Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can a 125cc be used as a Direct Access to Level A2 or A under Jan 2013 licencing req?

• 12-06-2013 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi,

I know the new testing rules were active since Jan 19 2013.

Under then new rules I was wondering if I want to go straight to an A2 or A license does the bike need to be a certain CC displacement? If I bring a 125cc bike ot the test do they automatically put me into a category A1 license and restrict me for 2 years?

The part which is confusing me is my age. I am 26 years old and I'm wondering are the restrictions based on age alone or is also displacement?

If I wanted to go to straight to an 'A' License would I need a vehicle of a certain displacement as well as need to be a certain age?

Even if I could not go straight to 'A' would I be able to go to A2 on a 125cc bike? Or again does even A2 require a displacement over 125cc.

Q.9 on the RSA pdf does not seem to mention that you must bring a vehicle to the test of certain displacement depending on the category you want the license in.

For me, I don't think I would ever need to be on a bike over 35kW or 400cc so an A2 would suit me perfectly but I need to know what cc engine I need to bring to the test centre to get that category license.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    Hi,

Under then new rules I was wondering if I want to go straight to an A2 or A license does the bike need to be a certain CC displacement? If I bring a 125cc bike ot the test do they automatically put me into a category A1 license and restrict me for 2 years?

The part which is confusing me is my age. I am 26 years old and I'm wondering are the restrictions based on age alone or is also displacement?

If I wanted to go to straight to an 'A' License would I need a vehicle of a certain displacement as well as need to be a certain age?

Even if I could not go straight to 'A' would I be able to go to A2 on a 125cc bike? Or again does even A2 require a displacement over 125cc.

Q.9 on the RSA pdf does not seem to mention that you must bring a vehicle to the test of certain displacement depending on the category you want the license in.

For me, I don't think I would ever need to be on a bike over 35kW or 400cc so an A2 would suit me perfectly but I need to know what cc engine I need to bring to the test centre to get that category license.

For a full A unrestricted licence the bike has to be a full power 650cc I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Sn@kebite

paddy147 wrote: »
    For a full A unrestricted licence the bike has to be a full power 650cc I think.
    Thanks. And A2 needs to be 395cc minimum? This sounds just like the UK system.

Also I understand I could bring a 180cc Gilera Dna to the A2 exam but I would only be licensed for an automatic transmission also.

Thanks for the help.

Actually according to the RSA...for a person over 24 wanting a full unrestricted A licence......its a minimum of 595cc and a unladen bike weight of 180kgs.

Thanks a lot paddy. Im starting to get an understanding. However there is one more confusing issue because I'm part of the older learner permit holders.

I took out a learner permit before Dec 2010 so I'm part of the "no IBT required" learner permit holders. And also because my learner permit was issued before Jan 19 2013 it seems there's something tricky to getting an A2/A direct access because I cannot exceed 25kW on an A learner permit from the older issue permits.

I am reading here

Answer to Q.5 Interests me most:
    Q5. I have my A learner permit and will be 24 in February. So it will be better for me to wait until next year and to an unrestricted test. However to do a full A you must do it on a bike of 40kw and my license only permits 25kw. So how do I get to take my test on this license?

With an A learner permit (issued before 19 January 2013) you will qualify for an A2 licence by passing the test after 19 January 2013. If you want direct access after February 2013 – when you are 24 – you will have to take out a new category A learner permit, do the new IBT progression module, pass the driving test and you can then drive unrestricted.

So possibly I might be able to get at least an A2 licence regardless of bringing a bike above 11kw but < or = 25kw. I cannot drive a bike above 25kW on my A learner permit because I took it out before jan 2013. But learner do put me more with the A2 license rage.

Thanks a lot paddy. Im starting to get an understanding. However there is one more confusing issue because I'm part of the older learner permit holders.

I took out a learner permit before Dec 2010 so I'm part of the "no IBT required" learner permit holders. And also because my learner permit was issued before Jan 19 2013 it seems there's something tricky to getting an A2/A direct access because I cannot exceed 25kW on an A learner permit from the older issue permits.

I am reading here

Answer to Q.5 Interests me most:

So possibly I might be able to get at least an A2 licence regardless of bringing a bike above 11kw but < or = 25kw. I cannot drive a bike above 25kW on my A learner permit because I took it out before jan 2013. But learner do put me more with the A2 license rage.

Heres another part from the RSA book regarding permits prior to December 2010.

Hope this helps??:).

• Advertisement

Ok paddy I understand completely what I must do to get Direct Access to 'Unrestricted A'.

the only thing left is how I can go directly to an A2 license from where I'm at now. :)

Thank you so much for teh help, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No disrespect to anyone posted but you would be better off sending a PM in relation to this to one of the IBT instructors that frequent the forum.

Lookbehindyou is one that is on all the time and wont let you down.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    No disrespect to anyone posted but you would be better off sending a PM in relation to this to one of the IBT instructors that frequent the forum.

Lookbehindyou is one that is on all the time and wont let you down.

None taken.

Thats good sound advice.

Best to get it from the horses mouth...so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Considering you have a Learners Permit from pre-Dec 2010, you can go straight to an A2 licence by doing the test on a suitable bike. This would be a bike of at least 395cc and restricted to 33BHP and 25Kw in power. I'm in the same boat and have attempted the test since the new rules came in. Attached is what I was sent by the RSA in relation to my questions about could I go for an A licence and so on.

RSA%201.jpg
    RSA%202.jpg

Soundman wrote: »
    Considering you have a Learners Permit from pre-Dec 2010, you can go straight to an A2 licence by doing the test on a suitable bike. This would be a bike of at least 395cc and restricted to 33BHP and 25Kw in power. I'm in the same boat and have attempted the test since the new rules came in. Attached is what I was sent by the RSA in relation to my questions about could I go for an A license and so on.

The thing is on my learner permit it does not mention the minimum cc has to be 395 as well as 25kW. The old learner permits (as far as I know) only gave a reference to the wattage output and not the cubic capacity. And I know some bikes can be less than 395cc and yet still meet the 25kW requirement for a A2 license.

Everywhere I have read (including RSA.ie) has not specifically mentioned that holders of the old A learner permits need to meet the 395cc min as well as the 25kW power output. It only mentions us needing to meet the 25kW spec. Whereas it does mention after the Jan 2013 learner permits you need to meet both the cc standard as the minimum of 25kW standard for an A2.

I will try to PM that user as I didn't know anything about who the motorbike IBT trainers are beforehand.

(I just want to get the A2 with lowest cc engine but make it meet 25kW because I might save on tax/ins having a lower cc engine. But I might be wrong...)

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

The thing is on my learner permit it does not mention the minimum cc has to be 395 as well as 25kW. The old learner permits (as far as I know) only gave a reference to the wattage output and not the cubic capacity. And I know some bikes can be less than 395cc and yet still meet the 25kW requirement for a A2 license.

Everywhere I have read (including RSA.ie) has not specifically mentioned that holders of the old A learner permits need to meet the 395cc min as well as the 25kW power output. It only mentions us needing to meet the 25kW spec. Whereas it does mention after the Jan 2013 learner permits you need to meet both the cc standard as the minimum of 25kW standard for an A2.

I will try to PM that user as I didn't know anything about who the motorbike IBT trainers are beforehand.

(I just want to get the A2 with lowest cc engine but make it meet 25kW because I might save on tax/ins having a lower cc engine. But I might be wrong...)

Thanks guys.

Sure why not just go for the full unrestricted A licence.

You are over the 24 years of age.

You would have it,and you dont have to worry about getting in the future (future expense and costs of getting it),and if you decide you want a bigger more powerfull bike then you can just buy a bigger powerfull bike and no need for it to be restricted..

Yearly tax on a bike is feck all anyway......when compared to a car.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sure why not just go for the full unrestricted A licence.

You are over the 24 years of age.

You would have it,and you dont have to worry about getting in the future (future expense and costs of getting it),and if you decide you want a bigger more powerfull bike then you can just buy a bigger powerfull bike and no need for it to be restricted..

Yearly tax on a bike is feck all anyway......when compared to a car.
    It's a good idea, but the problem for me is money. To buy a 40Kw bike is going to be more than a 25kw I'm assuming, then insurance on a learner perm is going to be crazy. I mean what would the insurance be on a 40Kw 595cc bike. A bomb I'd expect, or at least a lb of flesh. :eek:

This is why I would be happy with A2 and going straight to A unres I'd need to do modules 1, 3 and 5 IBT. Where going to A2 I get to keep the privilege of skipping and saving money on the IBT because I'm a pre-Dec 2010 learner permit holder.

Decisions, decision.... :P

If I could add up the costs it would be great. I mean IBT would probably be about 800 EUR.

I need to think about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Thanks guys.

Apologies if it wasn't clear. I meant that those are the specs the bike needs to meet when doing the test only. Other than that, continue riding the bike you are on that meets your current licence requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's a good idea, but the problem for me is money. To buy a 40Kw bike is going to be more than a 25kw I'm assuming, then insurance on a learner perm is going to be crazy. I mean what would the insurance be on a 40Kw 595cc bike. A bomb I'd expect, or at least a lb of flesh. :eek:

A 40kw bike may or may not cost more than a 25kw one. It all depends on age and how diserable the bike is. There are plenty of workhorse bikes going cheap as they aren't new or cool now.

Insurance is a mystery and not solely based on the power of the bike. Your location, age and security have a bigger impact than power.

This is why I would be happy with A2 and going straight to A unres I'd need to do modules 1, 3 and 5 IBT. Where going to A2 I get to keep the privilege of skipping and saving money on the IBT because I'm a pre-Dec 2010 learner permit holder.

Decisions, decision.... :P

If I could add up the costs it would be great. I mean IBT would probably be about 800 EUR.

I need to think about this.

The best thing for you to do is call the RSA and ask them what you need to do to get an A2 or A licence. Once they have your drivers number they can tell you what you can do get the licence you want.

I'd advise doing a few lessons before whichever test you go for and don't be afraid to rent a school bike for your test if you can't meet a criteria with what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Hi,

Bikes for test:

'A1' Min 120cc, Max 125cc, max power 11KW (Power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kw/kg)

'A2' Min 395cc, power min 25kw max 35kw & not derived from a bike of more than double its power. (Power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kw/kg)

'A' Min 595cc, min power 40kw (To change in November to 50kw 180kgs)

You can take an 'A2' test on you old paper 'A' permit but the bike for your test must be min 395cc & exactly 25kw (as your old permit has a 25kw restriction). You will have to bring your registration cert & restriction cert with you on the day of your test.

Advertisement