Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pre-Order Thread! Where are you getting yours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Varik wrote: »
    For the PS3 from Smyths is was first come, doubt they'll bother with anything more complex.

So does that mean our preorders are worth fuck all?

I actually forgot to ask what place I was on the list. It was 17 when I rang on Saturday. Here's hoping I'm safe! Didn't cop that Smyths mightn't get as much stock but with HMV and game gone there's a load of slack to be picked up... so I keep telling myself anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

TNT2k_ wrote: »

I actually forgot to ask what place I was on the list. It was 17 when I rang on Saturday. Here's hoping I'm safe! Didn't cop that Smyths mightn't get as much stock but with HMV and game gone there's a load of slack to be picked up... so I keep telling myself anyway :p

Smyths just hold all the pre-orders until they are claimed but in no particular order, pre-order customers are first come first serve. Just means no one can walk off the street and buy one unless it's pre-ordered.

I remember walking into Smyths to pick up my pre order 360. It was late afternoon on launch day. People were being turned away at the counter as all general stock was sold out, I walked up, said I have one pre-ordered and walked out with one. I could just see everyone looking at me. A few offered me cash for it as I walked out the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,214 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I went into my local xtra vision, bloody shocked that the deposit had to be 50 euro or above

I may wait because I want to know is there any special bundles?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Headshot wrote: »
    I went into my local xtra vision, bloody shocked that the deposit had to be 50 euro or above

I may wait because I want to know is there any special bundles?

There will definitely be bundles - if you don't pre-order it's unlikely you'' get a console on launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,214 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

F1ngers wrote: »
    There will definitely be bundles - if you don't pre-order it's unlikely you'' get a console on launch day.

You think it will fly off the shelves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Headshot wrote: »
    You think it will fly off the shelves?
    Might not make it onto the shelves in some stores I'd say.

I reckon the PS4 will be like the 360 last time, sold out day 1 and the X1 will be like the PS3, you could buy one anytime you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As said you'll get one before a non-preordering member of the public but it'll be first come first served among those with pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

Smyths just hold all the pre-orders until they are claimed but in no particular order, pre-order customers are first come first serve. Just means no one can walk off the street and buy one unless it's pre-ordered.

I remember walking into Smyths to pick up my pre order 360. It was late afternoon on launch day. People were being turned away at the counter as all general stock was sold out, I walked up, said I have one pre-ordered and walked out with one. I could just see everyone looking at me. A few offered me cash for it as I walked out the store.
    But am I guaranteed a console by pre-ordering or do I still have to be there early to make sure I get it? I wouldn't be up for a midnight pick up and early morning most likely wouldn't work.

Edit: Posting without seeing the above ^. That's a bit cuntish. You'd think they'd take 50 pre-orders lets say and no more after, but I suppose they can't know how much stock they'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Just get it delivered to your house/work. That way you have to get one? The express delivery is a free option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

But am I guaranteed a console by pre-ordering

No.
    or do I still have to be there early to make sure I get it? I wouldn't be up for a midnight pick up and early morning most likely wouldn't work.

If 200 people pre-order and they only get 100 in, then it's first come, first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Over here in the USA for the next year or so so pre-ordered mine with $100 deposit. I asked and they said they are onlytaking a liited number of pre orders but thats still no guarantee as it depends on stock levels. I'll be at the store at midnight anyway to at least make my best effort to get it on launch day.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Just saw on Amazon that if you are a UK resident, click first class delivery to get it on launch day. I have one pre ordered mine since the 11th, feeling a bit unloved by Amazon right now!!!

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Just saw on Amazon that if you are a UK resident, click first class delivery to get it on launch day. I have one pre ordered mine since the 11th, feeling a bit unloved by Amazon right now!!!

How is that a shock in fairness. Amazon never ship early breaking release date to cater for international customers. Plus why order for there in the first place, it's more expensive with the bad exchange rate right now and you are getting it later. Order online form Gamestop with express deliver and you will get it release day for the same price.

How is that a shock in fairness. Amazon never ship early breaking release date to cater for international customers. Plus why order for there in the first place, it's more expensive with the bad exchange rate right now and you are getting it later. Order online form Gamestop with express deliver and you will get it release day for the same price.

I have ordered elsewhere, I can cancel amazon should they not ship it earlier than my other other.

I dont' trust that Gamestop, Smyths and xtravision will have the stock to get them out to everyone who has pre ordered.

I have ordered elsewhere, I can cancel amazon should they not ship it earlier than my other other.

I dont' trust that Gamestop, Smyths and xtravision will have the stock to get them out to everyone who has pre ordered.

Gamestop will ship before Amazon UK, that's a given.

Last time there was a console launch there were more retailers here. All the ones you listed and GAME and HMV. 30% of Xtravision stores are to close in a few months time. That means more stock concentrated into less shops, which I see as a good thing for big console pre orders like this.

I pre ordered my PS4 online with free express delivery from Gamestop this morning and cancelled my in store pre-order as I don't want to be queing up at midnight to get one even with the pre order.

I'm going to book 2 days off work when the launch date is announced, wait for it to drop at the door and play away, well rested from a good kip the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I'm taking my weeks holiday from work, starting the day it comes out. Picking it up at midnight with 3 or 4 games and engrossing myself in a room with TV and snacks.. Not yet sure i'll even return to real life..... especially if i get BF4 on Day one.

Gamestop will ship before Amazon UK, that's a given.

Last time there was a console launch there were more retailers here. All the ones you listed and GAME and HMV. 30% of Xtravision stores are to close in a few months time. That means more stock concentrated into less shops, which I see as a good thing for big console pre orders like this.

I pre ordered my PS4 online with free express delivery from Gamestop this morning and cancelled my in store pre-order as I don't want to be queing up at midnight to get one even with the pre order.

I'm going to book 2 days off work when the launch date is announced, wait for it to drop at the door and play away, well rested from a good kip the night before.

Online it seems to be asking for the full price when you add the PS4 to basket, does it just take 20 if you proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Online it seems to be asking for the full price when you add the PS4 to basket, does it just take 20 if you proceed?

They just authorize the card for the 400 now and don't actually take the money out until just before it ships.

Gamestop take nothing until it's shipped. They even send you an email saying that and telling you to make sure you have the money on your card at time of release. No depoist for online pre-ordering.

It's standard procedure for online pre orders, Amazon is the same, I can't believe Xtravision taking the full amount now online and they are in dire straights. That's both wrong and wreckless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gamestop aren't as easy for canceling or changing orders, you need to email them to sort any changes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Klair88 wrote: »
    I'm taking my weeks holiday from work, starting the day it comes out. Picking it up at midnight with 3 or 4 games and engrossing myself in a room with TV and snacks.. Not yet sure i'll even return to real life..... especially if i get BF4 on Day one.

BF4 here too my friend...cant wait, feck the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I can't believe Xtravision taking the full amount now online and they are in dire straights. That's both wrong and wreckless.

I don't see that ending well.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I might be in the vast minority here but I'm planning on waiting for the revision A models to be released since normally the first-released models can have a few problems that vary from the minor and annoying to the outright catastrophic.

My thinking is the main hardware flaws of the launch models (if any) will be fixed up by the RevA models.

That being said though my PS3 died 3 months ago and I really want a console to play, but I can't afford to buy a new one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've got a solid preorder at gamestop, 11th on the list, but I kinda wanna move to HMV once they reopen :pac:

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've got a solid preorder at gamestop, 11th on the list, but I kinda wanna move to HMV once they reopen :pac:

Does not matter what number you are on the list. Gamestop pre order customers are first come first serve.

Smyths though had my name and number and phone number stuck to the box of my 360 pre order back in the day though. That was very good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I'l be there at midnight anyway :pac: Whats the shop that used to do it by numbers, HMV was it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Paid another 20 squid off the PS4 today, have 245 paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well I'l be there at midnight anyway :pac: Whats the shop that used to do it by numbers, HMV was it?

I'll be there at midnight, the day before launch ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Scráib wrote: »
    I might be in the vast minority here but I'm planning on waiting for the revision A models to be released since normally the first-released models can have a few problems that vary from the minor and annoying to the outright catastrophic.

My thinking is the main hardware flaws of the launch models (if any) will be fixed up by the RevA models.

That being said though my PS3 died 3 months ago and I really want a console to play, but I can't afford to buy a new one. :)

I understand the concern but I don't think it will be an issue this time around - for either console. The majority of their parts are off-the-shelf. Basically, they are PCs running custom OSs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement