Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What quaification is needed to do make-up artistry for photoshoots/TV?

• 12-06-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Firstly I want to say I know all of this is VERY ambitious and maybe not completely realistic.

What qualifications would actually be needed to be a make-up artist on the set of photoshoots, advertisements etc.? And is there anywhere in Dublin that would provide a good course without costing a ridiculous amount of money (if there is one haha)

I heard that the ITEC is important for working at makeup counters so I presume it is needed for shoots? But I have also heard that it is quite outdated so I'm not sure

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've moved your thread to the Beauty subforum :)

To get any sort of work like that you'd need an excellent portfolio. You get that by having the skills, and you get the skills by learning! Many artists in the industry start out by pairing up with an up and coming photographer and collaborating on (unpaid!) shoots with models, to build their portfolio. And many artists on counters would also work freelance doing shoots/TV work.

If you wanted to full on go back to college, IADT do a four year degree in Design for Stage and Screen http://iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/FacultiesCourses/FacultyofFilmArtCreativeTechnologies/BAHonoursinDesignforStageandScreen/

There are a ton of short courses you can do, but I think the portfolio is an absolutely essential part of that kind of industry, to show your versatility and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 StaceyO

Woops thought I posted it there, thank you :D

Thanks for the information, would the portfolio be the most essential part, yes? Is there any particular qualification that is 100% neccessary? Also do you know of any good courses in Dublin, I don't think I'd go back to a university.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

from someone who studied photography, its all portfolio, nothing else matters

• Registered Users Posts: 8 StaceyO

That's a great help, thank you :D

If anyone knows of courses which are good for learning skills rather than getting a degree, please let me know :D

Advertisement