Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Live BBC 2 17/6/13 20.00

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'd love to get the job of towing the planes

does anyone know ..how would you go about applying for that job?? does it come under the remit of ground staff??

would you need a hgv licence or something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

was it just me or did anyone else pick on on the double entendre BBC were playing at during the fire department segment? When yer one suggested maybe she will get a chance to fire his cannon?? And at the end the fireman asked her did she want to start gathering up some hose??...I laughed anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I missed last night, is there a way of watching it online?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I missed last night, is there a way of watching it online?

It's on BBC iPlayer and YouTube possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

fryup wrote: »
    i'd love to get the job of towing the planes

does anyone know ..how would you go about applying for that job?? does it come under the remit of ground staff??

would you need a hgv licence or something similar?

The ground crews normally do the push backs/towing of aircraft and you don't need a HGV licence unless you drive the fueling trucks,Sometime ago I managed to have a rip in one of the SIDES truck in Dublin airport boy they are fast.
    And from memory the engines are not your normal truck engine which has to be warmed up along with the air pressure to build up before the truck will move,I think they said it is either a 2 or 4 stroke engine if I have any picks of one I will post it here.
    As for the show and coming from an Aviation back ground it has to be the best factual show that I have seen and gave a good insight in to the operations at an airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The ground crews normally do the push backs/towing of aircraft and you don't need a HGV licence unless you drive the fueling trucks

but i persume they'd be looking for someone who can drive both?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭donkey balls

fryup wrote: »
    but i persume they'd be looking for someone who can drive both?

The fuel companies operate independently of any airline/ground handling company and you require hazchem training to carry out the work.
    With the push back tugs you only need a car licence to operate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

Might want to check if this could affect your no-claims bonus before you apply for the job.

http://www.pprune.org/canada/517555-runway-run-ottawa-airport-two-aircraft-bump-wingtips.html

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Very interesting series. I was just wondering, does Dublin have the facilities for spray painting planes and tail logos etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Yes, in fact a large number of Aircraft from abroad come to Dublin to be painted by Eiretech Aviation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does Shannon have that facility as well?
    Also, BBC World News program Fast Track did a similar pre record piece from SEN about the fire crew and Bird Watch.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bp0tx

(Keep an eye out for the RE ATR incoming.)

Advertisement