Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Result

Options
  • 12-06-2013 6:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭

Okay, in today's society, world we live in what is considered a good Junior Cert result in your eyes ??
    I mean I hate when teachers lecture about the results basing upon ''your abilities''
    I mean I know a person who did absolute dogs dinner out of his results in the JC(He got 3As 4Bs and 3C) Now in MY eyes this will not be considered an exceptional result, after seeing loads of other people and comparing with them that is. But now he is in college and did so good in his leaving cert god 565 !!!
    Doing medicine now, this to me I have realised that you cannot judge your JC results as an excuse or meaning that ''this is my ability, I cannot go any further''
    Do no judge a book by its cover I say :)
    So that is a whole different situation, let us go back to the topic, what IS considered a GOOD JC result IN YOUR EYES
    Mine is around the margin of 5As and 4Bs and 1C would be the least that will win me over as a good result any lower... would not accept..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭zubikhan

By the way how did all of your history exams go, mine went promisingly good, but unfortunately I got caught in Q6 with the burial and the ww2 accounts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One where the person has tried their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Lost In Confusion

zubikhan wrote: »
    Okay, in today's society, world we live in what is considered a good Junior Cert result in your eyes ??
    I mean I hate when teachers lecture about the results basing upon ''your abilities''
    I mean I know a person who did absolute dogs dinner out of his results in the JC(He got 3As 4Bs and 3C) Now in MY eyes this will not be considered an exceptional result, after seeing loads of other people and comparing with them that is. But now he is in college and did so good in his leaving cert god 565 !!!
    Doing medicine now, this to me I have realised that you cannot judge your JC results as an excuse or meaning that ''this is my ability, I cannot go any further''
    Do no judge a book by its cover I say :)
    So that is a whole different situation, let us go back to the topic, what IS considered a GOOD JC result IN YOUR EYES
    Mine is around the margin of 5As and 4Bs and 1C would be the least that will win me over as a good result any lower... would not accept..

6as 5bs

spurious wrote: »
    One where the person has tried their best.

Yeah to be honest I agree with you but what happens if the person did not do as great as he planned as the person I told an example of, because as you know currently everyone is doing good for the JC and he got the bad results the humiliation he would get from students behind his back who got better, how will they know if he tried his best or he just was unlucky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah to be honest I agree with you but what happens if the person did not do as great as he planned as the person I told an example of, because as you know currently everyone is doing good for the JC and he got the bad results the humiliation he would get from students behind his back who got better, how will they know if he tried his best or he just was unlucky

I'd hate to think what they would do to a student I once had who got a D in Foundation Level English and was so happy he cried.

The type of 'person' who makes fun of someone else's exam results is not worth bothering with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LawdyLad

No possible way to judge a good Junior Cert and if you try to do so, your clueless. Your best is a good result and not any certain amount of As/Bs etc.

I'd hate to think what they would do to a student I once had who got a D in Foundation Level English and was so happy he cried.

The type of 'person' who makes fun of someone else's exam results is not worth bothering with.

Yeah I know what you mean about the foundation part
    I have some friends who did they're junior cert last year and one of them did ordinary level science and business and they got C's but they were very happy and they were claiming they got honours, but it be bad to say to them that you can only get honours in higher level, to ruin the joy in their face would be terrible

by the way if anyone wondered what my friend got for his JC, it is here(P.S. He is my cousin, lol)
    SUBJECTS LEVEL GRADE
    ENGLISH HIGHER D
    MATHS HIGHER B
    HISTORY HIGHER C
    GEOGRAPHY HIGHER B
    GERMAN HIGHER C
    ITALIAN HIGHER C
    WOOD HIGHER A
    METAL HIGHER B
    BUSINESS HIGHER B
    SCIENCE HIGHER A
    C.S.P.E COMMON A

He tells me of how sad he was every day, he could not bare the fact that all the other junior cert students in his year got A's and B's and he was the only one with bad results, especially with history, his history teacher(I have the same on as him :)) Was very shocked so was the english one with what he got, but if you think about if I had a choice and if I were to get these grades I would rather get a C and B in history in exchange for 2'Cs in languages because obviously history and language are more important

I agree. I don't care what anyone else gets as long as I'm happy with my result I don't want to compare myself with others. I know I won't get all A's I just want to achieve my potential which could have been that if i studied earlier.. I'm kind of happy that I'll be receiving my results alone now

Yeah I know what you mean about the foundation part
    I have some friends who did they're junior cert last year and one of them did ordinary level science and business and they got C's but they were very happy and they were claiming they got honours, but it be bad to say to them that you can only get honours in higher level, to ruin the joy in their face would be terrible

Exactly and in the long run, unless someone particularly enjoys making other people feel bad about themselves, what point would there be in saying anything to them?
    It's the sort of comment that could have a long-term effect on the person it's directed at.

• Advertisement

Exactly and in the long run, unless someone particularly enjoys making other people feel bad about themselves, what point would there be in saying anything to them?
    It's the sort of comment that could have a long-term effect on the person it's directed at.

But still the ideology of people's expectations are very high now a days, for e.g. people expect me to get all A's and B's but I know that is not going to happen especially what happened in English, maybe in the other subjects but there would be 3 or 2 subjects in which I will get not what people expected me to get and when the results do come out, It will be a sorrowful feeling to show everyone about how wrong they were about the praise about you, some people would start saying '' oh my god I though he was smart, but turns out he is just average'' :eek::(
    Nothing wrong with being average but the way and structure of the sentence is horrific

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

As long as the person themselves is proud of their achievement, no matter how small or big which could be 10 As or 10 Ds.

For example I got a C in honours Maths last year and couldn't stop smiling I was so happy. I was advised by the teacher to drop to pass after failing the mocks and to come out with an honours and her being shocked was great

The media have some blame to take for this sort of nonsense, filling the papers with the 13 As in JC and 8 As in LC people.

They are great achievements, but really, the 75 year old man who left school at 11 and has just passed OL JC English and Maths, or the child who attended his mother's funeral in the morning and then passed a Science paper after it, or the kid with Downs Syndrome who completed his LCA, or the child who sits a Maths exam with his ears still ringing from a beating one of his parents gave him that morning - they are all equally if not more impressive achievements.

The media have some blame to take for this sort of nonsense, filling the papers with the 13 As in JC and 8 As in LC people.

They are great achievements, but really, the 75 year old man who left school at 11 and has just passed OL JC English and Maths, or the child who attended his mother's funeral in the morning and then passed a Science paper after it, or the kid with Downs Syndrome who completed his LCA, or the child who sits a Maths exam with his ears still ringing from a beating one of his parents gave him that morning - they are all equally if not more impressive achievements.

Yeah
    I believe the results should be sent home only, like the GCSE

are you an english teacher?

I don't have an issue with them going to the school.

I get my students to say 'I'm pleased with what I got' and leave it at that if anyone asks how they did. The results aren't anyone else's business, certainly not other people in your class's business.

are you an english teacher?

I did teach English (and Maths and Irish!) once, many moons ago, but no, I teach Junior Cert. ESS, which is like History and Geography and I also teach IT and Voc Prep. to LCA.

I did teach English (and Maths and Irish!) once, many moons ago, but no, I teach Junior Cert. ESS, which is like History and Geography and I also teach IT and Voc Prep. to LCA.

okay you don't mind I have a question.
    Is English truly the examiners opinion as people say? Is there such thing as having an easy examiner and a hard one? Or is it if you do the paper well you'll get your A?

okay you don't mind I have a question.
    Is English truly the examiners opinion as people say? Is there such thing as having an easy examiner and a hard one? Or is it if you do the paper well you'll get your A?

If you look at the marking schemes it tells the examiner what they can and cannot give marks for. Of course in English, like in subjects like Art, what one person likes might be what another person hates, but the advising examiners check the marking of scripts from every examiner, so it would be spotted if someone was doing a candidate out of marks that they deserved.

If you look at the marking schemes it tells the examiner what they can and cannot give marks for. Of course in English, like in subjects like Art, what one person likes might be what another person hates, but the advising examiners check the marking of scripts from every examiner, so it would be spotted if someone was doing a candidate out of marks that they deserved.

So if someone gets a B and they thought they should get an A they shouldn't get it rechecked?

• Advertisement

So if someone gets a B and they thought they should get an A they shouldn't get it rechecked?

I wouldn't personally, though I can see why someone might want to.

If someone was getting As and Bs all year and got a D, then I would be more likely to get it checked.

I wouldn't personally, though I can see why someone might want to.

If someone was getting As and Bs all year and got a D, then I would be more likely to get it checked.

my problem is i get a's in some part of English and b's in others... mainly b's in personal writing but i prepared many essays to the best of my abilities and one came up that's why I'm expecting a better grade. I get A's in all the unseen bits of English and the comprehension but I seem to lose marks in studied. Hoping for the best.

Advertisement