Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Festival in Marlay Park 3rd/4th August?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

As a local I hope ta fook it's not Oxegen! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

a guest on todays Matt Cooper show on Today FM was on talking about this weekends Bon Jovi/Neil Young gigs and she mentioned that this Marley Park weekend included a Stone Roses gig which hadnt been announced yet:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭bennyl10

a guest on todays Matt Cooper show on Today FM was on talking about this weekends Bon Jovi/Neil Young gigs and she mentioned that this Marley Park weekend included a Stone Roses gig which hadnt been announced yet:cool:

Seriously?!

As much as im not a big stone roses fan and think theyre incredibly overrated, at least they play guitars!

Them on one & hopefully another rock act on the 4th.. 2(possible) days,of rock music.. please let MCD finally have seen the light

But didnt tge stone roses struggle to get close to selling Phoenix Park?.. worth putting them in Marlay from MCD's point of view?

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Seriously?!

As much as im not a big stone roses fan and think theyre incredibly overrated, at least they play guitars!

Them on one & hopefully another rock act on the 4th.. 2(possible) days,of rock music.. please let MCD finally have seen the light

But didnt tge stone roses struggle to get close to selling Phoenix Park?.. worth putting them in Marlay from MCD's point of view?
    Yeah thats what i was thinking..them and 1 other major rock act headlining over 2 days with a good support..dont think Marleys capacity is quite as big as the park although its really late to sell tickets at this stage.
    Can anyone remember the gap between the announcement and the gig for Kasabian/Noel in Marley last year cos think it was a similiar timeframe 6-8 weeks?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Ye I think it was 4 weeks only. Anywhere I can listen back to what she said? Who is she? how does she know?

• Advertisement

Ye I think it was 4 weeks only. Anywhere I can listen back to what she said? Who is she? how does she know?
    she works for the Irish Times and is the first guest on the show so click on part 1 ..first go to http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Matt-Cooper/podcasting.aspx ..then Listen via Media Player..then "Listen Back" Tab(to the left of podcast tab)..then Matt Cooper Show..then friday..then part 1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Doubt that MCD would have the staff to cover organising and running two events over the one weekend

Bambi wrote: »
    Doubt that MCD would have the staff to cover organising and running two events over the one weekend

the staff aren't MCD, they're all given to outside companies, cover certainly wouldn't be an issue.

Oxegens facebook is giving away a festival pack.. would they really be doing it if was to be moved?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Oxegens facebook is giving away a festival pack.. would they really be doing it if was to be moved?..

I don't see what the difference would be? :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Feck. I'm away that weekend and would love to see the Stone Roses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

SV wrote: »
    I don't see what the difference would be? :S

Because the Marley Park thing isn't a festival.....no camping

the staff aren't MCD, they're all given to outside companies, cover certainly wouldn't be an issue.

MCD hand over duties like artist liason and site management to third parties? I Doubt it

Because the Marley Park thing isn't a festival.....no camping

I get the feeling they'd still call it a festival though, I'm not convinced

MCD hand over duties like artist liason and site management to third parties? I Doubt it

All security and site organisation over the coursr of the even is third party..
    I imagine they have an awful lot of people who could provide artist liason. Hell i'll do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Unfortunately the Marley Park concerts are for Oxegen, not for any potential rock concert :(

I think it is a plan B type thing if sales remain low but cannot be sure. The change aint going to be popular anyway - no camping :/

timmywex wrote: »
    Unfortunately the Marley Park concerts are for Oxegen, not for any potential rock concert :(

I think it is a plan B type thing if sales remain low but cannot be sure. The change aint going to be popular anyway - no camping :/

You sound very certain of this.. source?

Festival republic woukdnt sumbit an application if there wasn't something definite organised.. They originally had 3 gigs booked/planned judging my application.. could easily be 2 of these.

You sound very certain of this.. source?

Festival republic woukdnt sumbit an application if there wasn't something definite organised.. They originally had 3 gigs booked/planned judging my application.. could easily be 2 of these.

Well first off MCD/Festival Republic cant pull off two large festivals like this in the same weekend, anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously never worked in event production or management :P

If you look at the Marlay Park application and the Oxegen Application youll see that the same people are listed for event controller, deputies, security co-ordinator, fire safety co-ordinator, safety co-ordinator etc etc. These people need to be on site at all times so simply cannot cover the two events

Well first off MCD/Festival Republic cant pull off two large festivals like this in the same weekend, anyone who thinks otherwise has obviously never worked in event production or management :P

Nah, apparently you just sub all that stuff out to third parties, maybe to the guys who provide the food stalls. MCD just stick the deposit down and put up posters :D

Also, longitude is being called a festival and that's in marlay park with no camping.
    It's 100% moving there I'm thinking, what a shame.

There better be refunds offered :/

• Advertisement

Nah, apparently you just sub all that stuff out to third parties, maybe to the guys who provide the food stalls. MCD just stick the deposit down and put up posters :D

You of course need safety officers there, but mcd do tend out security and site management arrangment.

MCD do need fire officers of there own and if its the same listed for both then oxegen would make sense,

Be interested to see another MCD arrangement that clashed with another to see if the officers listed on the application differed.

If you look at the Marlay Park application and the Oxegen Application youll see that the same people are listed for event controller, deputies, security co-ordinator, fire safety co-ordinator, safety co-ordinator etc etc. These people need to be on site at all times so simply cannot cover the two events

If you look at both site manager differs between them and fire officer is listed as going to a company, who I'm assuming MCD use for all.
    Some are the same but some differ,
    Be interesting to see where MCD go :)

You of course need safety officers there, but mcd do tend out security and site management arrangment.

MCD do need fire officers of there own and if its the same listed for both then oxegen would make sense,

Be interested to see another MCD arrangement that clashed with another to see if the officers listed on the application differed.

MCD dont clash events for this very reason.

Security/site management is not just fobbed off. It still comes under their control of event controller, extra staff are just brought in via these agencies.

Theres also a finite amount of:
    Security
    Spare Gardai
    Medics
    ProtoLoo's
    Fencing
    Stages
    Sound Equipment
    People to operate sound equipment
    Stage Hands
    Food Outlets
    etc
    etc
    etc

But most of all - Theres a fairly finite amount of - people bothered to pay! :)

If you dont believe all the other roles then take event controller, this has to be a "suitably" qualified person, and theres certainly not many of them around. Marlay is i assume a back up in case Oxegen sales dont pick up at all, a fairly safe bet that it will be used aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

But will they even have enough people to justify holding it at Marlay? If they've barely sold half as it is, and then 100s of people want refunds when they cancel the camping... Unless they try to have camping somewhere else, and bus everyone in and out? The whole thing is a mess.

But will they even have enough people to justify holding it at Marlay? If they've barely sold half as it is, and then 100s of people want refunds when they cancel the camping... Unless they try to have camping somewhere else, and bus everyone in and out? The whole thing is a mess.

half of what? 50k tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

half of what? 50k tickets?

TBH I don't know, loads of different figures are being thrown around (ranging from 9000 to 25000!) so I didn't want to speculate at random. I'm guessing if they're really considering moving to Marlay it must be way short of the 50k capacity though.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

So how credible is this person talking about the roses on the radio. I've seen them in Manchester but I just wish they'd do a few indoors gigs at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

There would have to be some interesting discussions with the management of the artists already announced as the headliners if they were getting poster bumped for the Stone Roses. Crazier things have happened but my thinking is this might be MCD feeding her misinformation as either distraction or perhaps to test the water to see if there is a decent response online to it.

Jim Carroll who basically broke the Marlay Park rumours doesn't seem to have mentioned it and he is also an Irish Times contributor so it seems a bit odd he'd hold back on that while the other reporter went ahead and said it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

So how credible is this person talking about the roses on the radio. I've seen them in Manchester but I just wish they'd do a few indoors gigs at some point

They did two in Paris during the long weekend - 1,400 capacity venues.

After Glasgow today, the Roses have no other gig until August 9th in Tokyo. Would seem a bit strange if they played another European city 6 weeks after the Glasgow show.

• Advertisement

Toast wrote: »
    There would have to be some interesting discussions with the management of the artists already announced as the headliners if they were getting poster bumped for the Stone Roses. Crazier things have happened but my thinking is this might be MCD feeding her misinformation as either distraction or perhaps to test the water to see if there is a decent response online to it.

Jim Carroll who basically broke the Marlay Park rumours doesn't seem to have mentioned it and he is also an Irish Times contributor so it seems a bit odd he'd hold back on that while the other reporter went ahead and said it on the radio.

They wouldnt be bumped down without MCD having to pay them huge amounts. Think of the figures that were released in relation to EP recently enough, whatever band it was got 50,000 as compensation for not being headliner. Cant see mcd paying that tbh

Advertisement