Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Notes/Resources

Options
  • 12-06-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

A lot of people seem to struggle with Science.
    So post any notes/ resources eg. websites with notes on Science here :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭claryfray

I am using this right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

I have a question. Do I have to learn off loads of chemical equations or is there a way to actually work out what the answer would be based on the equation itself. Kind of like saying: Do I know 1 + 1 = 2 because I learned it off by heart, or do I know it because 1 + 1 = 2 can actually be worked out for someone at my level.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    I have a question. Do I have to learn off loads of chemical equations or is there a way to actually work out what the answer would be based on the equation itself. Kind of like saying: Do I know 1 + 1 = 2 because I learned it off by heart, or do I know it because 1 + 1 = 2 can actually be worked out for someone at my level.

You'll have to learn the equations but for balancing them it's just common sense. Same no. of each element on each side so it's not that hard

• Advertisement

You'll have to learn the equations but for balancing them it's just common sense. Same no. of each element on each side so it's not that hard

I don't feel like it's entirely common sense. I'm not sure I ever quite got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

I don't feel like it's entirely common sense. I'm not sure I ever quite got it.

Yeah me too. I looked at about 5 balancing chemical equations videos on YouTube once and never understood it. Also our teacher is so useless, he can't teach Science for his life to be honest so there's no hope in hell he can teach balancing chemical equations.

It's only 3 marks though which is 0.5% of your grade so I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

How many experiments need to be learned?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

LawdyLad wrote: »
    How many experiments need to be learned?

Every mandatory experiment and most "simple experiments" I think. Guys, How do I cram 46 chapters anyways. I've been trying to do it for a week now but I just keep procrastinating and studying other subjects. Unless I get 35/35% in the coursework, I can don't know how to scrape a B in Science

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

So guys for chemistry they usually ask of an element and to draw its atom but i cant memorise 92 elements in one night, i know for a fact that at the back of the formula book there is a table of the 92 elements however they dont show the atomic number, just some large number instead. Can someone tell me how to deal with this situation?

• Advertisement

So guys for chemistry they usually ask of an element and to draw its atom but i cant memorise 92 elements in one night, i know for a fact that at the back of the formula book there is a table of the 92 elements however they dont show the atomic number, just some large number instead. Can someone tell me how to deal with this situation?

Don't they give you a log tables for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kaylee101

The atomic no is the One on top of the elements name so u dont need to learn them

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Trait

You definitely won't need to know 92 elements, elements beyond the first 30 are never asked

Yeah me too. I looked at about 5 balancing chemical equations videos on YouTube once and never understood it. Also our teacher is so useless, he can't teach Science for his life to be honest so there's no hope in hell he can teach balancing chemical equations.

It's only 3 marks though which is 0.5% of your grade so I don't care.

Say you have 3 oxygen on one side, and the other has 1, you have to balance it, so make the side which has 1 have 3 by muliplying etc. On our course they're not that difficult :P

Don't they give you a log tables for that?

yes

Say you have 3 oxygen on one side, and the other has 1, you have to balance it, so make the side which has 1 have 3 by muliplying etc. On our course they're not that difficult :P

What? I don't recall ever doing anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brisingr

I read this and got confused... pretty screwed.
    Though I thought I was screwed for History and I owned that paper.
    Personally, I find the best notes are the ones you write yourself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

Does anyone have a clue how to do those questions where you have to find the missing weight from one side of a metre stick?

An example's in 2007 Q8 (C) HL exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Lol for history i just learned the age of explorations, renaissance(first 2 pages) and reformation and i seemed to have down pretty well ;) I think 95% of the country learned of martin luther and christopher columbus

Stooped wrote: »
    Does anyone have a clue how to do those questions where you have to find the missing weight from one side of a metre stick?

An example's in 2007 Q8 (C) HL exam papers.

It's balanced, so one side equals the other.

30cm x F = 40cm x 3N

30cm x F = 120

30cm x F/30 = 120/30

F = 4

• Advertisement
Advertisement