Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayOn + UnblockUS with xmbc

• 12-06-2013 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I was wondering if anyone here has used the above combination with xmbc? I'm looking to cut the cord and have everything through xmbc, but the netflix is unsupported at with the current xmbc and I would like to watch US TV channels too. PlayOn provides this and theoretically if you bundle this with UnBlockUS, you should have a kickass HTPC running xmbc. Any thoughts?

There's a tutorial here on how to get netflix through PlayON onto xmbc here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I am trying to set this up at the moment myself. Will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. As long as you can set the DNS settings in PlayOn. Or if it uses the default Windows settings. If it doesn't a more traditional VPN service should do it.

I see PlayOn transcodes the Netflix stream when it's sharing it. Any idea the hit you'll take on quality? The link you posted said its minor but for $40 $50 I'd prefer if I wasn't paying in terms of picture quality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. As long as you can set the DNS settings in PlayOn. Or if it uses the default Windows settings. If it doesn't a more traditional VPN service should do it.

I see PlayOn transcodes the Netflix stream when it's sharing it. Any idea the hit you'll take on quality? The link you posted said its minor but for $40 $50 I'd prefer if I wasn't paying in terms of picture quality too.

I was reading somewhere that only SD Netflix stream works, no HD so quite a hit on quality

Advertisement