Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Festival in Marlay Park 3rd/4th August?

Options
  • 12-06-2013 9:22pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Irishtimes.com
    As noted here last week, MCD and their best buddies at Festival Republic have lodged a licence application with Dun Laoaghaire Rathdown County Council for two multi-stage concerts at Marlay Park on August 3 and 4.

The full application is now online, but details about the two day event or series of shows are a little sketchy. For instance, there is no indication if the acts will be dance, metal, pop or rock, all of which would draw significantly different audiences. Indeed, the application was initially supposed to be for three concerts from August 3 to 31, but this was amended in pen to read 3rd and 4th August before being submitted (page 1 of application) on May 24 last.

What we do know are that the proposed concerts will have three stages – one main stage and two tented stages – and the capacity of the event will be 30,000 per day. Gates will open each day at 11am and the concert will run from noon to 11pm. Per the application, the audience profile is “likely to be predominantly in the age group 18-35 years” (the same profile as listed in the licence application to Kildare County Council for Oxegen – see page 7 here).

The rest of the application consists of a detailed event management plan with a traffic management plan, security proposals (again, UK-based companies SLS and Specialized Security are the contracted security companies), health and safety regulations, draft drawings of the site layout and other elements.

Since we wrote about the second planning application for Marlay Park last week, we’ve heard a lot of speculation (and please note that it really is just speculation at this stage) about what might be happening that weekend. One of the most intriguing pieces of speculation involves the promoters moving Oxegen, which is due to take place the same weekend in Punchestown Racecourse, to south county Dublin.

OTR understands from industry sources that Oxegen has been performing very poorly in terms of ticket sales to date. This might explain why the Marlay Park application features a much lower capacity than the 50,000 sought for Punchestown Racecourse (which itself was a 37.5 per cent reduction in capacity from Oxegen’s heyday). Of course, were Oxegen to move to Marlay Park and benefit from the fact that a lot of the site build will already have been done for Longitude (and also reduce the costs associated with setting up in Punchestown), it would have to be a non-camping festival.

The question now is when will the promoters show their hand regarding what is planned for Marlay Park on that weekend. You also have to wonder if the residents around Marlay Park are happy to give the nod to an event without knowing who will be playing. Maybe they need to give some of their local reps a call or make a submission to the council by the end of the month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Please be a rock gig.. queens of the stone age will do me..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Muse and/or Green day would make my lady friend very very happy!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Sadly i can see it being OXegen being moved :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Hoped it would be a reading precursor with green day/fob/nine inch nails but oxegen moving (unfortunately) makes sense..

Least itll teach MCD not to go down that lineup route again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

doesnt make sense for MCD to put something on that weekend to rival there own event Oxegen which is on that weekend.

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    doesnt make sense for MCD to put something on that weekend to rival there own event Oxegen which is on that weekend.

If it was a completely different lineup style it wouldnt make difference.. like rock in Marlay..
    have it appeal to people who wouldnt go to this years oxegen in a hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sadly i can see it being OXegen being moved :mad:

^ ^ This

If ticket sales are dire for Poxygen then it would make sense to shift it to Marley.

Would love it for 1 day to be a Rock/Metal day but can't see it

If it is Oxegen being moved then its really not a great Re-Launch of the "Oxegen Brand" . Can see Oxegen being no more after this year , They might do a festival similar but would be better off starting from scratch under a new name

Read the planning application in full.. it's for a dance/pop event.. Oxegen seemingly a definite..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Oxegen seemingly a definite..

:confused:

I pity the residents if it is Scumegen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shreddy Krueger

Read the planning application in full.. it's for a dance/pop event.. Oxegen seemingly a definite..

Any ideas where I can read it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Any ideas where I can read it ?

There's a link to it in Jim O'C's blog post:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2013/06/12/whats-on-the-cards-for-dublins-marlay-park-on-august-3-and-4

It can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Oxegen is camping though - are they planning to have camping in Marley Park??

nm wrote: »
    Oxegen is camping though - are they planning to have camping in Marley Park??

Camping will be gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Muse's latest offering was poppy dance

PLEASE BE MUSE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Er ... Biffy Clyro had a song on the X-Factor.
    Please be Biffy Clyro. :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Have i missed a post or wha?

what has poppy dance or x-factor got to do with things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Camping will be gone.

And any camping ticket already sold will be what, refunded?

How are they gonna work this

nm wrote: »
    And any camping ticket already sold will be what, refunded?

How are they gonna work this

Probably refund the difference between camping and not.

It is only rumour that it's oxegen of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Not a chance I'll be going if it is Oxegen, was pretty excited for this too.
    Tis a shame.

• Advertisement

Clemenza wrote: »
    Muse's latest offering was poppy dance

PLEASE BE MUSE! :D
    Er ... Biffy Clyro had a song on the X-Factor.
    Please be Biffy Clyro. :rolleyes:

Could be both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

What are MCD playing at this year?! I know very little about marketing/economics, but even I could have predicted that Oxegen was going to sell really badly. (Same with Bon Jovi, actually).

If they really are moving Oxegen, they're gonna make things worse: many of the people who paid for camping won't be from Dublin and will look for refunds, and it's not like anyone else who hasn't already got tickets is gonna buy some cause it's in Marlay instead of Punchestown. If it's something other than Oxegen, it doesn't make any sense for them to compete with their own event (although maybe they could pick something more rock-based with little to no overlap).

The application was originally for 3 events over the whole month of August though, so obviously their plans have changed (and very recently, considering the changes were handwritten onto the application). That could mean other parts of the plan also could be changed: having permission for three stages probably doesn't mean they HAVE to have three stages... I don't know. Could be costly summer for MCD...

Hoping if not oxegen for green day/fall out boy one day muse/biffy the next..
    Could be possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Hoping if not oxegen for green day/fall out boy one day muse/biffy the next..
    Could be possible..

Would love it if thats the outcome. Bit of a lack of rock gigs/festivals this year

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

where exactly does it say that?

Good few pages down, theres a list done which has type of event, capacity & a few other bits.

Says type of event: dance/pop and capacity: <30,000

would MCD be stupid enough to eliminate the camping aspect from oxegen though?.. interesting weeks ahead..

this is said on the bottom of page 30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

would MCD be stupid enough to eliminate the camping aspect from oxegen though?.. interesting weeks ahead..

why would it be stupid of them if they eliminated camping? I'd say if they could pull off a 3 day event without camping they'd go for it. Camping can only cost money and not make a cent. Extra security costs, toilets etc and there's the bad media reports of what goes on in Oxegen campsites too:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

why would it be stupid of them if they eliminated camping? I'd say if they could pull off a 3 day event without camping they'd go for it. Camping can only cost money and not make a cent. Extra security costs, toilets etc and there's the bad media reports of what goes on in Oxegen campsites too:eek:

Why did they ever have camping so? I'd imagine camping is a nice earner

Advertisement