Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Pre-Order Thread! Where are you getting yours?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

mdwexford wrote: »
    Can any store really guarantee pre orders?

How do they know for certain they will get x amount of consoles.

they dont....its just cash grabbing, even sony dont know how many consoles will be ready for launch. unless your in the top 20 on any list i'd say your sh** outta luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have a friend who is a manager in Gamestop and he reckons that unless you pre-ordered back in March you wont get one, his store had close to 30 pre-orders when they were taking 50 euro for it in the first 2 weeks of that month and he said most other stores were the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Xenji wrote: »
    I have a friend who is a manager in Gamestop and he reckons that unless you pre-ordered back in March you wont get one, his store had close to 30 pre-orders when they were taking 50 euro for it in the first 2 weeks of that month and he said most other stores were the same.

If this is the case the sh1t will really hit the fan come launch day. Why take a preorder knowing that it can't be fulfilled. Sure the purpose of it is that you would have it on launch day. As I said in a previous post I was told by via email and twitter that if I ordered at the time I asked which was a few weeks ago I would be guaranteed one at launch. We need some one of an official capacity to come on here and tell it like it is. No point hiding behind a bogus preorder campaign if indeed that's what it turns out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

Launch day is roughly five months away, I'm sure any of the outlets taking pre-orders are relaying their orders towards Sony.

I'd be fairly sure Sony can mass produce the PS4. Not saying everyone will get a PS4 on launch day but Sony would be manufacturing as many as possible to avoid losing custom to Microsoft.

King Krib wrote: »
    If this is the case the sh1t will really hit the fan come launch day. Why take a preorder knowing that it can't be fulfilled. Sure the purpose of it is that you would have it on launch day. As I said in a previous post I was told by via email and twitter that if I ordered at the time I asked which was a few weeks ago I would be guaranteed one at launch. We need some one of an official capacity to come on here and tell it like it is. No point hiding behind a bogus preorder campaign if indeed that's what it turns out to be.

Not to sound smug and I am not defending the stores either, they should know that with all the pre-orders they have taken that it will not be possible to match demand on the launch day, but I know of others and myself who pre-ordered back in Febuary.

Like I said not being smug, but if you really wanted the system you should of pre-ordered sooner, not waiting till everyone else was doing it, Gamestop has been taking pre-orders for over 5 months now and by rights should stop taking them till they know how much stock they will be recieving. From what I was told and I mentioned in my previous post, its far to late now to pre-order as your gonna be behind people who pre-ordered months ago on the list.

• Advertisement

Launch day is roughly five months away, I'm sure any of the outlets taking pre-orders are relaying their orders towards Sony.

I'd be fairly sure Sony can mass produce the PS4. Not saying everyone will get a PS4 on launch day but Sony would be manufacturing as many as possible to avoid losing custom to Microsoft.

You do not seem to remember the whole PS2 fiasco then and at the PS3 launch, Sony could only make 1 million consoles per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Not to sound smug and I am not defending the stores either, they should know that with all the pre-orders they have taken that it will not be possible to match demand on the launch day, but I know of others and myself who pre-ordered back in Febuary.

Like I said not being smug, but if you really wanted the system you should of pre-ordered sooner, not waiting till everyone else was doing it, Gamestop has been taking pre-orders for over 5 months now and by rights should stop taking them till they know how much stock they will be recieving. From what I was told and I mentioned in my previous post, its far to late now to pre-order as your gonna be behind people who pre-ordered months ago on the list.

Thats a fair point but surely if orders can't be fulfilled they should stop taking them that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

You do not seem to remember the whole PS2 fiasco then and at the PS3 launch, Sony could only make 1 million consoles per month.

I have never bought a console at launch before mate. Usually give it a year or so but now that I'm working I can save towards one.

So five million in the next few months seems like a shortfall. Possibly after Christmas before alot of people get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭TNT2k_

I think it'll be a bit different now that they're not using proprietary hardware, so it'll be easier to manufacture at higher rates. Not to mention the PS4 launch won't be hampered by a shortage of blu-ray LEDs this time.

What I find amazing is that Apple can pump out millions and millions of iPhones at a time yet Sony can only manage a million, if not a few more :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

TNT2k_ wrote: »
    I think it'll be a bit different now that they're not using proprietary hardware, so it'll be easier to manufacture at higher rates. Not to mention the PS4 launch won't be hampered by a shortage of blu-ray LEDs this time.

What I find amazing is that Apple can pump out millions and millions of iPhones at a time yet Sony can only manage a million, if not a few more :confused:

Apple know they'll sell that, Sony didn't and they even had to increase their sales forecast at which point they said they're may be shortages. It's not like apple in the last months before launch suddenly say we need a few million more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

I remember I was quite late preordering my PS3 from game and I had no problem getting mine at the midnight launch.

I preordered PS4 on 14/Jun and I will be going to the midnight launch when it's released, I don't see there being a problem in picking it up at launch.

I don't think it will go by what number you are on the list, I think if it comes down to it, It will go by first come first served.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    I remember I was quite late preordering my PS3 from game and I had no problem getting mine at the midnight launch.

I preordered PS4 on 14/Jun and I will be going to the midnight launch when it's released, I don't see there being a problem in picking it up at launch.

I don't think it will go by what number you are on the list, I think if it comes down to it, It will go by first come first served.

The reason anyone could pick up a PS3 at launch was 1: the price of it. and 2: It was delayed by 5 months in coming to Europe so there was more than enough stock. You didn't even need to have it pre-ordered in the end.

The 360 could not be got anywhere until the end of December 05 unless you pre ordered it very early. It flew off the shelves and everywhere was out of pre orders on day one. All the shops took too many. PS4 will be the same. The X1 will be easy to get at launch though.

LauraW7746 wrote: »

If they get 20 consoles in, the first 20 people who pre-ordered will get the console, if one of those people do not pick it up on the launch day, the next day whomever was 21st on the list will get theirs and so on and so forth, your gonna be disappointed come launch day.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Probably pre-order it with Amazon, but probably get it at Game as I don't like ordering electronic goods online, unless I have too

If they get 20 consoles in, the first 20 people who pre-ordered will get the console, if one of those people do not pick it up on the launch day, the next day whomever was 21st on the list will get theirs and so on and so forth, your gonna be disappointed come launch day.

Only Smyths use that system. They actually tag each pre-order console with your name and phone number, no one else does that. Gamestop etc, all pre-order customers are first come first serve.

nucker wrote: »
    Probably pre-order it with Amazon, but probably get it at Game as I don't like ordering electronic goods online, unless I have too

Amazon are already sold out of launch day pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Amazon are already sold out of launch day pre-orders.

Sheez, that fast already?

Only Smyths use that system. They actually tag each pre-order console with your name and phone number, no one else does that. Gamestop etc, all pre-order customers are first come first serve.

The Gamestop here in town are going by the date they took the pre-order, the manager is a friend of mine, said they will either call you a few days beforehand or that you will have to come in and comfirm that you will be actually making the purchase on the day and it will be put aside for you, might not be what they all are doing though.

nucker wrote: »
    Sheez, that fast already?

Well, it's since E3 and the UK population after all. Amazon don't know what they are getting, just guessing and don't want to piss people off. If they find out they are getting more than their current pre order numbers they will offer more pre orders at a later date.

Yeah they sold out in under 2 days after E3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

theyll be enough consoles for pre orders, theres always this hysteria about console launches and it turns out alright in the end, any mate worker manager who says there wont be is just after sales and building the hype, any game or console ive ever pre-ordered has always been there, even the day after launch as I couldn't get in at launch sometimes.

so don't worry and just count the days till you have it to play with, and the shops are smart enough to know when its time to stop pre orders

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Ok well I rang Gamestop where I preordered and they are going by a list system, Xenji is right, if they get a 100 in and your not within the 100 on the list you won't be getting one launch day.
    I asked how many they would be getting and he said they will be allocated 200 which is a bigger allocation then some of the other Gamestops.
    I asked where I was on the list and he said I was 66 so I won't have trouble getting one at launch (phew). He said I should preorder any games and controllers now also.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I pre-ordered my PS4 back in Feb, 3 days after the first reveal. So i know i'm good on the list, and i have it half paid off too!

But i'd be worried with pre-orders this stage.

My brother said to me yesterday that he can't wait for the PS4, wants one on the day it comes out and is only going to pre-order today!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I say Good luck with that, not a hope. As one poster mentioned, if you didn't pre-order it by april-ish, its not guaranteed.

shinzon wrote: »
    theyll be enough consoles for pre orders, theres always this hysteria about console launches and it turns out alright in the end, any mate worker manager who says there wont be is just after sales and building the hype, any game or console ive ever pre-ordered has always been there, even the day after launch as I couldn't get in at launch sometimes.

so don't worry and just count the days till you have it to play with, and the shops are smart enough to know when its time to stop pre orders

Shin

I remember in 2005, walking out of Smyths with my 360 that I pre ordered on day one and there was no store in Dublin with a 360 in stock. I was offered cash twice for my console before I left the store.

Consoles do sell out day one, the Wii did too.

Completey forgot that you could have some game shortages as well, although doubt it would happen, but waiting to see what bundles they do before putting money down on games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Wanted to pre order my PS4 from gamestop over here in the US. Went into 3 different stores here before June and they weren't allowed to take pre-orders. Got an email day after launch to say I could now pre order but was in work till the thursday so ordered it then. Had to put down a $100 deposit for it. So hopefully will have it. I also pre-ordered from amazon.com on E3 day.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Anyone know how online Gamestop orders will work? I presume an authorized credit card is as good as a full deposit to them hence you would get one launch day? Well I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Sony had a 100 unit limit on each store but they lifted that limit. I think there will be no issues with getting your hands on one, the components are not rare.
    It will be interesting to see if any store will open at midnight for the PS4 though.

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Anyone know how online Gamestop orders will work? I presume an authorized credit card is as good as a full deposit to them hence you would get one launch day? Well I hope!

If you are just doing it now, you will be fairly down the list and it has been confirmed they are going by lists.

• Advertisement

jaffusmax wrote: »

Thats what I'm hoping anyway. Ordered a two weeks ago now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement