Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big wild browns how to get them and tactis in the night for them

Options
  • 12-06-2013 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello,

I need some help with catching the bigger sized brown trout what should i use,i'm fishing in rivers and should i fish the night tactics for the them in the night etc

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

sedges fished fast over quick deep runs after dark. just be sure youre holding the rod tight....theyll hit like a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SeaFields wrote: »
    sedges fished fast over quick deep runs after dark. just be sure youre holding the rod tight....theyll hit like a train.

I find the bigger fish tend be in the slower holding water, rather than fast runs. Certainly on the Clare River, where I fish, targeting faster water you will only catch small fish, but on the slow, deep pools you can get fish up to 8lbs. On these pools I find a bit of breeze helps, or even rain, as surface disturbance caused by the leader is less obvious, and you can skate a sedge across the surface a bit more naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Zzippy wrote: »
    I find the bigger fish tend be in the slower holding water, rather than fast runs. Certainly on the Clare River, where I fish, targeting faster water you will only catch small fish, but on the slow, deep pools you can get fish up to 8lbs. On these pools I find a bit of breeze helps, or even rain, as surface disturbance caused by the leader is less obvious, and you can skate a sedge across the surface a bit more naturally.

yeah, i suppose every river is different. on my main brownie river, big trout move after dark into the fast deep water. the tail runs of these stretches give unreal fishing at times. now that you mention it, if fishing for seatrout with sedges id fish the slow dead stretches with a slow figure of 8 retrieve. i fish a sinking leader to disguise any disturbance

Advertisement