Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter game tips .

Options
  • 12-06-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm new to this forum . I have never really been into fighting games but all my friends play the usual ones and have regular tournaments so its about time I stop getting my ass kicked .

I have just got injustice and was wondering could anyone share tips for it and fighting games in general .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Look at your losses to figure out WHY you lost, and practice that; e.g. if you're dropping combos, practice that combo until you can do it blindfolded.

Also pick a top tier character.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Choose 1 good character like Harley Quinn and own with her mix ups...pacman.gif

Seriously though, pick a strong character is a great start. Superman, Aquaman, Black Adam, Green Lantern or if you want to win without using your brain then Doomsday. There are other great characters like DeatherStroke and Killer Frost to name a few.

Type in the character you like on youtube along with combos and practice them. Watch top players play, get an idea of what to do from their gameplay and how to play and deal with certain situations.

Go on testyourmight.com for info on your kharacter. Its a good forum and the source for the game in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

The Hound wrote: »
    Choose 1 good character like Harley Quinn and own with her mix ups...pacman.gif

Seriously though, pick a strong character is a great start. Superman, Aquaman, Black Adam, Green Lantern or if you want to win without using your brain then Doomsday. There are other great characters like DeatherStroke and Killer Frost to name a few.

Type in the character you like on youtube along with combos and practice them. Watch top players play, get an idea of what to do from their gameplay and how to play and deal with certain situations.

Go on testyourmight.com for info on your kharacter. Its a good forum and the source for the game in general.

I could read this **** all day

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

ye harley's amazing in this game

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Hey I'm new to this forum . I have never really been into fighting games but all my friends play the usual ones and have regular tournaments so its about time I stop getting my ass kicked .

I have just got injustice and was wondering could anyone share tips for it and fighting games in general .

Welcome to the forum :)

As a matter of interest- do we know your friends? If there's more Irish people into playing in tournaments we're always looking for new blood :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

If you want to get into Street Fighter, this is a great post on really getting started.

http://crosscounter.tv/top-5-gateway-characters-for-new-players-in-street-fighter-iv/

"Many players linger in the beginning stages of their competitive understanding of a game for months, even years. Some players spend their entire competitive gaming experiences jumping from title to title looking for a game that fits them, while never truly transitioning beyond a beginner’s level of understanding in any of the games that they try out."

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

^^ Nail on the Noggin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Also, ask you friends for help. If you're continuosly getting blown up by a certain move/set-up, ask your mate who's doing it how to escape it. Most people will have no hassle pointing you in the right direction if you're getting caught up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Thanks for all the advise and links . Really appreciate it . I actually managed to win 3 ranked games today . I'm just going to keep practising the combos when I play and i need to work on my defense .

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

There's an injustice tournament on saturday as well http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056967037

Definitely worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Thanks for all the advise and links . Really appreciate it . I actually managed to win 3 ranked games today . I'm just going to keep practising the combos when I play and i need to work on my defense .

you on psn or xbl?
    there different people here on both systems.

you should try play in the lobbies too, in ranked you cant rematch so you can get more games in if your trying to learn or find out something.

also yes what jun said in the post above mine, theres a tourny this sat in dublin.
    were you in ireland? you and your friends should come along, more the better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

you on psn or xbl?
    there different people here on both systems.

you should try play in the lobbies too, in ranked you cant rematch so you can get more games in if your trying to learn or find out something.

also yes what jun said in the post above mine, theres a tourny this sat in dublin.
    were you in ireland? you and your friends should come along, more the better :D

I'm in cork so unfortunately I won't be able to go.
    I'm on xbox , if anyone wants to play give me a shout .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

I'm on xbox , if anyone wants to play give me a shout .

May be a bit difficult to get here but it would be worth it. And its not just dubliners attending, we usually get players from all over ireland so u might meet someone close to were you live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Despite living 9500km away now I still went "Ooh! A new player for Tempest" after I read this.

What other games beside Injustice do and your friends play? There's a couple of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter 4 players in Cork.

(Also, I used to hop up to Dublin on an Aircoach every month from Cork. €20 return, takes 2.5 hours. Understandable if you don't want to make that trip too often though.)
    I have never really been into fighting games but all my friends play the usual ones and have regular tournaments so its about time I stop getting my ass kicked .

Waitwaitwait. You're in Cork and there are regular tournaments? Are these the Tempests that used to be run in the New Port but more recently the Mardyke? More information please!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    Despite living 9500km

Any excuse not to come to a tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Any excuse not to come to a tournament
    I'd just feel bad if I came to a tournament without a monitor or a console in tow and my current setup has incompatible power requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimpy

Is injustice pretty good I hadn't heard of it, I know its like Mortal kombat which I tohught was surprisingly good. Has it got a popular online on PSN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Jimpy wrote: »
    Is injustice pretty good I hadn't heard of it, I know its like Mortal kombat which I tohught was surprisingly good. Has it got a popular online on PSN?

You should post in the Injustice Thread, 1man3letters will be your guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Jimpy wrote: »

it has DC chars in it,its made by same people that made mortal kombat but its pretty different.
    back to block instead of a block button for a example. the way you do strings is the same as mortal kombat though.

i like mortal kombat better out of the two but i really like injustice aswell.
    its good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Having said all that, and brushing up on the 'recording' thing, I just re-watched my first ever SF4 vid... And oh good god how f'ing embarrassingly awfully bad it was :pac:

Prepare to feel much better about it. Here's my first effort.

• Advertisement

I play on PC, too. In reality, no amount of any kind of online play on any system will get you seriously competitive in a tournament, I think. If you want to be a great online player, that's fine but you'll always be playing to that environment. The guys who win a lot online learn how to use the lag to their advantage and know when they're likely to drop difficult combos etc. and it changes how you play. Live, it's more about honing your reactions and learning the actual timings. You're still learning the game when you play online, sure but I think you'll always end up focusing on the wrong things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I think the very basics of fighting games are way more simple that people give them credit for, they're just not very obvious.

A lot of new players think being good is about pressing buttons fast, or doing mad complicated inputs where you spin a stick 720 degrees and press multiple buttons at the same time.

Really being good is about one thing:Thinking

Try to play thoughtfully, rather than just doing moves because its satisfying to do them, or it looks cool.

What's your plan with your character? Do that more.

What do you think your opponent's plan is with his character? Stop him from doing that (this is harder to figure out in random ranked matches, and easier in long sets with the same opponent).

I think maybe my biggest weakness in Street Fighter is that I'm bad at thinking and processing stuff as it's happening. I've lost so many tournament games because I like doing random moves and doing special moves is fun.

But against Ladnopoka in AE, for example, if I throw a fireball at the start of the round, and he jumps over it and hits me with a jumping roundhouse, he can combo me into a mix-up, combos me into a dizzy, and then combos me again into KO.

So I basically give away an entire round for free because I threw a fireball?

Why did I throw the fireball? Because I like throwing them...

What would I get if I hit with the fireball? About 50 damage...

"50 damage (out of a 1000 of Cody's HP)" versus "losing the entire round" would make you think that the risk reward was so massively in favour of not throwing the fireball I should I never ever start a round that way.

But I still find myself doing it, and I get mad at myself.

Because I'm playing without thinking.

I'm going full retard.

Never go full retard.

The second best tip I think is to get your opponents off the randomselect.ie players list, play the people here, and when you lose (and you probably will, don't worry about it), just ask them what you were doing wrong, and how you can get around their tactics in future.

Almost everyone here will tell you exactly what you need to do to beat them in pretty good detail, and then they'll continue to win; but you'll feel yourself getting incrimentally better.

Then when you go back to playing random people online, or your friends, you'll likely decimate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

I know Super Smash Bros is different to SF/Injustice/MK, but here's some things which are majorly important in SSB and may transfer over to the other games.

Know how to space:
    Keep out of the range of your opponent, but in close enough range to get in there, do what you want, then get out. It's all very good if you can do combos and take them to death, but if you can't, there's no point in doing a massive combo, it finishing, then the opponent taking you for a spin and killing you. Slowly wearing them down until they're in a killing range helps.

Know the lag of your moves:
    Know when the opponent can punish you. If you have a move which looks cool, but is slow to come out, or slow to finish, is it really worth it? You think 'but if it hits, it'll totally be worth it'. It won't hit. Your opponent will either hit you before the move hits them, or they'll dodge it, and hit you whilst you're in lag from finishing the move.

Know the lag of your opponent's moves:
    In reverse, know when you can hit your opponent. Know when it's a good idea to run into that attack or to run away. How long you get to start a combo before your opponent can do another attack. Punish them for doing stupid stuff.

Know your character:
    Know what does combo into things, know what doesn't combo into things. Know your bread and butter moves, then add on different things to that.

Know your opponent's character/your match up:
    Exact same as above, but know how to combo this character due to weight/height, and what you should be avoiding when they attack.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. These probably won't apply to whichever game you're on about, but just an idea for fighting games in general.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Tweej wrote: »
    lag of your moves
    Just as an aside, what you're referring to here is the startup ("lag" at the start) and the recovery ("lag" at the end) of a move. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Just as an aside, what you're referring to here is the startup ("lag" at the start) and the recovery ("lag" at the end) of a move. :)

I didn't want to use too much lingo, we use start up too, but cooldown instead of recovery :L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Cooldown sounds better. Can we use cooldown?...

I used to hit buttons a lot. Came from playing Soul Calibur 2. I think the out of range pokes thing is a double-edge sword, really; you should be looking for counter-hits from the right range i.e. if he sticks out a limb, you'll catch it. It's hard, especially for Chun with her floaty jump, to punish you for that. If you're out of range for even that, though, yeah, you need to curb that. You should also never feel bad for exploiting a weakness in another player's game; if it's working, don't even think in terms of 'scrubby'. Just be sure they're not baiting you into doing it to get a huge punish but few people do that. I would also say the TAP spam is likely a result of online play. Do a TAP more than once in a 3/5 set offline and you expect to get Ultra'd on reaction. Some players can DP a jab dash punch from sweep range (they know when you're charged and they can watch for the dust that appears when you rush; nothing safe causes it and at what PR Rog called the 'perfect range' range it's 14 frames before it connects).

Advertisement