Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing my tattoo virginity!

Options
  • 12-06-2013 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hey there, now that I'm finally of legal age, I'm looking to get my first tattoo. It's definitely not something to do on a whim, though as I've wanted to get one since I was about 10 years old. I'm not 100% on the design yet, but I know what I want the tattoo to represent for me. It's only going to be something very small to start off with, but something I could add to in the future if I want to.

I have a few of questions before I go ahead and plan it out: Firstly, I want to get it on the inside of my left wrist, but I've heard that artists are reluctant to tattoo this area on a first timer? I've also heard it's very painful, but I don't really care about that to be honest. Secondly, how long roughly would it take to heal? Again, bearing in mind that it would only be very small, and finally, is there a going rate for tattoo artists, or does it vary depending on location and quality? I'm situated in Carlow so I, apparently, have quite a decent artist in the town.

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Firstly, I want to get it on the inside of my left wrist, but I've heard that artists are reluctant to tattoo this area on a first timer? I've also heard it's very painful, but I don't really care about that to be honest.

I've never heard of any tattooist refusing work on the wrist. I know some won't do the hands or face but that's it. As for the pain, I haven't had my wrist done (yet) but everyone's pain threshold is different. I heard the forearm hurt like a bitch, but it didn't hurt me. So you might be lucky.
    Secondly, how long roughly would it take to heal? Again, bearing in mind that it would only be very small....

Healing doesn't depend on size. It normally takes about 10 days. I just had a large piece done on my tricep and it took 6 days. Aftercare is important, so take note (or look it up here)
    ...and finally, is there a going rate for tattoo artists, or does it vary depending on location and quality? I'm situated in Carlow so I, apparently, have quite a decent artist in the town.

Price depends on the artist/studio. Could be anything from €60 per hour to €100 per hour. Others will base the price on the tattoo.I know the tattooist in Carlow you're thinking about, and although he's not bad, you should give Colin Byrne in Hacketstown a shout, he's really, really good. (working on a sleeve for me at the minute)

Best of luck with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

My first tattoo was on my left wrist and the artist didn't bat an eyelid. It's a fairly easy area to hide tbh. And it was one of my least painful tattoos to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SarahC91

My very first tattoo was on my wrist and I was only 16! Artist did not mind with my parents permission, and it was by far the least painful one I've had so far :) My tattoo artist is fab, for my first tattoo he ran the needle on my wrist before putting ink on it just to see if I'd be able to deal with the feeling and if it was too painful I wouldnt permanently be marked! Amazing :) But definitely for a first tattoo it is not sore atall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Best advice anyone can give you on tattoo's especially your first is research research research. It' something I wish someone had told me at 18 before I got my first one which was subsequently lasered and covered.

Be confident in the design you want, be sure of aftercare, research your artists and find the right one for you and to suit you and the work you want done. There are plenty of talented artists in Ireland so you have plenty of choice :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

Hey there, now that I'm finally of legal age, I'm looking to get my first tattoo. It's definitely not something to do on a whim, though as I've wanted to get one since I was about 10 years old. I'm not 100% on the design yet, but I know what I want the tattoo to represent for me. It's only going to be something very small to start off with, but something I could add to in the future if I want to.

I have a few of questions before I go ahead and plan it out: Firstly, I want to get it on the inside of my left wrist, but I've heard that artists are reluctant to tattoo this area on a first timer? I've also heard it's very painful, but I don't really care about that to be honest. Secondly, how long roughly would it take to heal? Again, bearing in mind that it would only be very small, and finally, is there a going rate for tattoo artists, or does it vary depending on location and quality? I'm situated in Carlow so I, apparently, have quite a decent artist in the town.

There is no rule that says you have to get it done in Carlow because you're in Carlow :) Every tattooist has a different style/speciality and they'll freely admit it; you need to have a look at the work of as many artist as possible, figure out what style YOU like for what YOU want and then look again based on that.

My little sister recently got her first tattoo also and I made her do all of the above and she ended up travelling 4 hours to get the tattoo she wanted (who was one of the ones recommended here also! :)).

• Advertisement
Advertisement