its usually bad.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

OP, as you can see, legal advice is not allowed to be given or sought in this forum (or indeed, on this site). Please read the forum charter before posting here again.

Your first port of call is to speak to a solicitor who will advise you how to proceed in relation to this matter. It is a complicated area, so someone with experience in professional/medical negligence will be required. I am saying this in a neutral sense, without expressing any view as to whether or not you have a case.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement