Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Okay. This I condone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Saying the act itself "promotes" rape culture is inaccurate, however, indecent exposure is often associated with other sexualised crimes because it is on the low end of the same spectrum. It comes from the same impulse - the creepy alleyway flasher isn't doing it because he thinks the women he targets are going to enjoy the show, he's doing it because he gets a thrill from imposing on their personal bubble in a sexualised way. It's an act of sexualised psychological aggression against a stranger, even if it's not a physical one. So while it's nowhere near the same tier as rape, it isn't at all true to suggest there's no relationship at all between the two.

What could be said to "promote rape culture" would be if, for instance, somebody were to indecently expose themselves to someone, then hurl abuse at her when she turns the tables, only for a bunch of people's immediate reaction be to try and minimise it as much as possible, or rush to explain how anybody who sees a problem with it is at fault.

Nobody said that. What most people are saying (in relation to the OP) is that she was just as bad as the guy because she did the exact same thing.
    Others are opposing the idea that this is part of a rape culture and not just the actions of one individual idiot.
    You are attacking an argument that nobody is making. Nobody here has said the guy was in the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

If some dude got an unsolicited self photo from a woman on one of these sites, would the same people condone the dude, if he forwarded the photo onto the womans father?

starling wrote: »
    There are more than seven vocal, militant neo-Nazis in the world. Do they represent your views about Jews or POC? Would you be okay with people assuming they do just because you're a White man?

Neo nazism and feminism are two ideologies. Being white is not. Also, neo nazism isnt just the preserve of white people. Its huge in Peru and mein kampf is a big seller in India and Turkey. Trite comment.

Oh, and white people are persons of colour too. We are not translucent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Nice whataboutery there, but I think we can all agree that the vast majority of rapes are perpetrated by men upon women. A discussion of rape culture will often focus on messages about women in society for that reason. Male on male rape involves different factors.

Guess we have to since you just redefined rape as something that only happens to women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Maybe we should take a quick poll.

Who here has been sexually assaulted or raped?

I'll raise my hand.
    I'm probably not the only one but I'll be happy to talk about the trauma that I've dealt with for many years because I didn't feel as if my body was my own body. It is about control and taking away a person's right to say no. I should be able to say no, I don't want to have sex with you. I should be able to say no, I don't want to sex images of your penis.

Sending a picture of your penis isn't the same thing as forcing your penis into someone. However, the root of the action is why the woman who received those pictures reacted and called it part of the rape culture.

LOL.

I really think counselling is where you need to be not AH with stupid thinly veiled threads so you can take a pop at men for being immature, rude and dimwitted and try justify that by bringing it full circle to a serious incident of sexual assault you experienced.

Personal Issues is the other way.

As for the topic at hand, wow newsflash guy sends penis picture to girl. I'd say that only happens around a billion times a year globally. And i'm sure for every 10 girls who are disgusted by it you'll have 1 who will say "niiiiiiiiice". Seen one, seen em all. Delete, move on.

This guy fell into the age-old trap of forgetting that a girl tends not to care if you're hung like a horse or hung like a seahorse unless she actually likes you and then it may become relevant.

All his text proved is there are always going to be chancers in love with their penis hoping it will get them laid. All she proved is that 2 wrongs still = 2 wrongs and why retaliate against 1 person when you can hurt an innocent party while you're at it.

Mind you all of the above is coming from the Poster who said she advocated arming teachers with guns in the wake of Sandy Hook. Carry on, give the teachers guns and send the mothers all the crap their sons did, that'll teach em......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

psinno wrote: »
    Guess we have to since you just redefined rape as something that only happens to women.

Do you think the post you quoted supports your response?

If so, I really and genuinely think you should investigate your literacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

LOL.

I really think counselling is where you need to be not AH with stupid thinly veiled threads so you can take a pop at men for being immature, rude and dimwitted and try justify that by bringing it full circle to a serious incident of sexual assault you experienced.

As for the topic at hand, wow newsflash guy sends penis picture to girl. I'd say that only happens around a billion times a year globally. And i'm sure for every 10 girls who are disgusted by it you'll have 1 who will say "niiiiiiiiice". Seen one, seen em all. Delete, move on.

This guy fell into the age-old trap of forgetting that a girl tends not to care if you're hung like a horse or hung like a seahorse unless she actually likes you and then it may become relevant.

All his text proved is there are always going to be chancers in love with their penis hoping it will get them laid. All she proved is that 2 wrongs still = 2 wrongs and why retaliate against 1 person when you can hurt an innocent party while you're at it.

Mind you all of the above is coming from the Poster who said she advocated arming teachers with guns in the wake of Sandy Hook. Carry on, give the teachers guns and send the mothers all the crap their sons did, that'll teach em......

Show me the post where I said that I advocate that teachers arm themselves with guns. Then again, that is another thread, but feel free to show me where I wrote that. I'd like to see my words again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Jimmy 5F

LOL.

All I can say is thank you.

That was a much needed dose of common sense for this thread.

Show me the post where I said that I advocate that teachers arm themselves with guns. Then again, that is another thread, but feel free to show me where I wrote that. I'd like to see my words again.

I'm not going back to that whole thread again!! You love your old debate on guns and the right to have them so i'm not going there. Maybe tomorrow when i have time!

Bottom line penis picture = rape culture = absolute nonsense.

As for "let's take a poll, hands up who has been sexually assaulted" - that to me is hugely offensive in itself. If you have issues take them somewhere and get help for them, dont come on After Hours of all places looking for girls to say "yes i have been sexually assaulted" to help justify this nonsense thread about an immature guy in love with his willy.

Being sexually assaulted is not something to have a poll about. It's a deeply upsetting, life changing thing and should never be used in the manner you tried to use it.

Simple, he thinks he has a big one, the girl doesnt care. Delete, block, goodbye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

She could've been the bigger person by just relaying back the idiot's personal info, showing him how it easy it was to track him down and show him the possible consequences rather than immediately sending that pic onwards.

That is, if this actually happened at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Where exactly did I say that? I said the vast majority of rapes involve a man forcing sex on a woman. And that the culture often sends subtle messages that allow this kind of thing to happen and to be difficult to prosecute. Did you not read my post or something? I can see you're desperate to keep up the whataboutery but I think you should give it up now.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Do you think the post you quoted supports your response?

If so, I really and genuinely think you should investigate your literacy.

Are you referring to my post at 21:18 or 23:18? If it is the former then it would be much clearer if you replied directly to that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Debbie from PortLaois has just popped up on my screen in her underwear, telling me she is hot and horny...have I been raped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nobody said that.

Said which? Nobody tried to minimise it, or nobody tried to fault the people who think his behaviour is out of order?

Never mind shur, I have both bases covered:
    DarkJager wrote: »
    That's one feminist who's going to have a long lonely life with her cats and vibrator for company. ****ing fool.
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks. Some people are more liberal with their sexuality than others. Some people swap sexual pictures. Are you honestly not aware of that fact?
    WilyCoyote wrote: »
    In this thread it's easy to spot the women that can't keep a boyfriend or never had a boyfriend.
    Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It seems the woman is a grammer nazi as well as a feminazi.
    LOL.

As for the topic at hand, wow newsflash guy sends penis picture to girl. I'd say that only happens around a billion times a year globally.

That was just a quick skim though, I can have another look if you need more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Sent them to his mam :)

If some dude got an unsolicited self photo from a woman on one of these sites, would the same people condone the dude, if he forwarded the photo onto the womans father?

We've already addressed that, read the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This thread is still going?

We're all still agreed that it's funny that this happened though, right?

Ok. Good.

Night y'all.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Debbie from PortLaois has just popped up on my screen in her underwear, telling me she is hot and horny...have I been raped?

Depends in what way she popped up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Said which? Nobody tried to minimise it, or nobody tried to fault the people who think his behaviour is out of order?

Never mind shur, I have both bases covered:

That was just a quick skim though, I can have another look if you need more?

thats not what any of those posts are saying. once again youre attacking an argument that nobody is making

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Are you referring to my post at 21:18 or 23:18? If it is the former then it would be much clearer if you replied directly to that post.

No, the post I quoted is the post I meant. That is why I quoted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

To be honest
    I don't give a flying **** about all the rape culture bollocks etc whether it consitutes sexual assault or not in this case.

I'm just delighted that the kind of arsehole who sends random women a pic of his dick and then calls them a prude for not liking it is getting shamed.

If there was some guy sending his mother pictures like that I'd say he'd be pretty pissed off. Might make him think about his attitude towards women.

On the flip side, if random women were sending me pictures of their tits I'd be ****ing delighted.
    Its a funny world

I'm not going back to that whole thread again!! You love your old debate on guns and the right to have them so i'm not going there. Maybe tomorrow when i have time!

Bottom line penis picture = rape culture = absolute nonsense.

As for "let's take a poll, hands up who has been sexually assaulted" - that to me is hugely offensive in itself. If you have issues take them somewhere and get help for them, dont come on After Hours of all places looking for girls to say "yes i have been sexually assaulted" to help justify this nonsense thread about an immature guy in love with his willy.

Being sexually assaulted is not something to have a poll about. It's a deeply upsetting, life changing thing and should never be used in the manner you tried to use it.

Simple, he thinks he has a big one, the girl doesnt care. Delete, block, goodbye!

Go ahead and find where I wrote it. You brought that **** up in this thread, so you should back up what you assert. You have me confused with another poster and I suggest you go and find the words you said that I wrote and prove that I said them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Both of them are fools IMO, did he honestly think sending her a pic of his cock was going to get him a date or laid.

And as for her sending an old woman who had nothing to do with any of it a pic of her sons penis was uncalled for.

B0jangles wrote: »
    No, the post I quoted is the post I meant. That is why I quoted it.

It would probably make more sense to quote the other post but I guess it doesn't matter really.

Go ahead and find where I wrote it. You brought that **** up in this thread, so you should back up what you assert. You have me confused with another poster and I suggest you go and find the words you said that I wrote and prove that I said them.

or what? you gonna tell my mammy i'm the big bad wolf who misquoted you on a web forum?

The only one trivialising rape and sexual assault in this thread is you. Sexual assault is nothing to be flippant about, it's a serious, potentially life-defining incident for some. It's not something you bring to AH and say "hands up who's been sexually assaulted. because i have!!"

Attention seeking nonsense.

As for power, a guy sending unsolicited pics of his willy to a girl has NO POWER. The girl has all the power here. Delete the picture and block. Or say "it's average". Or say thanks for the pic but i've seen better.

Any number of replies or non-replies are more powerful than attempting to shame the immature half-wit by getting his mother involved.

It's the type of crap children do at 5. Someone robs your football and you go rat them out to their parents.

• Advertisement

or what? you gonna tell my mammy i'm the big bad wolf who misquoted you on a web forum?

The only one trivialising rape and sexual assault in this thread is you. Sexual assault is nothing to be flippant about, it's a serious, potentially life-defining incident for some. It's not something you bring to AH and say "hands up who's been sexually assaulted. because i have!!"

Attention seeking nonsense.

As for power, a guy sending unsolicited pics of his willy to a girl has NO POWER. The girl has all the power here. Delete the picture and block. Or say "it's average". Or say thanks for the pic but i've seen better.

Any number of replies or non-replies are more powerful than attempting to shame the immature half-wit by getting his mother involved.

It's the type of crap children do at 5. Someone robs your football and you go rat them out to their parents.

Bull****. Saying that sending unsolicited pictures of your penis is a form of flirtation is being flippant. Saying that some posters can't get boyfriends or laid or whatever is being flippant.

Because of my own trauma and my own experience receiving unsolicited penis pics, I know how the girl felt when she wrote that it perpetuates 'rape culture'. I see her argument. I found humor in the fact that she sent the image to his mother. Two consenting adults can engage in sexting, exchange graphic images, or share in casual sex. But when one person resists or declines continuing the flirtation or encounter further, the other person should back off and respect that person's decision not to pursue it. It was a vengeful act committed by the girl, yes, but maybe the next time he won't go sending his little man off to women who aren't interested in seeing it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82239878&postcount=411

Ok you said "wait, your proposal is to arm teachers?" , that was his reply (which said some teachers be armed) and your response was the above "would that require training them".

So yes i am slightly wrong in that you didn't suggest it or condone it but didn't exactly rule it out either.

Anyway you also said you're a lawyer and this idiot of a girl texting a picture of a willy to his mother is against the law. Thought lawyers are supposed to, ya know, support upholding the law.

Anyway i'm done, you lost me at "put your hands up for detroit if you've been sexually assaulted". Shameless trivialisation of sexual assault for self-justification.

Bull****. Saying that sending unsolicited pictures of your penis is a form of flirtation is being flippant. Saying that some posters can't get boyfriends or laid or whatever is being flippant.

Because of my own trauma and my own experience receiving unsolicited penis pics, I know how the girl felt when she wrote that it perpetuates 'rape culture'. I see her argument. I found humor in the fact that she sent the image to his mother. Two consenting adults can engage in sexting, exchange graphic images, or share in casual sex. But when one person resists or declines continuing the flirtation or encounter further, the other person should back off and respect that person's decision not to pursue it. It was a vengeful act committed by the girl, yes, but maybe the next time he won't go sending his little man off to women who aren't interested in seeing it.

Pretty sure, no actually very sure, his mother did not consent to being sent a picture of his willy either.

For a lawyer that's a pretty ineffectual weak argument there.

You know if she was really that enraged by it she probably could have just gone to the cops and said 'look this dude sent me a picture of his willy and i dont appreciate it". But no, retaliate and drag the mother into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Pretty sure, no actually very sure, his mother did not consent to being sent a picture of his willy either.

You know if she was really that enraged by it she probably could have just gone to the cops and said 'look this dude sent me a picture of his willy and i dont appreciate it". But no, retaliate and drag the mother into it.

And now his mother can go to the cops, which is exactly what she should do.

His mum should probably just send it to her mum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Would she be allowed to show the cops the picture though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I wish my dick was big enough that I could show it off

:-(

This makes zero sense.

If, as the OP maintains, sending unsolicited pics of private parts is wrong, hurtful, and perpetuates rape culture (lol?) then why does it make zero sense?

If it's wrong for the guy to do it in the 1st place, it remains wrong for the girl to do it.

Look, this whole thing is a nonsense but if someone texted my mother a picture of a penis, i'd hope to god she'd delete it and forget about it lol. But if she was genuinely upset about it or felt it was any of the things the OP is saying it is, then sure go to the cops and make a complaint.

Tit for tat retaliation wont do much good to stop "rape culture". The guy might think twice about sending his willy to girls if the cops gave him a warning.

If, as the OP maintains, sending unsolicited pics of private parts is wrong, hurtful, and perpetuates rape culture (lol?) then why does it make zero sense?

If it's wrong for the guy to do it in the 1st place, it remains wrong for the girl to do it.

Look, this whole thing is a nonsense but if someone texted my mother a picture of a penis, i'd hope to god she'd delete it and forget about it lol. But if she was genuinely upset about it or felt it was any of the things the OP is saying it is, then sure go to the cops and make a complaint.

Tit for tat retaliation wont do much good to stop "rape culture". The guy might think twice about sending his willy to girls if the cops gave him a warning.

His own mother is hardly going to report the other woman for unsolicited sexual images of her own son, or sexual harassment where pics of her son is used.

The whole story is bolloxs. What I find interesting is the agenda and opinion pushing of posters here. Jumping on the back of a non story for their own motives.

His own mother is hardly going to report the other woman for unsolicited sexual images of her own son, or sexual harassment where pics of her son is used.

The whole story is bolloxs. What I find interesting is the agenda and opinion pushing of posters here. Jumping on the back of a non story for their own motives.

totally agree, the OP has a thinly veiled humourous story upon which she wanted to push a serious issue onto the unsuspecting folks of AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭The Rad Runner

Maybe we should take a quick poll.

Who here has been sexually assaulted or raped?

From the poster who has brought us such great lines as:
    Unless you are also a member of the Black American community then I dont give two ****s if you think it isnt racist.
    As much as I don't agree with either of the peoples actions involved in this, I really think people are pushing it a bit saying it is fueling 'rape culture'. It seems the woman posted up the message with his image unedited to the net, so in my book shes as bad as him.

So are you "done" yet? Cause parachuting into a thread just to reopen an argument from another, completely unrelated thread was a bit d1ckish IMO, as is your generally aggressive attitude.

totally agree, the OP has a thinly veiled humourous story upon which she wanted to push a serious issue onto the unsuspecting folks of AH.

Or the OP has been in the same position as the woman in the story and has an understanding of how these kind of actions can affect the recipient.
    Oh, but that doesn't fit with your vendetta. Sorry, carry on......

I am not specifically even taking about the OP but others on both sides of a nonsense argument, mad to get digs in. Trying to defend the inner workings of two idiots on very limited information. Pushing agendas all round. Some fights are not worth fighting and this is certainly one of them imo.

• Advertisement

From the poster who has brought us such great lines as:
    As much as I don't agree with either of the peoples actions involved in this, I really think people are pushing it a bit saying it is fueling 'rape culture'. It seems the woman posted up the message with his image unedited to the net, so in my book shes as bad as him.

You know, KW and I don't always agree on every single topic, but it's quite petty to go digging through her old posts to try to use them against her in a completely different thread.

You know, KW and I don't always agree on every single topic, but it's quite petty to go digging through her old posts to try to use them against her in a completely different thread.

Perhaps you're right, but it's par for the course for her two pals Scooby doo and Scrappy doo, so I feel no ill in calling someone out on their methods of debate. Got to have someone watching the watchers too ;)

Or the OP has been in the same position as the woman in the story and has an understanding of how these kind of actions can affect the recipient.
    Oh, but that doesn't fit with your vendetta. Sorry, carry on......

no vendetta just dislike duplicitous attention seeking posts.

"put your hands up if you've been sexually assaulted?"

WTF sort of comment is that from someone who claims to have been sexually assaulted. You don't go conducting "polls" and asking random people on the interweb to share a traumatic experience in their life to justify your opinion.

And if she received a text of a willy she could have a) deleted it or b) went to the cops if she felt strongly enough about it. The power is always with the recipient not the sender. It's a sign of weakness if the sender needs to show his willy to get laid, not strength.

And yes i'm done night :)

I am not specifically even taking about the OP but others on both sides of a nonsense argument, mad to get digs in. Trying to defend the inner workings of two idiots on very limited information. Pushing agendas all round. Some fights are not worth fighting and this is certainly one of them imo.
    You're certainly entitled to have that opinion about the argument itself, and god knows these kind of threads do have a tendency to descend into a total trainwreck, but IMHO that doesn't excuse some of the decidedly uncivil behaviour going on in this thread. Do we only have to follow the charter when the topic is "important?"

Why not? On one thread she says I am black and if you are not, I dont care for your opinions and another she says I am a rape victim and if you are not, I dont care for your opinions.

The poster is simply pointing out a pattern.

You're certainly entitled to have that opinion about the argument itself, and god knows these kind of threads do have a tendency to descend into a total trainwreck, but IMHO that doesn't excuse some of the decidedly uncivil behaviour going on in this thread. Do we only have to follow the charter when the topic is "important?"

Agreed. There have been a few boarder line uncivil posts alright. Attacking the poster instead of the post is one that comes to mind and you are nearly all guilty of that.

If you wish to debate on this level without being overly abusive, then I don't have too much of a problem with it, however about my personal feelings on the subject matter.

I have Rad Runner on ignore. He/She loves me too deeply.

From reading your response to RR, I see that people are digging through my posting history and bringing other topics into this one. I'm not bothered by it. I invited one of them to do so, and the rest is there for everyone to read through.

I just think it is rather sad that not only one but two posters have decided to push those other comments into this thread. I think that's a bit over-done, but that's just me.

Perhaps you're right, but it's par for the course for her two pals Scooby doo and Scrappy doo, so I feel no ill in calling someone out on their methods of debate. Got to have someone watching the watchers too ;)

Dude i honestly have no idea what you're talking about, but I was reading and contributing to this thread on the basis of the actual posts, not the opinions of other posters on unrelated topics. I mean not to be a backseat mod or anything, but if you have a problem with someone else's behaviour, wouldn't it be better just to report it, rather than just do the same thing yourself? I was going by the whole play the ball, not the player idea. I just think any discussion in general would be less of a trainwreck that way, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

stimpson wrote: »
    PM Sent

Phallic Message?

• Advertisement

Dude i honestly have no idea what you're talking about, but I was reading and contributing to this thread on the basis of the actual posts, not the opinions of other posters on unrelated topics. I mean not to be a backseat mod or anything, but if you have a problem with someone else's behaviour, wouldn't it be better just to report it, rather than just do the same thing yourself? I was going by the whole play the ball, not the player idea. I just think any discussion in general would be less of a trainwreck that way, no?

Her post wasn't warranting reporting. I am just pointing out, as Norfolk E said, a bad pattern in the way that particular poster posts here.

Advertisement