Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Live BBC 2 17/6/13 20.00

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Couple of points:

The A check of the 747 showed a video of checking the blades of the engines, did anyone notice the date on the screen. Sometime around 2011.

Also, Heathrow is an airport so several airlines are going in and out of there every day. This programme looks like a serious love-in for British Airways!! :mad:

Maybe the BBC could be a bit impartial and interview some Virgin, Aer Lingus, and other airline people and not just the BA ground crew, BA chief pilot etc.

In case you are not aware, but Aer Lingus is the 3rd largest holder of slots at Heathrow and not a look in for the green there.

BBC - VERY ONE SIDED!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jesus, some people will complain about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

This show is facinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Couple of points:

The A check of the 747 showed a video of checking the blades of the engines, did anyone notice the date on the screen. Sometime around 2011.

Also, Heathrow is an airport so several airlines are going in and out of there every day. This programme looks like a serious love-in for British Airways!! :mad:

Maybe the BBC could be a bit impartial and interview some Virgin, Aer Lingus, and other airline people and not just the BA ground crew, BA chief pilot etc.

In case you are not aware, but Aer Lingus is the 3rd largest holder of slots at Heathrow and not a look in for the green there.

BBC - VERY ONE SIDED!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I hope you watched tonight's show because it wasn't "one-sided" with features of Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. It was nicely split up so this should make you happy. BBC aren't one sided as you exclaimed previously so just be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Yes it is absolutely brilliant. Even has the rest of the family sitting down to watch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

See how quick them lads replaced a bit of the runway the size of a football pitch!! Should of got that crew for the m50 upgrade and it would of being done in a month!!

Would love to be an ATC doing the night shift there, something eery about the place at night

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    I hope you watched tonight's show because it wasn't "one-sided" with features of Virgin Atlantic and British Airways. It was nicely split up so this should make you happy. BBC aren't one sided as you exclaimed previously so just be patient.

Yes I saw the virgin bit tonight, but all in all it is still very 1 sided towards BA. Now if you would like to climb down off your high horse that would be great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Reoil wrote: »
    Jesus, some people will complain about anything.

Yes and I like complaining over the constant BBC bias!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes and I like complaining over the constant BBC bias!

British Broadcasting Corporation

The clue is in the name really :confused:

Also BA accounts for half of LHR's traffic, of course there are more BA stuff on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I've only watched the first episode, but I didn't see much bias for British Airways.

They did a walk around of a Singapore Airlines and Virgin than anything. Lots of shots of Aer Lingus, American, several Middle Eastern Airlines, and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

One of the best of these programmes I have ever seen TBH

For once they are not concentrating on Johnny No mates who has forgotten his passport and has to phone his dad to get it , or Mr Angry who has turned up late and is not let on.

I get a little annoyed everytime whatsherface says , ' see that 'plane with the big fat nose , that's a 747 ' but I guess a lot of people wouldn't know that.

The painting thing last night , 20k dots that have to be removed by hand !! Blimey !!!!

Impressed with the NATS people , very very professional.

There is a slight BA bias , but tell me this , if RTE did a programme from DUB , would there be an EI bias ? By bias , I mean they seem to have more access to BA than anyone else

Ohhhh , BTW , those cars being transported by Virgin ...... whoooaaaaaa !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Its been really enjoyable so far (and far better than Channel 4's current aviation related programme).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The best programme I have ever seen about the workings of an Airport, the one thing that really impressed me is the Nats guys and the way that the presenters are never made to feel as if they are in the way when people are rushing in and out of the cockpit to get papers signed off, They all smile and answer any questions, the Virgin girl last night was very impressive on her job. It never ceases to amaze me why RTE would never do a programme like that at Dublin, tonight should be good if the promised weather happens.

Well done BBC and the presenter who stood in at the last moment as Dan Snow had family issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

While the theory of the operation is not new to me, I think this is a great show. (Reminds me very much of some very old BBC shows in a similar vein from the 1980's) Great show for non-aviation workers.
    As stated above its great to see the inner workings rather than focus on the reality show individual drama of passengers.

As for any "....BA Bias"....well it was always going to happen. LHR is their base....I'm sure as soon as they were asked to get involved they realised they couldn't let anyone else get the limelight. Its easy PR for them. Statistically every 2nd plane you see in LHR will be BA anyway. (If it was DUB then it would have to be EI or FR)

One gripe would be that the turnaround segment in Part 2 didn't have a timer onscreen showing that they were against the clock. I remember an old documentary/live broadcast that had a pair of Harrier's complete a rearm/refit/recrew turnaround in 19 mins...with a timer counting down. Looked more frantic that that BA turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

These people harping on about "bias"- has it ever occurred to them that BA is far and away the largest operator at Heathrow? Or that they are the de facto national airline? Or that perhaps other airlines were asked to participate but chose not to? Or to just sit down with a cup if tea, relax and enjoy the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Another programme on BBC 2 after airport live tonight, flights and fights,the story of low cost Airlines. Should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I remember one of the questions covered last night came from a viewer in Dublin. Any Boardsie want to own up to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

I remember thinking that too, not me though...

Davidth88 wrote: »
    For once they are not concentrating on Johnny No mates who has forgotten his passport and has to phone his dad to get it , or Mr Angry who has turned up late and is not let on.

God, I hate those shows. It gives you the impression that it's actually about aviation but then it's just a show where they talk to nannys waiting from their sons coming home from Australia. I think TV3 ran a show like that called Dublin Airport recently, not sure if it's still on. I stopped watching after the first episode.
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    I get a little annoyed everytime whatsherface says , ' see that 'plane with the big fat nose , that's a 747 ' but I guess a lot of people wouldn't know that.

Yeah it is a big annoying but it would help to reach out to a bigger audience because you'd be surprised how many people don't know.
    flazio wrote: »
    I remember one of the questions covered last night came from a viewer in Dublin. Any Boardsie want to own up to it?

So it seems I wasn't the only one who thought that haha

Anybody want to get our name up there again? Come on guys, some of yous are pilots, e-mail a good question from 'Bord Seys' or something from Ireland :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Savage looking fire engines.

Savage looking fire engines.

Yeah they are savage. Rosenbauer Panthers, most airports have been buying them the past few years. I think one of the firemen told me that the tyres themselves cost €8000 each :eek:

Baldonnel has 2, Belfast, Waterford and Doengal use them in Ireland. Possibly more.

Here's the one in Baldonnel:

12129.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Irish airports used to buy Timoney but not anymore, they were HUGE beasts you should see and HEAR the one left in Dublin dear god the growl off the engine it's Rescue 8 in the link below.

http://www.fire-ireland.com/Dublin-Airport-Fire-and-Rescue-Service

Have to say I was impressed by the Fire Trucks myself. Savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

flazio wrote: »

Someone like Dave Kavanagh IIRC

vicwatson wrote: »
    Someone like Dave Kavanagh IIRC

Yup

Nobody here I'm guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yeah they are savage. Rosenbauer Panthers, most airports have been buying them the past few years. I think one of the firemen told me that the tyres themselves cost €8000 each :eek:

Baldonnel has 2, Belfast, Waterford and Doengal use them in Ireland. Possibly more.

Here's the one in Baldonnel:

12129.jpg

Did they say 700k £ each or...?

Yup 700K each. Same as the cost to get into the Control Tower after 3 years of training!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did they say 700k £ each or...?

Yeah they said £700,000 per truck, I think Baldonnel bought them at €800,000 each which is roughly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2 motherR

good show. Would love to try flying the air bus simulator. they made it look easy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I see they mentioned there is a village called Longford on the perimeter...I wonder where they got that name :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Coming from Ruislip ( about 6 miles N of Heathrow ) , and growing up in it's shadow I found this programme really interesting .

I was that spotter on the Queens Building during the 70's / early 80's !! I had to laugh when they showed Myrtle Ave , how many people have spotted from there eh !

We used to get away with murder before security was tightened , I remember getting into the BA engineering base using an empty packet of B+H ( gold colour like the pass at the time ) , had lunch in the staff canteen , then proceeded onto the maintenance apron to take photo's of a Concorde that had been stripped down to white... bet you couldn't do that now :-)

I was very interested by the part about the expansion.

Sipson which is where the proposed 3rd runway may be built is an ancient village mentioned in the Doomsday book.

I didn't know BAA ( or Heathrow ) was buying houses around there .

I thought this part was very well balanced.

To me I think a new hub airport should be built , it's a shame the Maplin Sands wasn't built in the 70's as proposed.

( sorry OT , maybe worthy of a thread :) )

Advertisement