Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones: donkey rides in 1915?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

There are some family pictures of my mother and uncle getting rides on donkeys on a happy holiday in Greystones in 1915. Anyone know who was the local (?) entrepreneur who ran this business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Wow 1915. In the 60s I had a donkey on the beach and often made 30 shillings on a good Saturday and Sunday I wish I had photos but unfortunately none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Well, it seems to have been prosperous and teeming in 1915. When you get the time machine right, you can make your fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Wow 1915. In the 60s I had a donkey on the beach and often made 30 shillings on a good Saturday and Sunday I wish I had photos but unfortunately none.

This has to be the next headline in the Wicklow Times.

pixbyjohn, for the first time ever is stuck for a photo!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Now you've done it.
    Figure he is going to rustle up a donkey and take some shots this weekend, hopefully though he won't fall afoul of the new bylaws, nothing there on donkeys....

Though a few weeks ago did meet two horses on the South beach, my pair of dogs didn't know what to make of them, normally spotting them while in the car...

If there's anyone who thinks their granddad or great-granddad ran these 1915 donkey rides, I can tell them where there might be photos...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

There are some family pictures of my mother and uncle getting rides on donkeys on a happy holiday in Greystones in 1915. Anyone know who was the local (?) entrepreneur who ran this business?

Any chance of uploading the pix?

Any chance of uploading the pix?

I don't own them; will ask if I may upload one.

Advertisement