Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how much are you allowed in your bank?

• 12-06-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

anyone know how much savings you're allowed to have (well its not even mine its my partners but had to send in his statements as well for my jobseekers claim)

anyone know how much you can have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Anything over €20,000 in savings is means assessed on certain payments - Job Seekers Allowance etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

ah ok have nowhere near that so does that mean it should be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

should be fine if no other source of income/savings
    Couples

If your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant has a social welfare payment in their own right (except Child Benefit, Disablement Pension, guardian's payments, Supplementary Welfare Allowance, Domiciliary Care Allowance and half-rate Carer's Allowance) or is on a FAS or VTOS course and getting a payment in their own right you cannot claim an Increase for a Qualified Adult for them.

This means that the maximum you can be paid is the maximum Jobseeker’s Allowance payment for a single person plus a half-rate allowance for each qualified child. (Your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant will get a half-rate payment for each qualified child with their payment.)

In addition only 50% of your combined means are taken into account in the means test for your Jobseeker’s Allowance - in other words your combined means are halved. (The other half will be taken into account in the means test for your partner's payment if your partner is getting a means-tested payment.)

However, if you are claiming Jobseeker's Allowance and your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant is getting of one of the social welfare payments listed below, the total amount paid to you as a couple cannot be more than the maximum amount paid to one person (including adult and child dependants) on one social welfare payment.

Illness Benefit
    Disablement Pension (when paid with Illness Benefit or Incapacity Supplement)
    Injury Benefit
    Invalidity Pension
    State Pension (Non-Contributory)
    State Pension (Contributory)
    State Pension (Transition)
    Jobseeker's Benefit
    Jobseeker's Allowance

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test_for_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For a couple the disregard is €40,000.

ok and since I originally applied he has been offered and started a job, I've let them know but haven't heard anything back regarding that yet.. so can I still get a jobseekers payment now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

For a couple the disregard is €40,000.

Incorrect its €20,000.

ok and since I originally applied he has been offered and started a job, I've let them know but haven't heard anything back regarding that yet.. so can I still get a jobseekers payment now?

You can still pursue you jsa claim but you need to let sw know that your partner is working and you will have to provide 3 x recent payslips as his earnings will be assessed as means on your claim.

but he hasn't been paid yet? and won't be till end of month. I gave them details of what his salary will be but its only a 3 month internship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

eastbono wrote: »
    Incorrect its €20,000.

Thank for that. I was mixing up the disregard with another scheme.

but he hasn't been paid yet? and won't be till end of month. I gave them details of what his salary will be but its only a 3 month internship

His earnings will be assessed against your claim. Once this paid internship is completed you will need to let sw know again and they will remove the means from his earnings from your claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement