Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed on ammunition choice for 25-06

Options
  • 12-06-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. A friend bought a new Zoli Bavarian Lux in caliber 25-06. He got it factory threaded and steel magazine on request. He is very happy with it.
    He is firing 120grain Remington core locks and is getting half inch groups at 100 yards easy. its a 24 inch barrel 1:10 twist. The rifle is new so not broken in yet but he tried 117 grain Hornady SST and they are all over the shop at the moment, any suggestion on what ammunition this Zoli rifle likes best as he rather keep away from soft points. He will be picking up a box of Hornady GMX 90 grain to test them out. Suggestions on 25-06 ammo would be great.
    Purpose is he wants a round to do both deer and foxs accurately. Not staying with soft points

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

Try out the federal 85 gr BT. They would be a very good fox round. If he's lucky they will shoot the same point of impact as the core lokt. Best of both worlds then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Best is buy a bunch of different brands and bullet weights and try them out to see which one the gun shoots best with.Not all guns will give the same results with one brand of ammo.
    Pity reloading isnt an option here at the moment.25.06 is a re loaders dream of a calibre.You could literally fine tune a round to the gun.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I have used factory loads and reloads in the 25-06

For factory ammo i would recomend the 100 grain nosler ballistic tip Federal ammo, it is a great round in the 25-06.

Also the 85 grain nosler ballistic tip, great round for neck shooting wouldnt recomend cheasting deer with them.

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

1/2" at 100 yards isn't accurate enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

Thanks very much guys for your input. I agree with all the posts above. about the Nosler 100 grain that seems to be the best all rounder for his job. I'm going to pass on the information. on last comment saying 1/2" at 100 yards isn't accurate enough? Yes it is but this rifle can do better and i personally dont like soft points either does the owner of the 25-06 although they will kill. My rifle loves SST and GMX from hornady through a Tikka Cal.243 .
    Thanks again civdef Grizzly 45 silverfox1 and DR6.5 ;)

• Advertisement

civdef wrote: »
    1/2" at 100 yards isn't accurate enough?

Im just of the phone to him. He said the 1st 3 shots that gun fired out of the box was 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with them Remington core lock. very impressive accuracy. Make one think what will she do with the right polymer tipped round

Some going out of a stalking rifle alright. I don't think I've ever seen a zoli rifle. Can't fault it's accuracy anyway. I checked it out on google. Nice looking too.
    It has the look of a steyr about it.

silverfox1 wrote: »
    Some going out of a stalking rifle alright. I don't think I've ever seen a zoli rifle. Can't fault it's accuracy anyway. I checked it out on google. Nice looking too.
    It has the look of a steyr about it.
    Hows things. hes ordered 100 grain nosler ballistic tip Federal and 90grain Hornady GMX Superformance. He tried the 117 grain SST and 2 rounds were kissing then 3rd one went an inch to the right. I seen that happen before. Its a fine rifle. He claims the bolt is extreamly slick and easy to cycle and engage. They come with their own mounts. think he said they were 180 euro. the rifle i think costs 1800euro. Hes happy out. He's Swarovski glass on it too. I'll let you know how the Fedrals and GMX performs when he gets them

4200fps wrote: »
    Hows things. hes ordered 100 grain nosler ballistic tip Federal and 90grain Hornady GMX Superformance. He tried the 117 grain SST and 2 rounds were kissing then 3rd one went an inch to the right. I seen that happen before. Its a fine rifle. He claims the bolt is extreamly slick and easy to cycle and engage. They come with their own mounts. think he said they were 180 euro. the rifle i think costs 1800euro. Hes happy out. He's Swarovski glass on it too. I'll let you know how the Fedrals and GMX performs when he gets them
    Are those gmx any good. I never seen them at all.

Are those gmx any good. I never seen them at all.
    Best round I think out there. They have the deepest penetration and never had a runner. they always exit no matter how much bone they hit. Very accurate under a cold barrel. They are solid copper with a polymer tip. they are the most expensive round Hornady makes. I'd rate them top class. You wont have a runner with them but you need serious back stop for them as they will keep going even after hitting a deer in the head,shoulder blades or ribs... Theres 4 other users on this who seen them in action and were very impressed. Hard to come by tho. They work out at 2euro a pop or more depending on caliber

• Advertisement

I'll keep an eye out for them. The only other copper bullet i have used are RWS
    H mantel. Very accurate out of the 270 but i never shot a deer with them. i was concerned about having runners with them. I might just have to dust them off shortly tho.
    Im in the middle of training a dog now so I'll be hoping i get runners come september. :D Give her something to do.

I'll keep an eye out for them. The only other copper bullet i have used are RWS
    H mantel. Very accurate out of the 270 but i never shot a deer with them. i was concerned about having runners with them. I might just have to dust them off shortly tho.
    Im in the middle of training a dog now so I'll be hoping i get runners come september. :D Give her something to do.
    Where yo getting the RWS? thats top shelf ammuniton along with Lapua. Them GMX are a crazy price for .270 your talking about 50-60euro a box. My brother uses 130 grain SST and finds them very accurate out of his Tikka Hunter .270win. Both brass and copper rounds have the deepest penetration and used in Africa for big game. Hornday have the new GMX Internatinal Superformance and their is no difference between the original GMX and them only the price. I use 80 grain GMX out of the 243 and the trajectory is about the same as the 58grain molys with greater energy than the 100grain softpoints. I think the GMX put out the highest energy on the Hornady market vs SST depending on caliber. To be honest the SST out of the .270 is enough to knock any deer quickly,accurately and humanly at a very reasonable range as the energy it delivers even up to 400 yards is high not saying i'd shoot game at that range but its an amazing caliber

4200fps wrote: »
    Where yo getting the RWS? thats top shelf ammuniton along with Lapua. Them GMX are a crazy price for .270 your talking about 50-60euro a box. My brother uses 130 grain SST and finds them very accurate out of his Tikka Hunter .270win. Both brass and copper rounds have the deepest penetration and used in Africa for big game. Hornday have the new GMX Internatinal Superformance and their is no difference between the original GMX and them only the price. I use 80 grain GMX out of the 243 and the trajectory is about the same as the 58grain molys with greater energy than the 100grain softpoints. I think the GMX put out the highest energy on the Hornady market vs SST depending on caliber. To be honest the SST out of the .270 is enough to knock any deer quickly,accurately and humanly at a very reasonable range as the energy it delivers even up to 400 yards is high not saying i'd shoot game at that range but its an amazing caliber

I got them in the gun shop in kilkenny last year. I haven't been in since then. I used to use the 150 grain soft point RWS when I had the 308 and found them great also. They used to knock deer off their feet.
    The 270 is a great all rounder I think. I don't shoot an awful lot at long range but its nice to know I can stop a deer in its tracks at longer range if I need to.
    Where do you get the 80 grain 243.
    They sound like a great job for when the hind season is in.

I got them in the gun shop in kilkenny last year. I haven't been in since then. I used to use the 150 grain soft point RWS when I had the 308 and found them great also. They used to knock deer off their feet.
    The 270 is a great all rounder I think. I don't shoot an awful lot at long range but its nice to know I can stop a deer in its tracks at longer range if I need to.
    Where do you get the 80 grain 243.
    They sound like a great job for when the hind season is in.
    I get them of a dealer in Leitrim called Karl Scollan. They are originally 49.99 a box and hes doing me a discount on them as i parted alot of money in his store.
    Look at the difference in energy levels vs 100grain sp. http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-80-gr.-GMX-Superformance/ vs 100gr
    http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-100-gr-BTSP/ also as flat shooting as these 58 grain http://www.hornady.com/store/243-Win-58-gr-V-MAX-Moly/ .
    http://youtu.be/nXL_JHRu8YE thats Hornadys advertisement for the GMX does some job on the gel :eek: One round i'd never use on deer is v-max of any kind. I'd like to get these if I had a .270 wonder can they be got?

http://rws-munition.de/en/hunting/products/rws-centerfire-rifle-cartridges.html#!0/16/15

Advertisement