Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Knockout match 4: Bounty Hunter vs Trippie

• 12-06-2013 4:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

th?id=H.4529580944197672&pid=15.1

First off both Myself & Trippie will get to reply showing us their teams and tactics for this fixture. Only after that will a poll be added for voting purposes. Please if you aren't competing here don't post until their have done their write ups too

You are to vote on which team you think would win in a straight Vs match up. What constitutes a team more likely to win is totaly up to each voters own discretion but perhaps you can be swayed by either posters write ups especially if you are not 100% familiar with a player in their team because after all any player from any era was eligible to be drafted in this draft so nobody is expected to recognize nor rate every single name.

In previous drafts only those taking part had their votes counted when cast...This is not the case this time, all votes from boards.ie posters will be counted once the polls are added. However in the case of a tied vote only those votes from people who explained why they voted in such a way on thread will count.

people dont have to agree with each others opinions and the draftee's are bound to defend their teams chances but lets try and not go round in circles arguing people and try and keep it civil. Once the two draftees have posted their sides and the write ups to go with them I (or another mod)will add the Polls and 48hrs for voting will begin.

Good luck fellas and have at it!

Who's team would progress to the next round? 23 votes

Bounty Hunter
    0% 0 votes
    Trippie
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Have to head off and wont be around for a while, taking a risk in that he has ages to counter my tactics as opposed to surprising him with them. Firstly cheers for running this. one of the easiest drafts I have been involved. THis is very rushed, if the voting is open for a few dfays I will be able to do a detailed analysis on friday afternoon probably. Just like the last time I did one though I end up facing Messi in the first round. Beat him that time and will do so again this time I believe

I have three of the greatest XI players of all time in my team, way more than anyone else. Everyone bar Valderrama has won major international competitions and has bags of experience, skills, accolades and trophies.

My basic defensive formation will look like this. I believe I have the best defense in the competition and will be next to impossible to score on. Matthaus and Didi were both great ball winners and Valderrama is robust enough to handle anything that comes through the middle. Matthaus and Didi are mentioned numerous times as the potential greatest midfield combination there ever could be. With me playing three across the middle like the Milan side when they won the most recent CL's I will be able to negate my lack of width by having the two better defensive players there to support my wing backs.

Much like 1982 Gentile will be empowered to manmark messi like he did Maradona. I presume since older players arent as atheltic as modern ones that they will not be forced to play the softer rules which we have today in order to compensate. He will be launching from the back forcing messi to get the ball deeper and deeper like what Thiago Silva did to him 2 years ago when Milan nulified him quite well.

Kaka at his best was when he would get the ball in the middle of the field, turn his marker and just attack the goal gazelle like. He always struggled when guys would just sit in front him,he also struggled when he two players in front of him. His best season when he played off the shoulder of Sheva. Pirlo could not play those long balls to him and he would not be as effective. I feel that once my midfilder sits a little deeper he will be nuetralised. He has shown recently at madrid that he struggles when has to be deeper and be more of a passer than a second forward.

abEW0Cdahm.jpg

In attack I feel that all I have to do is, get to move his central two about and there will be lots of space for me to attack into. Zambrotta and Hummels are a weak spot and with Eto'o who is probably the fastest player in the draft playing just off Hummels shoulder if I can move them then I can him into one on one situations.

What I will attempt to do is win the ball back in my half of the field and break quickly. Garrincha will take the ball and dribble to the right corner. Pulling Dunga with him. With Matthaus being a box to box midfielder I will have him push forward as well as Valderrama. Valderrama's role is to get the ball, draw Vieira onto him and then release totti in behind. If Totti has space in between Vieira and that defense he will have a field day.

If the central players stay in the middle and do not come out for Garrincha, then Carlos alberto will bomb forward and help to overlap, either pulling the ball back or they'll whip crosses into the box. When I have the greatest right sided midfielder and the best right back of all time obviously I will be attacking a lot down that side. Both being brazilian will help with continuity.

abEW2zTajd.jpg

If eto'o cannot get in behind then I have totti to shoot from distance to draw the defender sout to him. In fact hummels loves to come out of his defensive line and attack the forward, this will play into tottis hands and he will probably try to chip him and the keeper for one of his 2 goals.

Didi is famous for his free kicks so he will alternate between himself and totti for free's as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

First off I've listed my side and noted a few things about each player, yes it might read a little like a wiki profile at times but will higlight older players qualities, how good they were in their prime and how they might might fit together before I lay out my tactics for the game and take a look at Trippie's side

Gordon Banks: World cup winning goalkeeper alongside Teamate Bobby Moore, known for that save vs Pele who was voted the second best goalkeeper of the 20th century. As we are talking players prime he was Fifa Goalkeeper of the year for six years running FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971.

Nilton Santos: He is regarded as the best left wingback in the history of the game, world class both at defending and attacking, named in the World Team of the 20th Century alongside teamate Bobby Moore

Bobby Moore: Englands only ever world cup winning captain who lifted the European cup winners cup only 1 year before with West Ham, widely regarded as one of the greatest CBs of all time, Pele called him the best CB he ever played against.

Mats Hummels: One of the best CBs in the world right now, style of play likened to Franz Beckenbauer plus speedy, tall and strong. A good foil for Moore

Gianluca Zambrotta: World Cup winning two footed defender who while quality in defense was known for his ability to get forward , there is a reason why in 2006 this multiple time Seria A winner was in the Uefa, Fifpro & Fifa World Cup all star teams of the year.

Dunga: Another World Cup winning captain who just like he did with Brazil will add the steel and determination needed in midfield to allow the forward flair players do their thing

Patrick Viera: European championship & World cup winning invicable Gooner captain and midfield general who was French player of the year, Premierleague player of the year and in the uefa team of that year

Fransisco Gento: Captain of the greatest ever Real Madrid team and oft no.1 in lists of best ever left wingers, he won the European cup a record 6 times, had great speed and scored more than 175 goals for Madrid from midfield

Kaka: Ballon d'Or: 2007, FIFPro World Player of the Year, IFFHS World‘s Best Playmaker: 2007, Serie A Footballer of the Year: 2007, UEFA Team of the Year: 2007 UEFA Champions League Top Scorer & Best forward & Best footballer of the year: 2006–07... the list goes on but it's safe to say he was the best around in 07

Lionel Messi: The best player of all time, you all know how good he is

Fernando Peyroteo: Portuguese legend with the best goals per game ratio in the history of football

Formation:

abEVPtqaoy.jpg

i'll specifically reply to Trippie's gameplan in another post but now focus on my general tactics:

One of the two best GKs ever argueably and imo the other is on the other team. Getting past my defense will be tough but then you have Gordon Banks to somehow defeat, good luck with that.

Typical back four, dependant on opponents strenghts wing backs like Santos & Zambrotta would be expected to get forward as well as defend. Bobby Moore would probably captain the team from CB and would def lead the defense and dealing with Eto'o with the assistance of speedier Hummels. In the form of Dunga they would also have the assistance of a world cup winning DM & Leader in this quest who most likely will tackle Totti also.

Beside Dunga there would be another strong presence giving my side real strenght at its centre in the form of Viera. However Viera much like his long time rival Roy Keane was in his prime much more of a box to box midfielder than he gets the credit for and his surging runs forward could prove just as important as his ability alongside Dunga to provide a base of possesion for my attackers to use.

In attack you then have goals from every angle starting with another great captain this time in the form of Madrids goalscoring LW Gento. In the other wing forward position you then have for my money the best footballer of all time, Lionel Messi. suffice to say any gaps left by Trippie's WBs will be exposed here. Leading the line you then have the guy who scored more goals per game he played in than any other footballer in the history of the sport, Fernando Peyroteo!

Already it sounds like a very solid goal filled attack that should have possesion thanks to a strong midfield but thats before even mentioning that the former best player in the world now back at his peak Kaka would be coming through the center as both a creative and goal threat.

good luck man

My Defense vs Trippie's attack

His attacking gameplan sees Garrincha trying to pull Dunga out of position as he heads up the right wing but Garrincha will already have to contend with the best LB of all time and a man who as Garrincha's team mate knows him and his tricks as well as anyone in the form of N.Santos. If Garrincha comes centrally to try and get Dunga's attention he could then find himself doubled up on by his countrymen or leaving a lot of space for a quality attacking LB like Santos to take advantage of as Trippie's team narrows itself.

Eto'o at CF is obviously the focal point of his attack and he would prove difficult to handle for Hummels I guess but Trippie forgot to mention entirely that I have a 2nd centre back for him to deal with and that he is one the best rated CBs of all time, Bobby Moore with Mats assistance should keep Eto'o quiet especially if his support men are finding it tough.

Why will they find it tough, well lets look at my RB and his LW position, I have one, he doesen't. He does have Totti in a kind of free role though but with a free RB, a 2nd CB and a DM all about to handle his threat along with Viera whom he highlighted as the man he thinks he would have to get away from Totti would find finding space difficult.

My attack vs Trippie's defense

There are goals everywhere in my attacking line and yet looking at his tactics his defenders might be playing quite attacking. He higlighted Carlos Alberto bombing forward in attack but that could leave gaps for goalscoring Madrid Legendary midfield Gento, likewise with no LW Breitner would be expected to provide width on the left for his side but also have to somehow keep Messi quiet. Kohler & Gentile might be good CBs but when expected to also have to watch the likes of Gento & Messi they would probably hope they had someone easy to deal with than the man who has the the best goals per game ratio in the history of football. Yes he does have players in DM who could help out but when they also have to deal with Kaka centrally and the occasional burst forward from Viera and I think they would be seriously struggling.

You can then add to that Zambrotta, who I think has far more defensive quality than my opponent suggests but due to his formation would have little to do in this regard and could get the chance to roam forward into a wing position, a role which he is fully comfortable at. Therfore even if Garrincha could keep N.Santos and his great runs focused on defense 1 of his wing backs who would be expected to get forward a lot would have to often deal with both Zambrotta & Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

voted for bounty hunter

to be honest there isnt going to be a whole lot between a lot of the teams in the draft but I think BH clinches this for me I feel overall his team has a better balance to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its hard to look at Trippies team and not see that massive hole on the left hand side of the pitch. I know Breitner is well able to get forward, but Bounty Hunter highlighted something I already intended to point out in my own match. These attacking full backs are all well and good, but people do realise they are leaving space behind them for the likes of Lionel freakin Messi, don't they?

The attacking side also looks bare. Totti and Garincha look very isolated there and I'm not convinced the midfield will support them enough, they will be too busy doing their own jobs with Messi and Kaka floating about. And frankly, Totti is no Maradona, he will need support against this quality of defender.

Bounty Hunter has Mats Hummels, who shouldn't be near a legends team, but my opinion is that he will win this game, I just can't see past Trippies lack of balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

bh for me. Messi now is better than maradonna 82, closer to the 86 level and the whole of bh's attack is just too good for me, garrincha to get change out of santos as usually in players who are familiar it is the attacker who wins out. really think totti is a weak point here in general play. close, plenty of goals but eto'o should be well marshalled as the right back can tuck in with nobody to mark, leaving both cbs free to watch the frontman.

trippie is just too easy to shut down imo, garrincha the wildcard that could turn it. dont like to see matthaus shot down so early, he is the man to mark messi really, did it to maradona in 90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For me Viera in his prime would buy and sell Valderrama in there, I think the match would hinge on that. It's a serious mismatch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Finished earlier than expected.

Of the front 4 I cannot see any of them tracking back to close down space. Which means I should have the numerical advantage in the centre of the field with my three players once i get the ball past his front line. If i were to just align matthaus and Didi up vs Dunga and Vieira I would have the advantage, having Valderrama there as well creates so much space for me that I cannot see him being able to cope. Valderrama was so tough to get the ball off that i can see him drawing others around him. Didi is a great passer of the ball and Matthaus was perhaps the most complete midfielder ever so they will dominate the game for me.

With me controlling the midfield I can see him struggling to get the ball to his attackers which will mean they will have to drop deep. Much like how Milan nulified barcelona int he first leg of their champions league game this past season.

Yes i dont have a traditional left wing but team is going to play like the Milan side which excelled without any of the 2000's, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Pirlo and Seedorf, played a flat diamond formation with over lapping full backs. The pressure the put on the wingers when the ball went wide meant the full bakcs were rarely left isolated. If they were then it would be out very wide almost on the goalline. As we have seen in recent years when Messi is forced to play this kind of role he struggles to play up the same standard as we are used to.

Totti is going to have time to pick passes, make runs and have space to shoot which if given makes him lethal. Just look at how he can open up space and make it look like he isn't breaking a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Reluctantly went with Bounty Hunter. Two very good teams with little to choose between them. In particular I love their midfields packed with players who can both play and put themselves about. On the downside for Bounty Hunter Hummels doesn't belong in this draft. I'm all for old, obscure players but I'm concerened that Peyroteo's incredible record comes from the Portugese league and he didn't get a chance to do much outside of this. For Trippie that empty left wing is a major concern especially with both Messi there and a great attacking full back in Zambrotta. Eto'o and Totti are only average for this and I think one should have been sacrificed for better team balance. Trippie overall probably has one of the best collection of players in the draft (three best of all time as said) and is probably unlucky to come up against a team which is perfectly set up to take advantage of his main weakness. If his opponent had a weaker right wing or didn't have a very combative midfield he'd probably be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Trippie for me. His team is better setup to get the maximum out of the players he has and that midfield 3 is so absurdly strong he will own the football. Vieira and Dunga are formidable but Matthaus and Didi are two of the best midfielders to ever play the game. And Valderamma would damn near compare to Xavi for ball retention ability.

Messi is totally wasted on the right too. He has to be a false 9 to be the devastating player we know he is. Breitner would hold his own with Matthaus helping out imo.

2-1 to Trippie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Gone for BH. Messi and Kaka with Viera and Dunga behind them gives them too much freedom not to score at least a couple. Peyroteo isn't as well known as other strikers in the draft but he at the very least would be able to put the ball in the net if given a chance. I just feel there is a lot less firepower in Trippie's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Bounty Hunter gets my vote. It's a close call but his attack is astounding and it just about makes the difference. The midfield would end up as a fiercely contested stalemate I reckon, both teams sharing spells of dominance and it would get frantic in the latter stages as the marking loosened. This ends up serving Bounty Hunter better as I feel his attacking unit of Messi, Gento and Kaka is superior. Not overly keen on Totti in that left-of-centre role and I think that Moore would have the ability to track him. Garrincha and Carlos Alberto will have at least some joy on the right, but Nilson Santos and Paco Gento will do damage too. Breitner is at risk of being overloaded by Zambrotta and Messi given that Totti is in front of him. Eto'o against that backline is a worry, and Hummels has dropped clangers in big games. Peyroteo will have enough chances to outweigh that worry though.

dont think ill do many posts like this but heres one
    Trippie wrote: »
    Finished earlier than expected.

Of the front 4 I cannot see any of them tracking back to close down space. Which means I should have the numerical advantage in the centre of the field with my three players once i get the ball past his front line. If i were to just align matthaus and Didi up vs Dunga and Vieira I would have the advantage, having Valderrama there as well creates so much space for me that I cannot see him being able to cope. Valderrama was so tough to get the ball off that i can see him drawing others around him. Didi is a great passer of the ball and Matthaus was perhaps the most complete midfielder ever so they will dominate the game for me.

You might not expect my front 4 to track back too much but why would they need to when they have Dunga & Viera shielding a defence that includes the likes of B.Moore & N.Santos. No left sided attacker to go with Eto'o and Garrincha would see me with a numerical advantage against your attackers and them struggling to keep any posession when they have it even if your CM trio are set out to win possesion

With me controlling the midfield I can see him struggling to get the ball to his attackers which will mean they will have to drop deep. Much like how Milan nulified barcelona int he first leg of their champions league game this past season.

having a strong DM base doesent necessarily mean you will control possession, my attackers are the type to retain possession as well as put the ball in the net. This is something I think yours will struggle to do against my defense and thus my midfielders should get more time on the ball. They would also have a far more creative and attacking player in Kaka to use as an outlet for attacks than Valderama who always seemed good for the never really great columbia but never really played at a huge club or made a huge impact outside of the MLS. Then add in that your formation would allow my lads the extra outlet of a free WB who can get forward as he pleases and is as used to and good at playing in an advanced role as Zambrotta is.
    Yes i dont have a traditional left wing but team is going to play like the Milan side which excelled without any of the 2000's, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Pirlo and Seedorf, played a flat diamond formation with over lapping full backs. The pressure the put on the wingers when the ball went wide meant the full bakcs were rarely left isolated. If they were then it would be out very wide almost on the goalline. As we have seen in recent years when Messi is forced to play this kind of role he struggles to play up the same standard as we are used to.

If your CMs are also trying to cover my wing forwards they will surely leave space for Kaka create in or Viera to surge into centrally. Messi & Gento are 2 of the best attackers of all time and despite what you say about likening it to Milan your formation would seem to rely heavily on the width provided by Breitner & Alberto getting forward. No matter what gaps are bound to be left there especially when you have opposing fullbacks with the attacking quality of N.Santos & Zambrotta (who has no opposing number against him) attacking them as well as two of the best attackers of all time.

Totti is going to have time to pick passes, make runs and have space to shoot which if given makes him lethal. Just look at how he can open up space and make it look like he isn't breaking a sweat.

Totti is a great player but (anyone, even worse players have youtube vids making em look the balls) honestly I think he was the wrong pick for your team, he means it lacks balance or atleast his inclusion at least adds to that as one of your CMs could have been replaced with a LM. He also dosent fit into the milan type midfield four you outlined above, none of those 4 were like Totti or Garrincha, they were all less out and out attackers and therefore that side was more balanced with more on offer in midfield.

I think I might have struggled against many teams in this as most dont rate the Hummels pick but your attack has renderd that a moot point imo, while my attack is brimming with goals and would be really hard for not only your CBs to deal with but also your WBs who I think your expecting too much of especially Breitner whos got too much attacking responsibility in a formation like yours to also be in charge of dealing with Messi & Zambrotta doubling up on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Messi on the right will largely be cutting in. That's not the only things he'll do, of course, but it will be a large part of the gameplan. So what better way to stife his cutting onside than with three deep midfielders. *coughChelseacough*. As good as Messi is, and I'm with you that he is the greatest player in history, or certainly will be by the end of his career, if he's got no space, he can do very little as a threat, as Chelsea proved. What I do consider risky is man-marking him with Gentile on top of this, considering who is waiting in the box, but having 3 deep midfielders will lighten the load on Kohler I guess.

Not only that, but his numerical advantage will aid against the others. Kaka will again suffer from a lack of space, but I think it is through him goals will come for BH, with Kaka drawing out a midfielder, giving him some space to slip in Peyroteo, Messi or Gento. I don't see Peyroteo having a problem scoring but it is supplying him that will be the issue.

I don't like Trippie's inside positioning of Totti, I think that puts too much work on Breitner's shoulders and opens up the threat of Zambrotta. However, Zambrotta and co are still up against 5/6 guys if Breitner's beaten. Anyhow, back to attacking, I think a key feature of Trippie's attack is the pace of Eto'o and Garrincha (And I guess, Carlos Alberto). I see BH's team commiting a number of men forward to try and find the gaps in the midfield three. This leaves them threatened on the counter and Moore and Hummels, excellent defenders as they are, aren't the fastest. Yet, between them and the very good fullbacks, for BH has an excellent defense, they should still be able to stifle a number of attacks.

So a low scoring game, both defenses, especially Trippie's, are strong and capable of dealing with the attacking threats. But as I have to pick one, Trippie for me, just. I think when it comes down to it his defense will cope slightly better and his attack will fare slightly better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I genuinely can't decide on this one. I've come back to the thread a few times and have left on each occasion still not able to decide on either team.

Will probably have to skip out on voting for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Going for BH. Think there's a better overall balance to his team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

G.K. wrote: »
    Messi on the right will largely be cutting in. That's not the only things he'll do, of course, but it will be a large part of the gameplan. So what better way to stife his cutting onside than with three deep midfielders. *coughChelseacough*. As good as Messi is, and I'm with you that he is the greatest player in history, or certainly will be by the end of his career, if he's got no space, he can do very little as a threat, as Chelsea proved. What I do consider risky is man-marking him with Gentile on top of this, considering who is waiting in the box, but having 3 deep midfielders will lighten the load on Kohler I guess.

Not only that, but his numerical advantage will aid against the others. Kaka will again suffer from a lack of space, but I think it is through him goals will come for BH, with Kaka drawing out a midfielder, giving him some space to slip in Peyroteo, Messi or Gento. I don't see Peyroteo having a problem scoring but it is supplying him that will be the issue.

I don't like Trippie's inside positioning of Totti, I think that puts too much work on Breitner's shoulders and opens up the threat of Zambrotta. However, Zambrotta and co are still up against 5/6 guys if Breitner's beaten. Anyhow, back to attacking, I think a key feature of Trippie's attack is the pace of Eto'o and Garrincha (And I guess, Carlos Alberto). I see BH's team commiting a number of men forward to try and find the gaps in the midfield three. This leaves them threatened on the counter and Moore and Hummels, excellent defenders as they are, aren't the fastest. Yet, between them and the very good fullbacks, for BH has an excellent defense, they should still be able to stifle a number of attacks.

So a low scoring game, both defenses, especially Trippie's, are strong and capable of dealing with the attacking threats. But as I have to pick one, Trippie for me, just. I think when it comes down to it his defense will cope slightly better and his attack will fare slightly better too.

Kaka didn't suffer from a lack of pace in his prime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

But I didn't say pace...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

G.K. wrote: »
    But I didn't say pace...
    I just went full retard,my humblest apologies GK..at least I got to post the vid

69% of the vote means im the 2nd quarter-finalist but despite me arguing against it that was still a quality team Trippie

• Advertisement
Advertisement