Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Classical Studies Before/After***

• 12-06-2013 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Anyone taking on this beast of an exam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Yep, what you studying?

Well this was a useful thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭shootie

Yep, what you studying?

Aeneid/Odyssey/Oedipus the king/Medea/Alexander/Roman A+A.

The Drama/Epics are easy enough, just like English and Macbeth basically. I would of preferred if my class did another historical sort of topic though like the late Roman republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ClassicsStuff

Anyone have any ideas of predictions for Alexander the great? I really don't want to go over the entire book -.-

Anyone have any ideas of predictions for Alexander the great? I really don't want to go over the entire book -.-

You should be pretty safe if you learn the battles/seiges, Gaugamela came up last year. It's nigh impossible to predict Classics at higher level.

• Advertisement

I'm doing:

Athens at war (2 questions hopefully)

Medea and Oedipus the King

A stand alone question The Odyssey

The Republic (probably one question but maybe 2 if I don't like one of the drama questions)

Anyone any predictions for Athens at war?

I've done issus, Thebes, death of callisthenes and hephaistion so far. Anything else?

I've done issus, Thebes, death of callisthenes and hephaistion so far. Anything else?

My teacher seemed to emphasise the importance of learning the early battles with the Thebans/Tribalians etc. so i'd have a look at those too. Maybe the Hydaspes/Granicus.

How much will you guys be writing per essay?

• Advertisement

How much will you guys be writing per essay?

About 2-3 pages?

About 2-3 pages?

My teacher said 4, but that would be nigh impossible in the time allocated to do 6x4.

I'd do around 3.5 for Epic/Drama. Maybe less on historical topics if the questions are nice.

shootie wrote: »
    My teacher said 4, but that would be nigh impossible in the time allocated to do 6x4.

I'd do around 3.5 for Epic/Drama. Maybe less on historical topics if the questions are nice.

****ing hell, seriously? Jesus I'm ****ed...I'd say I'll be able to write about 2 and a half pages on most things

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

Anyone have notes on Pompeii town plan> I have the map but no notes with it

What're the chances of the role of the chorus coming up for Oedipus?

I'd like Chorus, or Creon

Well that was the nicest classics paper I've ever seen

Yeah that was lovely, I although I didn't do that well in the Odyssey question - if it wasn't for that I'd be confident in an A1

I did a1 answers on every section, did the erechtheion with perfect answers then decided that no, wait, the temple is actually the Parthenon and changed my answers.

^^ are you saying f uck in those stars or are they just general stars?

• Advertisement

^^ are you saying f uck in those stars or are they just general stars?

im saying f u ck lol

haha fair enough, if you had A1 answers in all the others you'll be fine - or do you like NEED an A1 in classics to get your course?

haha fair enough, if you had A1 answers in all the others you'll be fine - or do you like NEED an A1 in classics to get your course?

Nope im doing computer science which is 335 or something, but I kinda wanted an A in classics just cos lol, I think I probably got a b3, maybe got like 20 marks out of 50 in temples for the fact I got the location and half the materials right. Also in the description I did I wrote about stuff you could see in the picture like the Karyatids and the 6 ionic collumns, the steps, windows looking into the preneous and the continuous frieze of centuars vs lapiths so I might get some marks.

Ah well you're grand so (you'll always have an A in my book if that makes you feel better :) )

Well, got a C1. **** lol

Advertisement