Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science experiment folder?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I just read on a 2009 JC boards thread that you only need to have 24 experiments written up?! I have 45 done but I haven't finished all of my study on habitat booklet.. do you think I'd be safe leaving half of that experiment unfinished and studying instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

on our course there are 30 i think

and shouldn't you have handed that booklet up to your teacher last week????

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

tr0llface wrote: »
    on our course there are 30 i think

and shouldn't you have handed that booklet up to your teacher last week????

Thank you!! And no, we just have to hand them in tomorrow. Our teachers left signs around the school reminding us lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

You're not supposed to bring the booklet home, if you're caught/your teacher is caught there could be consequences, so gl.
    We were never allowed to bring the booklets home, we done all the work in school or is this my teacher just being awkward?

Someone verify this please.

i think the inspector came to check ours but i left mine in my desk :( lol there goes 10%

You're not supposed to bring the booklet home, if you're caught/your teacher is caught there could be consequences, so gl.
    We were never allowed to bring the booklets home, we done all the work in school or is this my teacher just being awkward?

I'm talking about the folder where you write all the experiments over the three years which is worth 10%.. not coursework B that we did this year with only the two experiments. I handed that up about a month or two ago.

• Advertisement

yeah that's the rule for the experiments folder aswell. some teachers are very strict about this (yours) and some others don't mind that much (mine).

tr0llface wrote: »
    yeah that's the rule for the experiments folder aswell. some teachers are very strict about this (yours) and some others don't mind that much (mine).

Oh God.. I never knew this! Our teacher let us bring it home to help us study and we wrote up the experiments as homework..

Don't worry about it just don't tell anyone you know in real life.. incase someone reports you :) I heard if you bring it home, you can fail all JC Subjects or just science depending on the circumstances and you won't be allowed to sit your lc.. but if its the case for your whole class, its your teachers fault, nobody elses.

Don't worry about it just don't tell anyone you know in real life.. incase someone reports you :) I heard if you bring it home, you can fail all JC Subjects or just science depending on the circumstances and you won't be allowed to sit your lc.. but if its the case for your whole class, its your teachers fault, nobody elses.

O: Defo won't be telling anyone in that case!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

Meanwhile in my scumbag school, our teacher didn't let us write up about half of the experiments in class over the 3 years and didn't do the habitat study experiment along with a few other ones I think. He gave us our experiment booklets to do over Easter and also only took them up from people 2 weeks after we came back from Easter. I was thinking of reporting him so if I get bad in Science I can just tell my parents, " My science teacher is so bad, he had to pay a 500 euro fine to the SEC and then got sacked by the school and deported back to Manchester" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

lol I don't think that is even true? I think imo your science teacher didn't want the class to bring the lab copies in case they lose it, as it is time consuming to write them all out again and it is worth 10%. My science teacher has been teaching in the school for over 20 years and I doubt that he wouldn't tell us that we could "fail" all subjects or just science if we brought the lab copies home

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not exactly.

There have been cases where Science grades were withheld from schools because there were doubts as to whether or not some of the students had just copied something written on the board for their booklets, but if the school had a plausible excuse for the similarities, it was let go.

It's a teacher/school issue though, not a candidate one. So is the issue of some teachers being unprofessional in their application of the coursework rules and deadlines.

If a candidate is found to be cheating, in any subject, then sanctions up to and including being barred from all State-run exams are possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭finisher489

spurious wrote: »
    Not exactly.

There have been cases where Science grades were withheld from schools because there were doubts as to whether or not some of the students had just copied something written on the board for their booklets, but if the school had a plausible excuse for the similarities, it was let go.

It's a teacher/school issue though, not a candidate one. So is the issue of some teachers being unprofessional in their application of the coursework rules and deadlines.

If a candidate is found to be cheating, in any subject, then sanctions up to and including being barred from all State-run exams are possible.

Yeah everyone in our class wrote the exact same thing for the experiments and also our teacher just couldn't care less about one of the most important JC subjects that will impact Leaving Cert Biology/Chemistry/Physics class next year

I'm pretty sure that the cases where science grades were withheld from schools , involved my school because I think most people copy the experiments word for word from the book in my school

Thats only if you want to do a science subject for the LC? its not the most important subject though, or even one, of english/maths/irish are thats why they're core subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Thats only if you want to do a science subject for the LC? its not the most important subject though, or even one, of english/maths/irish are thats why they're core subjects.

Science is pretty important in the world and largely in college for a certain range of courses.

No only for scientific courses.. and its only important if you want to pursue science in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

No only for scientific courses.. and its only important if you want to pursue science in the future :)

And for engineering and technical courses, at least some of them.

So than its not hugely important, the most important subject for the JC is Maths.. most courses require it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 99_99

Do you have to pass all elements of the exam? I.E Write up, experiment book and the exam tomorrow?

Have be told yes and no by different teachers, anyone know what is right?

99_99 wrote: »
    Do you have to pass all elements of the exam? I.E Write up, experiment book and the exam tomorrow?

Have be told yes and no by different teachers, anyone know what is right?

If you don't have your folder handed up, you lose 10% and if you haven't done your coursework B you lose 25% and if you don't do your exam you lose 65%
    But, if you just don't hand up one, you won't fail, just lose marks (unless you don't hand up your exam...then you'll only get a max of 35%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BradyShim

OH CRAP! our teacher never told us about any red booklet we had to finish? I mean we done some of it in 2nd year but never done finished it!?! She always kept them up in her press at the top of the room! She couldn't have forgotten as the other 2 science teachers in my year got their class to do it? :/ HELP WHAT HAPPENS NOW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pwee2029

BradyShim wrote: »
    OH CRAP! our teacher never told us about any red booklet we had to finish? I mean we done some of it in 2nd year but never done finished it!?! She always kept them up in her press at the top of the room! She couldn't have forgotten as the other 2 science teachers in my year got their class to do it? :/ HELP WHAT HAPPENS NOW!!!
    well in my school, we have until the music exam to hand them up. I think if you didn't complete whatever coursework was that or you didnt hand it up, that's 10% gone out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭gopod

Coursework A (10%): The 30 experiments done over 3 years. These have to be written up "to the best of a student's ability". These write ups remain in school until after the appeals.
    Students simply tick boxes in the green Coursework booklet to indicate which ones they have done.

Coursework B (25%): The projects done in 3rd year. These are also written into the Coursework booklet which is then placed into the orange plastic envelope and sealed. This is given to the superintendent during the written exam.

Coursework C (65%): The written exam. The paper is placed in the see through pocked of the orange plastic envelope by the superintendent after the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

gopod wrote: »
    Coursework A (10%): The 30 experiments done over 3 years. These have to be written up "to the best of a student's ability". These write ups remain in school until after the appeals.
    Students simply tick boxes in the green Coursework booklet to indicate which ones they have done.

Coursework B (25%): The projects done in 3rd year. These are also written into the Coursework booklet which is then placed into the orange plastic envelope and sealed. This is given to the superintendent during the written exam.

Coursework C (65%): The written exam. The paper is placed in the see through pocked of the orange plastic envelope by the superintendent after the exam.
    We didn't do coursebook A .. it's a huge risk my teacher is taking :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BradyShim

Is there a chance that they wont even be examined?

BradyShim wrote: »
    Is there a chance that they wont even be examined?

The only times the mandatory / designated experiments in Coursework A are looked at is:
    1) during an inspection,
    2) if there is a suspicion of plagiarism / cheating in Coursework B or the exam.

The only reason why they give 10% for them is to get teachers and students to actually DO the experiments in class. In my school students do the practicals in groups of two.

To answer your question, the chance of them being checked is close to 0.
    If you ticked the boxes in the green booklet you handed up then you automatically get the 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 suargasm

do you have to pass the theory paper to get the 35% in the project? little worried:(:(

suargasm wrote: »
    do you have to pass the theory paper to get the 35% in the project? little worried:(:(

No. The final mark is a combination of all three.

If a student gets as little as 25 - 30% on the written paper they can still pass, provided they do well in the other coursework.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

We didn't do coursebook A .. it's a huge risk my teacher is taking :p.

Well he shouldn't. That's basically stopping most people from getting an A

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Well he shouldn't. That's basically stopping most people from getting an A

I got a A in Junior Cert science so yeah :D

Advertisement